Editing drums in my mix!?

kerekes94

New Metal Member
Jun 7, 2010
I'm using cubase LE 4, drumagog, and I have the steven slate EX samples. I'm a big fan of Joey Sturgis and I really want to have nice, punchy, an full drum sounds. Any tips on what I should do?

Your question is to general.

My suggestion is to start reading. Your question is the equivalent of "my mixing sucks, what should I do to make them better?"

Punchy and full are somewhat subjective. snare 14a, kick 10, and the maple toms are where you should start. Beyond that, good luck and read some posts in this forum, there have been plenty.

Also man post some mixes, guys on here are always happy to help and tell you were to improve,

also studying a music technology/ recording course would help man, im about to go in to a degree in September and carnt wait.

read and learn, practice and learn, purchase useful software/plugins. and learn to use them.

learn about compression and EQ, and clipping, and develop your ear for producing.

i'm in the same boat as you, as im a noob too haha

Why do new people always gravitate to Joeys work? Do they think his style is legitimacy easier to copy or are they just liking the production (I hope the latter).

Anyways I would say get to your local studio and offer your self as an unpaid intern. You will learn much more this way, more about the business than you could from any book or forum.

when i was a n00b, before i started looking into audio production, and tdwp's latest 'roots' album came out, i was like WOAH thats good! joey's production is something teenagers naturally love because it's super clean and perfect, much like all the pop that is on the radio.

Sturgis bands are the current trend. I get at least a band a month that think attack attack is the best thing since sliced bread.

I honestly dislike over half the bands he records, especially attack attack. I'm more into casey jones, carry on, music along those lines,, I just really like his sound, and especially the punchyness of his mixes

also studying a music technology/ recording course would help man, im about to go in to a degree in September and carnt wait.

A recording degree will help you, but the degree isn't worth the paper that it's written on if you don't work your ass of during the entire course and acquire lots of skill. I'm taking one now, and thankfully I've been busting my balls lately so I've been improving a lot. AE is all about practice and trial and error, just like playing an instrument. A degree gives you a great chance of getting advice from pros, you get bands to record and you get lots of time in better studios than you can usually afford when you're starting out. The studio time that you get the opportunity to use is the most valuable thing you'll get, much more valuable than the degree, so bust your balls off! :headbang:

OP, just practice, practice and practice more. Theres a thread on this forum with loads of raw multitrack files for mixing, do one at a time and do your best every time.

Raw songs for mixing practice

There's no quick and easy way to sound like Joey Sturgis. Audio engineering seems deceptively simple, but a good mix is a combination of thousands of small things. You won't hear most of it when you start, but as you go you'll notice more and more details and learn more and more tricks. A really good producer isn't about the drum samples or plugins that he uses, it's the ears. And the only way to develop good critical listening for mixing is to mix, mix again, mix again, mix again and mix again. Ermz has a great thread about this here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/525936-ermz-production-tips-compendium-newer-guys.html

There's a rule of thumb that my teacher usually mentions(not very specific), it takes an average of 10.000 hours for a human being to become really good at something. That's a bit more than 4 years if you work constructively for 8 hours a day, 300 days a year. I'm faaaar off that, but I'm starting to realize what's required. :lol:

a big focus should be:

"where is this going to end up?" ...ie itunes / cd / myspace???

...the question is indeed very general but it can be truthfully answered with no bull.

however the answers are more of a permutation rather than a straight up simple answer.

- type of mix = sparse or dense ?

- compression = understanding dynamics processing?

- equalization = subtractive or additive?

- dsp = it is necessary?

there are of course a lot more questions you could ask yourself.

read on sir!

I definitely agree. Snare 11a with Room snare behind it. Use maple toms. Kick 10. Send your snare and toms to a reverb bus. Maxxbass on the kick. Mess with EQ. And just mess around till it sounds right to you

What is a Joey sturgis?

;)