Soldano vs. 5150 vs 5150III

I think it's hilarious that a few months ago everyone here was raving about the 5150 III, and now from one comparison everyone is acting like it's horrible. It's all in the settings used... I almost always tend to hate these comparison clips where each amp uses "the same settings"... or with all settings left at noon... they never truly represent the best each amp can sound.

I personally can't think of a single modern metal recording that used a Soldano that I actually like. It just doesn't have the same aggressive grind...

Also, the 5150 is based on the SLO, not the hot rod... and the 5150 is more sizzly/fizzy than the 5150 III in real life, side by side (not that that's necessarily a bad thing... but everyone here was thinking the EVH was really fizzy)

yeah, the 5153 can definitely sound better with the treble a bit lower...
that's actually one of the complaints I'm having about that amp...with the treble below 11:30 it sounds too dark, above 12:30 it sounds too bright....(for EMGs)
this is definitely the best tone you can get from the 5153...or from the Soldano for that matter

I think you left out the word "not" there, Lasse. =P

I think it's hilarious that a few months ago everyone here was raving about the 5150 III, and now from one comparison everyone is acting like it's horrible. It's all in the settings used...

definitely true, this clip was not meant to show that one amp sounds better than the other...that's not possible without using the sweetspot settings for each amp of course (like you said already)

Also, the 5150 is based on the SLO, not the hot rod...
well, the OD channel of the HR100+ and of the SLO100 are pretty much identical, the main difference is that the HR doesn't have the bright and crunch switches for the clean channel..well and the DeYoung transformers of course)

A... and the 5150 is more sizzly/fizzy than the 5150 III in real life, side by side (not that that's necessarily a bad thing... but everyone here was thinking the EVH was really fizzy)

I have to disagree here, at least when comparing to the biasmodded 6505/5150 (which was used in this clip) the 5153 is quite a bit fizzier IMO..but it's in a slightly different range, the treble pot is VERY dangerous on the 5153.....
nevertheless it's a great amp, and this clip doesn't show the best sound of the 5153....nor does it show the best sound for the 5150 and the Soldano...
the sole purpose of this clip was of course just to show how similar they sound with the same settings...NOT to show that one sounds better than the other

I think you left out the word "not" there, Lasse. =P

yes, fixed ;)

The 5150III just sounds a touch more fizzy, a high end roll off would sort that.
Any of the three could work well in a mix.
As a guy on a budget there's no way I'd be coughing up the extra bucks for a SLO.

I don't quite get where people are coming from by saying the 5150 and the Soldano sound near identical... it's a night and day difference to me.

Count me in as well. I think they sound about as different as two different amps should be expected to sound. The texture seems very different to me. On the topic of the SLO, and this clip sounds very very similar to a SLO regardless of what name is on the amp, the soldano always sounds fuller and smoother with more emphasis on the voicing while the 5150 tends to sound grittier and hairier with a slightly masked voicing due to the noise. I also have their respective circuit schematics, and they are anything but alike, save for that cold clip stage, but one could hardly call them identical amps sharing only one feature. It boggles the mind when people say that they sound identical.

would you be less happy if it was a 6505? :)

No! That would be cool.

The Soldano sounds VERY different to me. But I prefer the tone of the 5150 in this clip. The Soldano sounds fantastic though but for this particular cut of music the 5150 wins for me.

The 5153 is sort of meh.

well, the OD channel of the HR100+ and of the SLO100 are pretty much identical, the main difference is that the HR doesn't have the bright and crunch switches for the clean channel..well and the DeYoung transformers of course)

Going to have to disagree with you there. Having owned both these amps in the past, while the general circuit for the lead channel on both might be extremely similar on paper, they are not nearly the same in real life.

All these high gain amps (be it Dual Rec, 5150, Uberschall, etc.) share a common design, which was introduced by Soldano in the late 80's. These may have different tonestacks, power amp designs, enhancements - but you can always hear the similarities on the tones. We are splitting hairs here.

Honestly you need to EQ match the output tracks of different amps so that you are only judging the result by the distortion characteristics, rather than the output spectral character, as is currently the case.

C.N. - what's different about your 5150 and your 6505?

My 5150 has a bit more bass, more open top end, and more grind. The 6505 sounds great too, but I like the 5150 90% of the time playing rhythm. Leads are a bit more of a tossup but then again, that grind I'm talking about is in the low mids.
I call bullshit on on people saying they are exactly the same amp (although the schematic might be). Opening em both up, the pots are different on both amps (among other differences I can't remember by memory).

Both amps may be close,but to say they're exactly the same is like woah. I'd much rather keep the 5150 if I had to make a choice. That has nothing to do with collector BS either. In-fact, I got the 6505 to replace the 5150 and it can't. I tried biasing identically with matched tubes across both and still no go.:/

I actually think the 5150 and the 5153 sound MUCH more similar than the Soldano and the 5150...guys, listen to the midrange as well as the highend(fizz), it's COMPLETELY different on the soldano

Yep, spot on. Listened to them in 720p through a set of Yammy HS-80s and the 5150 and the 5153 sound very similar on my monitors. The soldano sticks out like dogs nuts compared to the other 2. I can not hear what others are saying about the 5150 and the Soldano being so close!

5150>5153>Soldano for me.

You do realize the "Signature", "Block Letter" and 6505 are all the same amps right. Everything in them is identical sans the power tube manufacturer of the tubes that comes stock ....lol

I cant yet say for sure, but reputable people have said that Peavey has made some circuit tweaks somewhere along the line and that this is reflected in the new manufactured 6505s. If anything, they sound better. As much as I hate saying that.

Didnt read all the posts but i gotta say that sometimes i feel that shootouts are not used properly to draw conclusions.. Dont get me wrong the shootouts are the one thing that has helped me more than ANYTHING else i can think of. But they tend to be taken like these are THE sound of the amps and we tend to forget that amps have knobs! so all these clips could sound different.. I am not criticizing anyone here i OFTEN fall into that trap myself.

Now as to the shootout:
1- they all sound kick ass! but im not surprised as Lasse doesnt tend to suck too much at tracking amps :)
2- in that clip i did prefer the 5150 to the soldano because of the mids. in that clip. but im interested to hear futur clips as Lasse gets used to the amp more..
3- 5150 vs 5153: i love them both. Last month i was considering getting a EVH and went through all the old shootouts i had archived. But decided i like the original just a TINY bit more for metal.

Thanks a lot for the shootout!
4- Id be happy with any of these amps!