SOAD - Toxicity

Another band I've never understood what all the fuss was about. No matter how much I try and get into them I just can't. Out of tune vocals, the vocal style, the cheesy music, etc. Sorry, I just don't get it. :erk:
Listent to their very first album, "System of a down". It has a few of the best songs I have ever heard.

I am one of those who think serj is often off tune. I think his voice lacks something technically. Live it's like he is lacking air or don't pushes enough from his stomack, but I like him a lot. But I hate that Daron sings too...

Toxicity has the best production, but it is also less powerful than the first one. It's too controlled, tempos are too slow IMO, it's a great album and will stay as one of the most known metal albums of all time but still, the first had something very very special. Like if they didn't care of the usual metal standards. From a today point of view you have to get into it with another ear than the one you use to listen to today supertight overscooped tones, but it's really worth it.

After steal this album which also contains great songs, for me it's like the band just died.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought they were awesome in middle school. I grew out of them eventually, they were just a gateway band for me. I tried to enjoy the record again before, couldn't do it.

Well same here, I'd never actually listen to them nowadays, but I still maintain a heavy amount of respect for everything they did before those sickening monuments of faeces they like to call "Mezmerize" and "Hypnotize." Something went badly wrong there.
But yeah, I'd still say Toxicity is a sick album, just never listen to it, if that makes any sense. :L

Well same here, I'd never actually listen to them nowadays, but I still maintain a heavy amount of respect for everything they did before those sickening monuments of faeces they like to call "Mezmerize" and "Hypnotize." Something went badly wrong there.
But yeah, I'd still say Toxicity is a sick album, just never listen to it, if that makes any sense. :L
I don't listen to it either, cause I listened too much to it when I was a teenager. I literally listened to it 2 times a day for months and months.

I definitely hear sloppiness, but that has to be the best sloppiness in the world. It's perfect IMO, and Yes Tankian is an outstanding vocalist, reminds me of a middle Eastern Patton haha

he's not on the same level as patton, but they actually did a tune together for a movie that never got very far in production called "Bird's Eye" a year ago or so

it's alright

I recall reading somewhere that under every distorted guitar track there was an acoustic track recorded underneath playing exactly the same thing to give a percussive/top end tone, think it was in a total guitar mag from years ago, not sure why that stuck in my mind..........

Listent to their very first album, "System of a down". It has a few of the best songs I have ever heard.

I am one of those who think serj is often off tune. I think his voice lacks something technically. Live it's like he is lacking air or don't pushes enough from his stomack, but I like him a lot. But I hate that Daron sings too...

Toxicity has the best production, but it is also less powerful than the first one. It's too controlled, tempos are too slow IMO, it's a great album and will stay as one of the most known metal albums of all time but still, the first had something very very special. Like if they didn't care of the usual metal standards. From a today point of view you have to get into it with another ear than the one you use to listen to today supertight overscooped tones, but it's really worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXwLxcSniGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDX9zvajgrg

After steal this album which also contains great songs, for me it's like the band just died.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've tried to get into these guys with all of their albums over the past 12 years or so, but my last attempt was about 5 years ago. Perhaps I shall give them another spin to see if anything has changed.

I like SOAD a lot. I agree that Serj sings out of tune on some live shows. I like Daron singing. He is a great singer.

The main thing that ruined the last two albums for me was the fact that he became the primary singer over Serj.

The main thing that ruined the last two albums for me was the fact that he became the primary singer over Serj.

Isn't this part of the reason why the band split?

Edit: can't really find any evidence to support this after searching. Seems that they are just on hiatus.

Isn't this part of the reason why the band split?

Edit: can't really find any evidence to support this after searching. Seems that they are just on hiatus.

well they are touring next year in the European festivals.

I really dug the last two albums actually! agreed Daron did take over singing duties a little too much, none the less some cool stuff!

I recall reading somewhere that under every distorted guitar track there was an acoustic track recorded underneath playing exactly the same thing to give a percussive/top end tone, think it was in a total guitar mag from years ago, not sure why that stuck in my mind..........

I'm not sure if its this I can hear in that clip of just guitar posted before, but I can hear like an "acoustically recorded" electric guitar or something in the Chop Suey Clip.

Can anyone else hear this. Esp towards the end?

I'm not sure if its this I can hear in that clip of just guitar posted before, but I can hear like an "acoustically recorded" electric guitar or something in the Chop Suey Clip.

Can anyone else hear this. Esp towards the end?

Sounds like he was standing next to the amp while he was tracking

I remember reading that they had the amp pointed at a wall of acoustic guitars with no strings... it kind of sounds like it in the bridge of Radio/Video

I lost interest/quit playing guitar when music took a nose-dive in the in the mid to late 90s. I started up again in 2003 after listening to SOAD. I don't know what it was, but there was something about them I really liked and it lit a fire under my ass.

I remember reading that they had the amp pointed at a wall of acoustic guitars with no strings... it kind of sounds like it in the bridge of Radio/Video

They did that on the Memorize/Hypnotize albums.