Soloist SLSMG question

tides

Jun 30, 2009
BE
www.myspace.com
is it me or has Jackson been releasing a lot of soloists lately?

Seeing all the (cheaper) soloist options (like this one) would it be worth buying a secondhand SLSMG from 2010, for roughly the same price? Would there be a big difference in build quality?

Specs (this one, no longer available new): mahogany body, ebony fretboard, EMG81/85, fixed bridge - strings through body, built in Japan.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Can you try it before you buy it? I think most people agree that the later Japanese Jacksons are built great, but aren't usually made from the best quality woods.

That's my experience with my DXMG. Feels and plays great, but sounds pretty dull compared to my Ibanez RG570 (both have thin bolt-on maple necks with rosewood fretboards, locking trems, and equally thick basswood bodies so they are fairly similar guitars) even after a few pup swaps. Then again, mine's a lower-end model, but it's from the same series as the SLSMG.

I have not played any of the newer Jacksons, but I have not had good experiences with Indonesian guitars.

i think the new ones are build by different license factory but really great. A friend of mine is the touring guitarist of Hypocrisy. He bought ine for 699 bucks before last tour! He was totally satisfied, after tour Jackson picked him up for endorsement. He will still play these "cheap" models.
I bought me a ltd ec407 the 400series is much cheaper than the 1000er but same quality. i was suprised to read on the back - made in Indonesia. Awesome guitar!

I own a Slatxmg3-6, the snow white one. I like it, then again i never owned a really expensive guitar. Most expensive was the LTD MH-400FM, wich i really disliked. But do know, the slatxmg is actually a pretty heavy guitar, while the SLSMG is a lightweight so... ye. My new jackson KVXT, wich has a fixed bridge and passive pickups feels like a feather compared to the Slat. When it comes to built quality, based on looks only, they delivered a better job with the Indonesian made Slat then with the Kvxt, wich was "quality made in india".
You are from belgium right? Dunno wich part, but if not to far from Sint-Niklaas, go visit keymusic, they got the white and sunburst one in stock there.

Thanks for the feedback; the soloist deal is of the table however...

Got my eye on an LTD EC-1000 deluxe now, totally different style but seems up to par...