Some fuckwad has been using my money

I woke up today and checked my bank accounts to see if some client payments had cleared out. To my surprise, my other account had 0,01e instead of 30e or so. I didn't think much of it, as I supposed it was just some old purchases that had been charged only now.

A couple of minutes ago I got a call from my bank, telling me my Visa Debit was closed because there had been several attempts at online purchases this weekend, some that went through and some that didn't. I told them I haven't used the card in weeks. So somehow someone has got hold of the card details and spent the little that was left in the account.

Now, the strange thing is, I'm pretty sure I haven't used that particular card and the account attached to it for online purchases except from Thomann and a couple of software houses (legit, large businesses). The same deal happened for my friend a few days ago, but unfortunately in his case it was a four figure sum.

The bank is figuring out if I can get my pennies back, but quite honestly, I don't give a fuck about the 30 euros. What I do give a fuck about is the fact that I use that account for all my business transactions, and apparently it's fucking easily compromised :eek:

Fuck the internet age.

Hey man, sorry to hear. It's not necessarily the internets fault though. I had my card blocked once as mysterious little amounts kept disappearing (like £20).
Turned out it was an ATM somewhere that's been fiddled with.

I had to change my card recently too, got a letter from the bank that the information might've been compromised and that a new card is already on the way. I suspect it was an ATM in my case too, but you never know. Luckily, I didn't lose any money.

The downside is that Spotify hasn't been accepting any of my payments since. I've no idea why, since the €0,01 payments go through as they should.

I never use the same card for the ATM and Internet transactions. I have one for each and transfer money from one to another through my bank's online control panel. And I almost never have money on my Internet card - just transfer to it when I need to buy something and transfer from it as soon as I get the money. It's the safest possible route, but it would be a pain to the if I used some service with micro payments like mentioned spotify. Still having separate cards is a good idea.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and not only I don't use the Internet card in ATM, I don't use it anywhere else but the Internet and vice versa for the second - use it for everything except Internet payments.

that does suck but at least you didn't get hit as hard as your buddy and the bank got wise to it quick

could have been MUCH worse

Yeah, it's not the damages at all, but the thought that someone can actually wipe my business account clean just like that. Imagine if some of the payments I initially wanted to check would have arrived. Yeah, I'd get them back in a month or two, but until that, no way to pay the rent, the bills or buy food :zombie:

oh absolutely ... that and the fact that not only did someone do that to you but also took that (luckily) small amount of money. Thats actually insulting on top of everything

Dude... It's like when my PayPal account got hacked.. Some asshole tried to buy World Of Warcraft accounts. I didn't lose money because PayPal cancelled it, but man.. The feeling! Like when some mentions how they felt being robbed... Those pricks were IN my account! SO SHIT!

That sucks big time dude.

I absolutely hate using my credit card details for anything, as it's so easy to have your account pinched.

Over here in Melbourne the big problem is ATM skimming. One of my old bank cards got swallowed up by a machine because they suspected it had been skimmed. All good and well as a preventative measure by the bank, but it didn't change the fact that I was stuck in town with absolutely no money for an evening.

Dude... It's like when my PayPal account got hacked.. Some asshole tried to buy World Of Warcraft accounts. I didn't lose money because PayPal cancelled it, but man.. The feeling! Like when some mentions how they felt being robbed... Those pricks were IN my account! SO SHIT!

This exactly!

That sucks big time dude.

I absolutely hate using my credit card details for anything, as it's so easy to have your account pinched.

Over here in Melbourne the big problem is ATM skimming. One of my old bank cards got swallowed up by a machine because they suspected it had been skimmed. All good and well as a preventative measure by the bank, but it didn't change the fact that I was stuck in town with absolutely no money for an evening.

We're a bit behind with the skimming scene here, but it's getting more popular. However, I checked my logs and I've used this card on two ATM's, and unless they have been really clever schemes, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.

I think I'm going back to gold coins. And squirrel pelts.

Basically, the same thing happened to me last month. No clue where it was compromised, but they tried using it at a gas pump in Texas and then Bed Bath and Beyond in Las Vegas. It's bad enough that a dirty damn thief sole my money, it was a really boring thief.

This happened to me a few days ago, online expenses I never did, over 600 €... Called Mastercard to kill the card, went to the Police Office, sent a letter to my bank to get reimbursed, which can take up to a month... It sucks hard!!!

I owe the bank $200 or so due to overdraft charges when my card was stolen. They won't do anything about it, but they did manage to charge me $30 more when they closed my account. Now due to that, and owing $1500 to the government for a defaulted student loan, I can't open a bank account anywhere.