soloing skills

livingtodie

Mar 24, 2004
i recently got myself into soloing.
learned the diminished scales and pentatonic scales
and been playing around with them for a while so i could play
some riffs that sounds decent. but the problem is that they're all repetitive.
do you guys have any tips in soloing,
like when you solo, where and how do you tend to move?
i personally start off on a central note and move around and
always go back to the central note after a couple of notes,
and it sounds alright but its just a bit too repetitive.
any tips?

I can't provide much insight on this one, because I'm not into solos a lot, but that changed a bit since I moved from the very dark sounding (jazzy) Fender 0.10 to D'addario EXL120 0.09... when I'm trying to solo, I don't follow any patterns/scales, but I tend to start always with the same few licks that worked previously for me and then let the rest flow. I'm not very technician when it comes to this, I'm more of a noteshooter, but I tend to do bends here and there for expression. I think listening to jazz and blues helped me a lot in my style of soloing. Try to improvise as much as possible with backing tracks, record yourself and next time, try to take a different direction...

Hope it helps

first of all: I'm not very good at soloing myself, I just dont practice enough, so I may not be the of great help here, but my suggestions would be:

try using different technics, do bendings, play in different speeds (8th, 16th, triplets....), maybe do a few long, screaming notes (something with the trem maybe or some harmonics), move through different octaves (you said you keep coming back to the central note, why not try to go from that same note one octave higher/lower after the first part?)

I play bass, but solo frequently. Any musician who think's soloing is gay should reconsider their position immediately after choosing that one. Soloing should be the musicians expression of the feelings they have at the moment. I find your saying that you recently got yourself into soloing kinda strange. But that's not the point.

Whatever you do, when soloing, STAY IN KEY. You seem relatively new to guitar, so until you've found for yourself where something will sound good out of key, don't experiment. You've got plenty of notes in that scale for the meantime. Same with bends. If it sounds REALLY off to you, don't do it.

For direction, the best advice i can give you is to play what you're hearing, or feeling, or hopefully both. Whatever melody you're feeling at the moment, play it. Unless you have a shitty sense of what sounds good or not (and few people do) you can't go wrong. If you want to start being a progressive guy and all that, well most people in their solos will just move up and down, rarely skipping around degrees of a scale. If you want to stand out from that crowd, try screwing around with different patterns. A great person to look to for that is Alex Skolnik of Testament, Michael Romeo of Symphony X, and much of jazz, funk, blues. Even the jazz funk and blues riffs themselves will have plenty of interesting patterns to learn from and apply to metal soloing.

You're sounding repetitive huh? I know what that feels like...just keep doing it, and listening to other stuff. Instead of just listening to a solo, pay attention to how the guy is playing, and try to imitate it in different contexts. After that, try meshing it with what you're doing in the first place.

And the most important part, of course, is to keep going, keep creating. The more you do, the better you'll get.

In the case of creating something that is well structured harmonically, its more important where you go then how you get there. In the case of showing off or being flashy, though, its really about how you play the notes. What you want is a good balance between the two of these. If you looked at a guitar solo in terms of pitch, it folows patterns... either up or down. Theres nowhere else to go. However, you make it more interesting by alternating stuff alot. The basic structure of any solo could be pretty simple. It's the fine details that usually make the difference. What a guitar solo is, in literal form, is usually playing up and down scales. Thats a pretty terrible aproach to it though, and players who think like that will just end up sounding like something out of an exercise book. So what you need is alot of flavor, and variation.

As for where to go, remeber that every guitar solo should have high and low points, leading to a climax, which will then decrease and go back into the regularity of your song. However, this is still kinda basic. So what you want to be doing usualy is visualizing solos in your head and then getting them onto guitar. If you really let your mind take over, instead of just trying to play what your fingers know as a solo, it'll sound way better. One thing to keep in mind is that when your moving up a scale, not each note has to be higher than the next. You could play E F G, F G A, G A B instead of EFGAB.

You can also add flavor not only in pitch, but in rythm. Not every not you play needs to be the same speed. Try experimenting with triplets and whatnot.

Never resort to sonic masturbation. What this means is that every note should be there for a reason. If you your just dicking around playing random notes really fast, it doesnt really matter if theyre all in key. It'll probably sound bad.

Listen to Music. Although this sounds kind of obvious, its incredibly helpfull. In order to visualize a song or solo in your head, you need to draw from your influences. Pick a band or guitarist you really like, and check out as much of their lead work as you can. Listen to their solos over and over again, paying attention to details. You can pick out what you like about their style, and incorporate that into your own.

Coolsnow gives some good advice when he says to stay in key. Although some guitarists make killer solos with all kinds of key changes and passing tones, thats just too much to bite off when you've first started. Pentatonics are a VERY good place to start, so if I were you I'd play those alot. He also encourages you to play what your feeling. Dont forget that a solo should really add to a song - it needs to have emotion. Thats something thats really hard to do, so dont worry if you cant, but keep in mind that thats your goal.

Also: Learn new techniques to spice up your playing, such as sweep picking, tapping, pinch harmonics, etc.

I'd recomend learning a few easy solos. I dont know what your skill level is, or musical preference, but If you like Megadeth, the short little solos on Peace Sells are easy.

When your first starting, its ok to play short little licks. Composing a really long solo like Eruption without boring your audience is REALLY hard. The first solos you write can be really short. If you want them to cover a long stretch of time, but dont have the chops or writing skills to continously hammer out notes, just do a kinda thing where you solo one measure, let the rythm play the next, then solo the next, etc.

If you have any questions, feel free to post here or PM me.

Hey rideforvengeance, great post! I enjoyed reading this very much! I will follow some of your advices as well, but I'm all for the feeling and I do a lot of note shooting, regardless of scale...because I don't know no friggin theory...I only know 2 scales/modes (G Minor and E Phrygian) and I don't use them (not consciously, at least)... I read the pentatonics are way used too much, especially in commercial stuff, I think it should be avoided, for the sake of making something different...that's my view, but hey...I don't even know the pentatonic one....I'm not even sure if I do use it unconsciously!.. :)

morningstar,
pentatonic scale is the easiest I think (only five different notes, hence PENTA-tonic):

In A:
-------------------------------5--8---------------
-------------------------5--8---------------------
-------------------5--7---------------------------
-------------5--7---------------------------------
-------5--7---------------------------------------
-5--8---------------------------------------------

Like RideForVengeance allready said, try going up or down the scales in groups of three. You can also do this in groups of four.

Another cool thing to do is skipping one note in the scale and then going back to the previous (the one you skipped), repeat, can't really explain it wel, but here's an example in A minor:

--8-5-7---5------------------------------------------------------
--------8---6-8-5-6---5------------------------------------------

--------------------7---5-7-4-5---4------------------------------
--------------------------------7---5-7---5----------------------
----------------------------------------8---7-8-5-7---5----------
----------------------------------------------------8---7-8-5-7--

First of all, learn your theory! Screwing around looking for the notes that sound right is boring, and you could use that time to practice your phrasing and expression. And after you're confortable with key / scales / modal scales you can start getting into outside playing. Make your playing "vocal", check out how singers choose notes and also their timing, how they usually sing around the beat and not exactly over it. Those little things make you sound a lot more natural. And then you can start fucking with the stuff a vocalist can't even think of doing, like fast runs and jumping octaves like crazy. Vibrato is also extremely important. Slow or fast depending on what the songs asks for... You'll find out a lot of these things by just experimenting, so go and play yer guitar.

No problem, I'm always glad to help in what way I can. When you first start trying to play lead, it can get really frustrating, so stick in there and you'll start seeing the results you want to see in time. Music theory will really help you with composing songs and solos in ways that I dont think I can even explain. The more theory you learn, the more questions you'll have, but at the same time, the more knowledge there is, the more you can start to comprehend how music works. When you get deep into theory, you can really understand the relationships notes have with each other, thus allowing you to understand why certain chords sound like they do, etc. etc.

Music theory can be very confusing, but if you take it a bit at a time its not too bad. The very first thing you should start with would probably be learning about your basic scales. Although they dont all sound very "Heavy Metal", you need to know your major and minor scales in order to understand just about anything else in music theory.

Most scales have seven degrees, or steps. (Pentatonics have 5) The pattern for major and minor scales is pretty simple. In a major scale, each note has a whole step difference between that and the next note, except 3-4 and 7-8, which are half steps. Note: the 8th note of the scale is really the first note, an octave higher. So if you write this out in a C major scale, it looks like this:

C D E F G A B (C)
1 2 3_4 5 6 7_(8)

C major works out perfectly, without any sharps or flats. Other scales will have at least one, however. A half step can be acheived either by making a note sharp or flat, or by the natural half step difference between B-C and E-F. The difference between B and C, and the difference between E and F is always a half step, whereas anything else, like the difference from A to B is a whole step.

(Sharps are written as: #
Flats are written as: b )

Lets look at G major as an example of how to apply half steps.

G A B C D E F#
1 2 3_4 5 6 7_

Since we're playing a G scale, we start on G. This is the root note. After G, we have A as the second degree, and B as the third. Now, remember that in a major scale, the distance betwen 3 and 4 must be a half step. Fortunately for us, B is the third, meaning C is the fourth. Since B-C is always a half step anyways, we dont have do anything. D is the next note after C, then E, and F. The distance between 6-7 is a whole step. However, from 6 to 7 we have E to F, which as you remember, is a half step. This means that in order for the pattern to work, we're going to have to change F to make the distance between E and F a half step. We do this by changing it to F#, one half step higher than F.

If you didnt already know this, one fret is one half step. So a whole step, such as F to G is a distance of 2 frets. A half step is a distance of one fret. So tabbed out, it looks like this:

Whole steps:
E|-1--3--5--7-- etc.

Half steps:
E|-1--2--3--4--5-- etc.

So heres what a G major scale might look like when tabbed out:

E|------------------------------------------------3--5--7--5--3--
B|--------------------------------------3--5--7------------------
G|----------------------------2--4--5----------------------------
D|------------------2--4--6--------------------------------------
A|--------2--3--5------------------------------------------------
E|--3--5---------------------------------------------------------

Note that on the 6th string, the low E, we started on G, even though E is the lowest note you could play in that position in the scale. In general, you would start on G, like we did, and end on G as well, because it's a G scale. I didn't tab out descending back down the scale because I figured you get the idea already.

One thing to realize about the relation to major and minor scales is that a major scale contains the same notes as its relative minor, but since it has a different root note, you start or end differently. To fully understand this, you'll need the formula for Minor scales:

Half steps between 2-3 and 6-7

Emin is relative to Gmaj, meaning that they contain the same notes.

E F# G A B C D E minor
1 2_3 4 5 6_ 7

G A B C D E F# G Major
1 2 3_4 5 6 7_

So E minor and G major have all the same notes, but they start and end at different points. Why is this significant? This will be more important later, when you learn about Tonic, Dominant, and Subdominant areas, or composing for two guitars, but right now what this means is that a solo in G major will emphasise G, while a solo in E minor will emphasise E. One way to do this is by ending on those notes.

By the way, E minor is one of the most common scales for metal / rock, probably the easiest and most common to write. Keep in mind that a pentatonic is based off whatever scale you derive it from. So if you have a chord progression in E minor, you can deffenitely solo off of that in E minor pentatonic. Pentatonics just cut corners a bit, having 5 of the 7 notes you'd normally have.

Tell me if you have any questions, or if you want more to work on. It's important that you develop a really good understanding of these rudimentary things. One good way to boost your understanding is by figuring out scales yourself. Note that not all scales are possible. For example, there is no G# major. Heres a list of scales that do work, however.

Major
C
F
Bb
Eb
Ab
Db
Gb
F#
B
E
A
D
G

One formality to remember when writing this out is that E and B arent ever sharp. Instead of E sharp you would write F flat. Its like the difference between 1+1/2 instead of 2 - 1/2.

One other thing to remember quickly. Bends are a great way to spice up your playing, but keep them in tune! A full bend will sound like the note two frets higher. So if you do a full bend on the 5th fret, it should end up sounding like an unbent note on the 7th fret.

If you bend the note to the wrong pitch, it'll sound pretty out of key.

RideForVengance said:
One formality to remember when writing this out is that E and B arent ever sharp. Instead of E sharp you would write F flat. Its like the difference between 1+1/2 instead of 2 - 1/2.

Shouldn't it be 'Instead of E sharp you would write F'? Guess that is what you meant.

:headbang: HI Living to die! Finding a solo is quite simple. First, you must know the harmonic structure of the backgroud music of your solo. Which means the tonality and the chord progression. So I suggest you learn your major scale and your minor scale before you learn your diminished scale, whole tone scale, modal scale or anything else.After it is a question of level of earing, of theory knowledge and of player quality. But since I don't know anything about those variables, I will take it from the begining. Let's say that for a starter you should hit notes included in the chord each time a new chord is hit in the background music (remember that ostinatos, short repeated riffs, are considered like first degre of a tonality). After you can had anything you want as long as you stay in tonality. And to finish this first chapter, make your play singfull (I don't know if it is the way to say it?) and remember that includes speedy scales and arpegios.

Write back if you want to know the next chapter

Maestro Pero