So what do you guys think about this Timo Tolkki business?

It was the least that Timo could to, to come and clarify all the things, and that shows guts, and so, I retire all the shit I said about him, and, finally, Mr. Tolkki, you're completely RIGHT when you say that the CD prices are WAY, WAY too fuckin' high, specially in so called "3rd world" countries, like Brazil (I'm brazilian), where a single dollar is exchanged for no less than R$ 3,25 (Real = R$ = brazilian money), so you can imagine how the manufacture works can make a CD way, too expensive, even more the imported CDs! So, that's why I consider MP3s so important, at least for me, so I can listen to a band's work BEFORE I buy the CD, so I don't spend my "precious" money in trashy things, got it?!

Well, that's what I got to say, for instance...

Hands down, thanks for making it clear mr. Tolkki. Nice to hear the other side of the story from the man himself.

Well hello there, Timo Tolkki!

I just noticed, that you called me a liar.... whoah! I checked that topic from Strato board and yes, you banned a person with nick "tpalkki", who has some knowledge of the laws! I'm not sure if there were others as well, I was too tired to read the whole topic again.

And about that "how much did it cost" thing... I meant that it doesn't really matter, how much you spend money on your album, it still doesn't give us any guarantee, that the music on the album is any better. Of course it has a lot to do with sound qualities and other things like that.

Anyways, I wish you guys all the best and I hope I didn't offend you too much!:)

Originally posted by Janina
I just noticed, that you called me a liar.... whoah! I checked that topic from Strato board and yes, you banned a person with nick "tpalkki", who has some knowledge of the laws! I'm not sure if there were others as well, I was too tired to read the whole topic again.
Actually tpalkki said something else too, not just nice things.

And about that "how much did it cost" thing... I meant that it doesn't really matter, how much you spend money on your album, it still doesn't give us any guarantee, that the music on the album is any better. Of course it has a lot to do with sound qualities and other things like that.
But still it's not right to spread the album before the releasedate. And I did buy Kamelot's new album when I'd heard only one song. I will buy Stratovarius' new album, even if I've heard only 3 songs and two of them were clips.

You're just greed. That's why you say things like that. If I don't like the album, I can always sell it. Why can't you?

Originally posted by Willith
Tkjl;kjlj . \m/
:lol: Are you making fun of him? Hehe
I honestly don't give a single turd if he replyed to the forum. I still think he's a dick and I have no desire to buy nor to download any of his flowerry crap he calls music.

@Heidi, I never said, that it's ok for someone to put an album online before it's been released! Actually, I never download mp3's on my comp, so don't accuse me of being greed! I buy a lot of albums which I haven't even heard, maybe just one or two songs... If I hear a good song in a metalbar here, I ask about the band and buy the album as soon as I find it.

But I don't see why we should start fighting here, you don't know me and I don't know you... It's always difficult to express your feelings by writing, we might even agree on somethings, if we ever got the chance to meet face to face.:)

Originally posted by Dado-x
:lol: Are you making fun of him? Hehe
I honestly don't give a single turd if he replyed to the forum. I still think he's a dick and I have no desire to buy nor to download any of his flowerry crap he calls music.

Watch your comments..insulting Timo is no more acceptable here than insulting Mike Romeo, or any of SymX, or any of the other people posting here, for that matter. Debate your difference of opinion in a respectable adult manner, or take your opinion elsewhere..this goes for everyone.

What I do not understand is the knee-jerk reaction to mp3s, the thought that any sort of mp3 proliferation is bad. The fact is, if it weren't for mp3s, many of us wouldn't have discovered bands like Stratovarius, Symphony X, and a host of others. I know of people who didn't realize that good metal was still alive until they found mp3s! Because of the mp3s out there, MANY, MANY people have purchased scads of CDs.

mp3s only harm sales when someone downloads, doesn't buy, and keeps listening to the music. That generally only is a problem for the Top 40 crap bands who have no real substance. Let's face it, anyone who hears something that moves them WILL start buying CDs, merchandise and will try to catch concerts.

I will d/l things to see if I want to purchase a CD. If it really appeals to me, I will purchase CDs, t-shirts (what few bands will have them in small, mind you...) and become a fan. If it doesn't...DELETE and move on. How is that different from hearing it on a radio? Because I have the file on my computer? If any radio stations in my area didn't suck, I could just as easily tape record a song. That doesn't mean bands are wanting to not be played on the radio, does it? A taped song off the radio is probably of better quality than an mp3, or similar. Of course, they don't play anything worth taping on the stations in these parts...

There is virtually no threat to bands who have substance, talent and respectability. Who the hell would want to listen to only mp3s of their favourite music? The quality is crap, you don't have the lyrics, no cool artwork, nothing to blast in the car or the home stereo (okay, you can with some devices, but it sounds like ass). No one who would consider themselves a fan of any sort of music would have only mp3s.

When it comes to underground music forms, getting the music out there to be found will only help to get it sold.

And, yes, I've been close with many unsigned/independant/small contract-type bands for many years so I know what it's taken to get the music out there and the band known.

If someone enjoys your music, respects your talents, they will buy regardless of the availability mp3s.

Originally posted by evlgt85

The quality is crap, you don't have the lyrics, no cool artwork, nothing to blast in the car or the home stereo (okay, you can with some devices, but it sounds like ass). No one who would consider themselves a fan of any sort of music would have only mp3s.

Everything you said, minus the above, is truth and consists of honesty. Unfortunatly, not everyone is honest.

But my point in this post is to disagree with your point about mp3's sounding like crap. Encoded at a high enough bitrate, and the right software is used, you most definatly won't hear a diffrence. Yes, by encoding, and decoding the wave files, your losing information, but it consists of data you cannot hear anyways.

I've been making mp3's, and decoding them to wave to burn for years, and they sound great in my car and at my pc.

It's for sure though, that people have taken this technology for their own dis-honest personal gain. There are full albums, as well as full album art available for download these days.

I stilll don't agree with a lot of the things he did/is doing, but you gotta admit that not everyone would confront their fans/non-fans this way.

Originally posted by Lady of the Oracle
Watch your comments..insulting Timo is no more acceptable here than insulting Mike Romeo, or any of SymX, or any of the other people posting here, for that matter. Debate your difference of opinion in a respectable adult manner, or take your opinion elsewhere..this goes for everyone.
Fine.

Originally posted by The King Of Terrors
"Watch your comments..insulting Timo is no more acceptable here than insulting Mike Romeo, or any of SymX, or any of the other people posting here, for that matter. Debate your difference of opinion in a respectable adult manner, or take your opinion elsewhere..this goes for everyone."

Agreed 100%. It's also pretty funny to see people backing down so quickly after they were confronted with Timo himself. It's the same thing on the BG forum; the band members, especially Marcus Siepen, check the forum pretty often and post as well. Disputes there are often quickly worked out when one of the band members posts his opinion on something - faster than you can holler a random Blind Guardian chorus most everyone has miraculously changed his initial opinion to fit that of the band member that posted :lol:

I for one felt guilty after seeing his post and realized that what I said wasn't good. Guilt is one of those things that hits me hard from time to time. I sit on someone's face and fart and they cry, I get guilty. Waaaaaaaa!!!! :( :cry:

Originally posted by Janina
@Heidi, I never said, that it's ok for someone to put an album online before it's been released! Actually, I never download mp3's on my comp, so don't accuse me of being greed! I buy a lot of albums which I haven't even heard, maybe just one or two songs... If I hear a good song in a metalbar here, I ask about the band and buy the album as soon as I find it.

But I don't see why we should start fighting here, you don't know me and I don't know you... It's always difficult to express your feelings by writing, we might even agree on somethings, if we ever got the chance to meet face to face.:)

I just hate when people try to make excuses. :( So no offence. It wasn't an attack against you. It's just that if we have managed in the 60's without hearing the album begore releasing, why can't we do it now? Of course we don't know if the album is good or not but that doesn't mean you can download it. :(

Heidi, I know you are passionette in your opinion, but why fight it? Mp3s are here to stay; you're never going to be able to get rid of them. The probability that mp3s are done away with is about the same as the probability that abortion is outlawed once again in the United States.

Originally posted by BastrdDrmr
Heidi, I know you are passionette in your opinion, but why fight it? Mp3s are here to stay; you're never going to be able to get rid of them. The probability that mp3s are done away with is about the same as the probability that abortion is outlawed once again in the United States.
As long as no one makes excuses, I don't fight. And it's hard to be alone...

I won't deny that I have downloaded songs from you guys (Strato and SymphonyX) in fact I'm not ashamed of saying that I have The entire album of divine wings of tragedy in my computer, after I knew SymphonyX and becoming a fan (I consider myself a SYX fan!!) I bought the Odyssey and I bought "live in the edge of forever", I even went to the show in fort lauderdale, Florida (although they didnt go) I was going to buy a shirt from them but there were none because they werent there.

I felt that symphony X is a band worthy of support after hearing comments from the fans saying how nice they are in the shows and everything, i'm aware that their great music is still underground because not many people like complex music, If i wouldnt hear that kind of comments I've probably be hearing it illegally.

Sorry for not having money, and for not having the time to search where to buy it, the way I support band is by going to their shows and buying their shirts.

As for Tolki...you are a great musician, but that does not mean that you don't want me as fan, that just created negative publicity.

There's a difference between officially sanctioned mp3s, such as both Strato and SymX have made available on their sites, and downloading entire pirated cds on mp3, especially before the release date. I don't think the people who are siding with the bands are disputing the validity of the former, but are rather disputing the morality of doing the latter..AFAIK, no one is saying mp3s should be eliminated completely, so let's not jump to that conclusion.