Some questions about...Djent

whoa whoa whoa, Waves GTR???? HOW!?

THIS ^^^^ is EXACTLY what I said. But i tried it, use the shredder amp and bypass the cab and use an impulse. Throw a TS in front also and it sounded pretty good. I liked it but not THAT much. diego, the guitar player, told me about that one and G rig 3.

I know Periphery used the Waves S1 Imager to spread their guitar parts wider and give the center stuff more space. (vox, kick, snare, bass) Their main rhythm guitars are panned 80% L and R. So not your typical 100%. They use the Imager to pan things over 100%. I know it sounds crazy but give it a try and see what happens. :) Almost like 3D mixing and you can set your guitars to be left behind you, not left beside you. :) Wow I'm rhyming now.

AND NO 200HZ HIGH PASS ON THE GUITARS! Just balance them well. If you look at djent band's guitars through meters they have frequencies down to 80hz and maybe even below that. I think you need something down there if you are tuning guitars that low. Otherwise the guitars will just sound like static. :)

I suppose, I always use s1 even if im 100 % panned. But anyway, I'd imagine that's where the bass comes in, now hp filtering at 200 is a definite no, maybe around 80hz would be a smooth move. You still have to clean up the mud of such a low tuning if it is that low. Get that bass rockin and then you'll have a sick guitar sound. Definite team work I'd say

If the Highpass is not at 200hz, how does it come that the guitars in many djent records sound like they've like no low end? :eek:

Jan [MTW];10036486 said:
If the Highpass is not at 200hz, how does it come that the guitars in many djent records sound like they've like no low end? :eek:

Well ofcourse it depends on the band and record but highpass at 200hz is overdoing it IMO. Ofcourse you might do that and get amazing results but I think it's too much.

Here's a screenshot of the Periphery guitar spectrum f.ex:
peripheryguitarspectrum.jpg

And it seems like there's no high passing at all. Must be the reason we hear no bass. And it's a part of the genre. ;)

There's fundamentals at 150Hz(ish) on that graph - but I don't see any harmonics lower than that. Maybe around 70Hz ..

I must admit I've heard a couple of djent records that have guitars with very little low end and I really don't care for it at all, just ends up sounding scratchy.

I got a djent sound a while back, too far back to really say that it is repeatable today, but it worked then. What I did was EQ the DI's before reamping them. From what I remember (a year or more ago mind you) dip at 400, hump at 1k, maybe a bit of a hump higher like at 4-5k or so as well. SD-1 boosting the amp, Recto cab v30's and 57 recording. Got a pretty damn djenty sound for that project. Haven't really tried lately though... though I suppose it couldn't be too hard to repeat. Just thought I'd add that. If I get the chance to in the upcoming days I may try to cop that sound again.

I got a djent sound a while back, too far back to really say that it is repeatable today, but it worked then. What I did was EQ the DI's before reamping them. From what I remember (a year or more ago mind you) dip at 400, hump at 1k, maybe a bit of a hump higher like at 4-5k or so as well. SD-1 boosting the amp, Recto cab v30's and 57 recording. Got a pretty damn djenty sound for that project. Haven't really tried lately though... though I suppose it couldn't be too hard to repeat. Just thought I'd add that. If I get the chance to in the upcoming days I may try to cop that sound again.

YES! thats exactly what I was going to say after reading all of this. EQ the DI's and really bring out that twangy metallic sound of the strings before the distortion "messes" it all up.

Well ofcourse it depends on the band and record but highpass at 200hz is overdoing it IMO. Ofcourse you might do that and get amazing results but I think it's too much.

Here's a screenshot of the Periphery guitar spectrum f.ex:
peripheryguitarspectrum.jpg

And it seems like there's no high passing at all. Must be the reason we hear no bass. And it's a part of the genre. ;)

This obviously is not true. I assume you captured this from one of the guitar intros or so? In that case there's just different kind of EQ'ing done for the plain guitar part to give it a bit more body to roam alone.