Some Anathema Images

we hear you bambi, we hear you

vaughan oliver was the man, peter saville another, and todays dirk rudolph, pisses all over the mckeans and shallow photoshop smiths

My favourite is Edward Gorey.

gorey-cats-calendar.jpg

ZGorey301.JPG

A Future Unremembered Poet
of the Seventeenth Century
accepts a Christmas Cookie
from the Great Veiled Bear

everyday we celebrate the pleasure to learn some more about ikeaboy! :Spin: :Spin: :Spin:

i looked at some of saville's work. very nice things there, some of them at least.
but you can't compare it to travis smith, it's a totally different style

ikeaboy said:
thats illustration ya stupid woman, rip off of Beardsley too

And who gives a fuck, I'm talking 'bout motherfuckin' Falco and shit!

CD cover, illustration, I'm talking about style I like, if it's a rip off, who cares? I like it. I like it cause it's a rip off and twenties woeful typography, yes.

you're right, maqus, there's no accounting for tastes.
who's gonna tell you you're wrong and he/she is right when it comes to liking something

Bastet said:
i looked at some of saville's work. very nice things there, some of them at least.
but you can't compare it to travis smith, it's a totally different style

ah ffs, lets get one thing cleared here, peter saville is a designer, smith is an illustrator, its not just covers peter savilles work ends with, pfff

look at vaughan oliver, early 80's , no floppshop, just pure self intuition and emotional response to sound, i fucking know right!

besides, smith is just another one of many bastardised dave mckeans, if you want to see whats 'now' in this area, Dirk Rudloph would be a start

Bastet said:
more artists tend to be repetitive

well depends what you call 'artists' . painters? illustrators? well most have a similar visual vocabulary in their work, on the other hand, thing is these days, someone picks up a pirate copy of floppyshop, calls themselves a designer, in the wrong hands with no foundation, chaos, ah it looks good this will do, slap a bit of 'default' typeset on it and it will be grand :erk:

Bastet said:
you're right, maqus, there's no accounting for tastes.
who's gonna tell you you're wrong and he/she is right when it comes to liking something

education and awareness, common sense really ;)