Something that needed to be said (My Dying Bride)

Originally posted by godisanathiest

I like MDB, but I'd hardly say there is a major progression between any of the albums, the only vaguely different one is 34.788%... the rest while good are all pretty much the same...

Are you serious? Try playing 'As the Flower Withers' next to 'The Angel and the Dark River'. There's only a three year gap between these albums, yet the differences are startling.

Throughout the years it was always interesting witnessing the fans reactions via the MDB mailinglist.

To say 'the only vaguely different one is 34.788%' tells me you're either not thinking straight or tone deaf.

Personally I love '34.788%... Complete'. When it came out in 98 it was pretty hard to take, I admit, but tracks like 'The Whore, the Cook and the Mother' and 'Base Level Erotica' are a couple of the best songs the band has ever made.

'Heroin Chic' in particular proved to be a bitter pill to swallow for some of the traditionalists within our ranks.

Originally posted by requiem
To say 'the only vaguely different one is 34.788%' tells me you're either not thinking straight or tone deaf.

Yes, there are subtle differences (from the albums I've heard) but no major ones.... which you seemed to be implying...if you were, I think you're completely wrong; they certainly aren't the most original or grounbreaking band in the world and the progression is small and within a single genre...

and besides, being tone deaf would have nothing to do with it, they're not so unoriginal all their songs have the same tune as well :rolleyes:

Yes, there are subtle differences (from the albums I've heard) but no major ones.... they certainly aren't the most original or grounbreaking band in the world and the progression is small and within a single genre...

Therein lies the key, I suppose. Which albums have you been fortunate enough to have heard?

And as for groundbreaking and original, of course by today's standards they don't seem to be, but rewind to 1992 and they, along with Paradise Lost and Anathema, initiated the doom/death metal genre that we all enjoy (or not) today.

Sure, you might point out Black Sabbath et al as the forebears of doom metal, but 'the big three' cannot be ignored as far as the nineties movement is concerned, as well as the certain style that is unique to this genre.

Originally posted by requiem
Therein lies the key, I suppose. Which albums have you been fortunate enough to have heard?

The Last three and turn loose the swans :)

And as for groundbreaking and original, of course by today's standards they don't seem to be, but rewind to 1992 and they, along with Paradise Lost and Anathema, initiated the doom/death metal genre that we all enjoy (or not) today.

Yeah is troo! But I find often the groundbreaking bands move on be groundbreaking in another genre etc... Thats got nothing to do with anything tho..

Yeah is troo! But I find often the groundbreaking bands move on be groundbreaking in another genre etc... Thats got nothing to do with anything tho..

You're right in that they haven't moved on from the genre they co-wrote. However, we have to remember '34.788%... Complete'. The backlash at the time was immeasurable. So it was a deliberate ploy when they returned to the growling etc style found on 'Light at the End of the World' and now 'The Dreadful Hours'.

Who knows where they might have ended up if the fans didn't raise a hue and cry?

Oh yeah, 'As the Flower Whithers' and the early E.P's are very diffenent to the rest of the material. All growled vocals, occasional blast beats, heaps of real violin, as well as a shoddy production. Great stuff, but still very different to, say, Like Gods or 34%.

I had to drag this thread up again, because today I got "Voice of the wretched" (live album for those wondering), and

OH MY FUCKING GOD

This is soooo great!!! I regarded Aaron's vocals on the first album and ep's as the best death vocals I have heard, and now with this album, he is completely back in full form. My god he is crushing. Dosen't have that annoying background rasp some do or anything like that, he just sounds like he's some fucking monster!! Actually, his performance makes the album for me. Nice to hear the 'Turn loose the swans' stuff, now that he really can sing (as much as I love the original, the vocals are a little dodgy ;)). And the rendition of Symphonaire..... is great.

Damn, I'm pumped about this.......

Cool. I'll have to summon up the courage to buy it I suppose, although like the stick-in-the-mud I am, I'm still lamenting the loss of the violin 6 (count 'em, 6) years on!!

*sigh*....