SOD cover

insidethefall

somewhere nowhere
Jan 26, 2003
pittsburgh, pa
Visit site
I really dig the artwork for "Sounds Of Decay" (look at my avatar if you dont believe me :) ) Does anyone know if this is a real painting/photograph? I mean, I know that Discouraged Ones is a known painting (In fact there is actually a Novel that uses the same image) or is it something that was done just for katatonia? Maybe Jonas or Anders can answer if nobody else knows?

If I'm not mistaken the cover was chosen by Roberto Mammarella of Avantgarde and it is taken from a film, if I remember well...It should represent something like God commiting suicide.

Originally posted by insidethefall
I know that Discouraged Ones is a known painting (In fact there is actually a Novel that uses the same image)

Do you know anything more about this? I'd like to know who did the painting and what novel you're referring to. The cover of D.O. is one of my alltime favourite artworks.

this cover is supposedly a still from the movie "Begotten"... and should be God comitting suicide. Roberto, with his ever morbid taste, came up with it after we expressed the sound...of decay. I still haven't watched the movie. Is there anyone who has???

I checked it out, and the description sounds really cool . . . I think i'm going to pic kit up after school today.

Originally posted by Blakkheim
this cover is supposedly a still from the movie "Begotten"... and should be God comitting suicide. Roberto, with his ever morbid taste, came up with it after we expressed the sound...of decay. I still haven't watched the movie. Is there anyone who has???

Yeah, I've seen it... it's EXTREMELY abstract movie, makes no sense unless your extremely on drugs basically. But the imagery is very cool. Disturbing to say the least..

Originally posted by jesse
Yeah, I've seen it... it's EXTREMELY abstract movie, makes no sense unless your extremely on drugs basically. But the imagery is very cool. Disturbing to say the least..

ahh... u out of all people!!! hahah... well, it seems all people that saw this movie says it's as bizarre and abstract as something Lynch would do (Eraserhead..) but without ANY SENSE WHAT SO EVER. maybe the movie was written, directed and shot while on drugs as well..

seen it now.. it was realy.... weird.
actualy, since i read the plot on imdb before, it does make some sence (atleast you know what all the stuff is supposed to be)
but indeed it was definetly one of the weirdest things i have seen...