sparate instruments in mix

gandre82

New Metal Member
Mar 25, 2009
Hell-o people, (i mean separate in the topic)

i´m new here, cause i found andys drumrecording-tips on google, very very useful an nice explained thx Again!

Now my little litte question:

There a many nu-metal and metal mixes on the market that sound to very separated and transparent an nice example is "Soil - redefine"

The drumset kicks straight out of the middle huge powerful then is nothing and on the left and right side burn this fat guitars - it seem so wide and perfekt seperated any tips how to do this style of effect?

ive already used the panning knob in serval ways, put an stereoexciter on the guitar group<--this fucks the sound badly - but the this effect wouldnt come! any little tips for me? thx to you.

greetz andre

I listened to Redefine and the version on Spotify (from Redefine EP) sounds like a really sparse radioedit (vocals really loud compared to rest of the mix). Overall it is pretty thin sounding mix as everything is really filtered and scooped especially from the mids, so there is minimal overlapping frequencies overall so everything sounds pretty separate.

For example I don't think there is anything below 125hz other than bass and kick and I couldn't even hear the bass before I listened with headphones or turned my subwoofer on (I started to hear the attack when I turned the volume quite a lot louder). And for example you can pretty much only hear the low and high end from the drums (hearing the attack from the kick is pretty hard on the prechorus and chorus because of it).

When you mix like this (a lot of scooped mids) it leaves helluva lot room for guitars and vocals, when the general consensus here seem be to highpass everything to leave room for bass and kick and then cram the mids full of everything.

edit: And don't use a stereo enhancer. Record different takes and pan them hard left (L100) hard right (R100) with dual tracking or L100 L80 R100 R80 with quadtracking

thanks for those fast answer an the nice tips on scooping the drumkit! i love this highly separated mixes... its all so clarity and differenced.

do you think i should set up thedrumsubgroup (kick and snare) to mono? or stereo.

The snareshits and kicks seem to come from everywhere but not out of the sweetspot of my monitor set.

Yes an steroenhancer on the guitars is not the way to do widing... it sounds not good, ive tested it with terrible results.

greets andre