Some pretty cool news. (client's releasing int. help me get the best result)

G1

Dec 8, 2008
The last band that have recorded with myself have just told me that they'll be releasing the EP across the UK and Europe in various music stores.

This of course is a massive difference from when they told me it'll be a free download.

So im fucking stoked and have booked for them to come apply to finishing touches to the EP before the mixing begins.

As much as im fucking excited as anything im also kacking my pants as i dont want this to be a flop as the EP will also be reviewed in some of the UK's top metal magazines.

Basically I feel i may need some fair amount of pointers to help make these mixes feel as alive and well produced as possible.

So if any of you are up for helping me out and giving me some usefull pointers i'd be so fucking grateful and also i'd be happy to share with the forum everything I have learnt from recording these lads.
:headbang:

try to take your time and do everything right instead of thinking you'll be able to fix it in the mix...

If you already have everything recorded (if I read that correctly), then just throwup a few reference mixes and hope like hell it works...

Not many pointers to give without hearing what you have so far...

Alrighty then

So here's a clip of the mix so far.
There are a few parts of the guitars which i haven't had re-amped yet but there's enough there to give you a jist of the music style.
Im still half way working through the 4 vocal tracks and getting them lined up and flowing correctly, so if its a bit juddery still i appologise :)
Also the intro to the track is a working idea, its not perfect but i hope you can see what im trying to do.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/712692/Latest_BTS_Avarice.mp3

i'm really not liking the massive high mid/low high attack of the snare and toms. The kick sounds very fake but at the same time quite good and it works well in the mix when everything else is going. Vocals are good, guitar and bass work well together, although there might be a bit too much bass freq. lying around getting in the way of the low end of the kick

Definitly needs keyboards in that intro!
Some strings and some chimy-sound playing some arpeggio(Pushed far back in the mix with tons of reverb.).

And i personally found that snare a bit boring.. maybe some reverb or something to spice it up a bit.
Also, while the kick sounds pretty good, it seems to lack som bass, its not pushing my speakers at all.. so more 80-120hz(Depending on where the thump is hidden.).

Other then that, i thought it sounded pretty damn good!

Sounds really good...

Vocals could use some work, but you're planning that already...

Guitars could use better tone, but you've got that sorted...

Add some low end to the kick as Notuern suggested...

try adding some lows to the toms as well... just enough to give it some beef but not enough to make it unclear/muddy...

The snare could use some lowend thump as well, but not necessary...

In all honesty, it sounds like you've got it mostly sorted... all the minor stuff that is being mentioned, other than the reamping, is going to rely solely on personal taste... do your best to make it something that reflects what YOU think it should sound like... can't go wrong with that.

Awesome advice lads! expect a new clip in the next 24 hours with your tips applied.

Any more ideas on how to further the mix i.e things i could add or interesting effects would be interesting to hear too !

Thank you !

-G

Awesome advice lads! expect a new clip in the next 24 hours with your tips applied.

Any more ideas on how to further the mix i.e things i could add or interesting effects would be interesting to hear too !

Thank you !

-G

I often find my self using strings or choir sounds just to fill out the mix somewhat, but the trick is to make it so you dont really hear them.
Dont use high notes, dont use notes lower then the actual bass, then process it according to the instrument you are trying to blend it with.
If done correctly, you wont really hear it, but when you remove it, everything starts to sound really empty.

One interesting thing can be to add some distorted saw-wave bass playing the same thing as the real bass, then you cut out some of the 240hz area on the real bass, and let the saw fill up just that particular area.. often just makes the bass sound punchier or somewhat more brutal(Doesnt work all the time though.).

I often find my self using strings or choir sounds just to fill out the mix somewhat, but the trick is to make it so you dont really hear them.
Dont use high notes, dont use notes lower then the actual bass, then process it according to the instrument you are trying to blend it with.
If done correctly, you wont really hear it, but when you remove it, everything starts to sound really empty.

One interesting thing can be to add some distorted saw-wave bass playing the same thing as the real bass, then you cut out some of the 240hz area on the real bass, and let the saw fill up just that particular area.. often just makes the bass sound punchier or somewhat more brutal(Doesnt work all the time though.).

Hmm im defiantly going to spend some time looking at different ways of implementing strings into the songs, ive spoken to the band and they dont mind me having some "artistic flair" with the songs as long as it doesnt distract too much from the original song etc. Which sounds like i have freedom to add bits n bobs where i think it would work. Fun Times ;)

Any more ideas guys ?

-G

The file seems to be corrupt, it says its 175bytes when the download is complete and it wont play.

The toms sound like ticks... way too much high end on those toms... and too much low end on the kick now...

The kit in general doesn't sound like its all one kit in the same room... very weird stuff going on with it...

the guitar could use some more presence... they sound like POD guitars... I dont mean that in a good way...

the whole mix could use some high end presence...

do yourself a favor... import a reference track and compare...

Damn, those toms sounded weird now! o,0
I pretty much agree with audiophile, too much lows on the kick now.. and the guitars dont sound that full and the mix needs more brilliance.
When i pulled up the treble and lowered the base somewhat it sounded allot better, with the exception for those toms that just feels weird.

Hmm, and another thing i just noticed, when he sings/screams/growls "controlling me" near the end, the "controlling" part feels weird, like its too loud or something(Or it needs different compressor/eq-settings.), and the "me" part sounds like the overdubs should be more stereo so that it sounds _HUGE_(In my opinion that is, its more a matter of taste.).

hmmm cool cool i'll take a better look at the mix after uni today.
I dont get why the Toms are being awkward.

Bare with me on this one lads I really do appreciate the help immensely!