Someone help me. AVI -> either WMV or MPEG

Iconoclastic Tendencies said:
Hang on, you just want to burn the .avi's in to DVD format? are you wanting to make a title screen or just put the .avi onto a DVD format? or just put the files on a DVD?

need the answer to this. :p

I would mostly like to simply convert AVI files to either WMV or MPEG, because I already have the software necessary to edit, author, etc., DVDs.

Does that help or answer your question?

k. cause i'm sure theres software to do .avi to dvd. but if you already have software you're familiar with, that'll be easier.
looking it up now. gimme a few mins,

I've heard of something called WINAVI or something? I'm an idiot with this stuff.

PM me if/when you find anything; I'll be at the Vancouver/NY Rangers hockey game tonight until about 10:30 PM EST or so.

no worries, i'll do my best to remember when i get home. Shouldn't take more than a few mins to find something good, d/l it with bittorrent (they're small programs) and yousendshit. I've got songs that are bigger than most of these programs.

This is related so I'll ask it here.

How can I split up an AVI file into smaller pieces? I want to split it apart in 2 or 3 pieces so I can burn them onto CD-Rs.

Can I do it with Windows Movie Maker or do I need another program? If I do need another, anybody know a free one or one with a free trial?

Just buy a dvdplayer that plays divx, xvid etc., duhh. Only losers go through the trouble to reencode.

Tranquillian said:
Just buy a dvdplayer that plays divx, xvid etc., duhh. Only losers go through the trouble to reencode.

Yeah, that's a reasonable option. Pay $100+ for a brand new DVD player (when I just bought a DTS WEGA w/ progressive scan less than 9 mos. ago) or find the right software and make this not a problem. ;)

fotmbm said:
Hey gugsy pugsy, are you planning to download that AVI-MPEG thingy without paying for it?

If it costs money, I'll buy it. If it's freeware, then yes, I'll download it.

You guys can try to catch me being a hypocrite all you want, but trust me when I tell you it won't happen.

Markgugs use this.

Fast and it's an all in one application. Trial Version appears to be fully functional. The only drawback from what I gather is that the sound can become choppy once converted. But for the task you need it for, sound isn't much of a concern.

http://www.winavi.com/

Update: downloaded the trial version of WINAVI (the conversion program), it fucking RULES. So goddamned easy to use, I'm amazed. Only thing is, the trial version leaves a "stamp" in the middle of the converted video with the message that you need to buy the full version to get rid of it. For $30, it's well worth it, so I just bought it. So easy!