My Dying Bride

Sep 1, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
how many people in here like my dying bride?? im listening to the dreadful hours now and its great. i love music like this that just transforms you. the atmosphere is great. it kind of reminds me of an opeth album. :) What do you guys think of them?

i recognize that they are good musicians,
but it is difficult for me to listen to an
entire album from beginning to end. i can
pick out certain excellent songs from various
records easily....

dreadful hours was craftfully created.

MDB is all good. Well, not all good, but pretty good. 38% was, IMHO, a piece of crap. I got yelled at for saying that in the Anathema forum, so I'll give it another try once I find it in my stash, but I'm not too optimistic.

Now, TLTS, Angel, TDH, and AtFW are glorious albums. And the remainder are pretty good as well.

Actually, MDB are what got me into doom and metal with non-traditional instruments, especially string instruments. Man.

Originally posted by The Nomad
38% was, IMHO, a piece of crap.

Screw you, Punk!!!

:p ;) :)

I love 'em. Love all the albums & EPs they've done. Don't like all their songs, but most of them.
Just got the new one, and oh-my-god it is fucking amazing!! Listened to it solidly for a week, and would still be listening to it if now I hadn't just got the also-fucking-amazing new Bolt Thrower.
Damn, two great albums at the same time.......

Why thank, you.

Nah, I understand some of the passions about albums. You'd probably take my head off if I went into my opinions of the new Katatonia and Anathema.

When I think MDB (and Katatonia and Anathema), I think solid-doom (death). The lighter stuff (such as 38% (mind you, I haven't listened to it for over 9 months)) is just too whiny. And whiny is not doom.

that is all.

I was kidding BTW, just you said other people had yelled at you, couldn't resist :)

34% took a year for me to get into, there was only ever 2 songs I liked (the first & last), but now I like them all except for 'that' song (and we all know the one I mean ;) )

Originally posted by The Nomad
MDB is all good. Well, not all good, but pretty good. 38% was, IMHO, a piece of crap. I got yelled at for saying that in the Anathema forum, so I'll give it another try once I find it in my stash, but I'm not too optimistic.

Now, TLTS, Angel, TDH, and AtFW are glorious albums. And the remainder are pretty good as well.

Actually, MDB are what got me into doom and metal with non-traditional instruments, especially string instruments. Man.

Yeah 34.788 was crap. And Dreadful was rather bland too.

MDB has two monumental albums: As the Flower Withers and Turn Loose the Swans. Trinity, Angel, and Gods are pretty good too.

The Dreadful Hours is similar in style to The Light at the End of the World, but it's heavier, with more growling. It has it's share of singing, which I think is better done that most of the previous albums.

And I don't know if it's only on the digipack, but they redid The Return of the Beautiful, and it's LONGER than before. Not as good, but it get's the dialogue across better.

Best tracks:
The Raven and the Rose
Black Heart Romance
My Hope, the Destroyer (the best overall)
The Return of the Beautiful

Basically all the even numbered tracks.

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
What is the new MBD album like.. exactly??

Make comparisons to their other albums, and to opeth and other bands.

So I know whether to get a few mp3's to get an idea of whatn the aklbum is like..

I reviewed this a while back. Here are some quotes:
Cold, dark, and desolate...
Typically long songs such as “Black Heart Romance,” “A Cruel Taste of Winter,” and the title track create a moving soundscape of depression and catharsis. Plaintive clean vocals blend beautifully with characteristically slow melodies, providing a tragic counter-point to the intensity of death growls and high-speed doses of metal...
The Dreadful Hours faithfully demonstrates My Dying Bride’s exquisitely bleak outlook.

It's more agonizing than Opeth in my opinion.

There's a lot of their earlier aggression (they redo an old song too), but it has the melodic qualities of Angel and the Dark River.

I like My dying bride a lot ;) They are my favorite right after Opeth. I only have "Turn loose the swans", "Like gods of the sun", "The light at the end of the world" and "The dreadful hours" :cry: I think Turn loose the swans is the best of those, though the newest is incredible too ;)
Oh yes, For my fallen angel brings a tear to my eyes too, I also like Sear Me (I don't remembet the letters..) a lot.
Do you have any suggestions which MDB album should I get next, if I get the urge to buy more?

I definitely have enjoyed the last release of MY DYING BRIDE. My fave is still "Turn Loose The Swans" but they have returned to form with the last two releases. I couldn´t get into the more experimental "37,88 Percent Complete" album.

funny that as ive been listening to MDB all this morning on my walkman. yeah they're really good.

ANYWAY: MDB - Support = Lacuna Coil - 27th APRIL LONDON MEAN FIDLER (LA2) ive already got my ticket, its a long time away though.

Well, I was going to reply as usual to this thread, but all of a sudden this yourdeadgroom-guy (idiotic name if you ask me) comes along and takes the very words out of my mouth... :err:

I love 'em. Love all the albums & EPs they've done. Don't like all their songs, but most of them. Just got the new one, and oh-my-god it is fucking amazing!! Listened to it solidly for a week, and would still be listening to it if now I hadn't just got the also-fucking-amazing new Bolt Thrower.
Damn, two great albums at the same time.......

Damn, it's like my lost twin brother is talking here. :lol:
Perhaps we were intentionally separated at birth so that Darth Vader won't discover both of us :loco:

By the way, I just saw Bolt Thrower live. "Onwards!!!" Yeeesss! :)

Originally posted by Hearse
Crown of Symphaty!

How amazing song is that! :D

Hell yea, for sure one of my favorites. I like all My Dying Bride, I am even a big fan of 34.788% complete but I would have to say Turn Loose the Swans all the way but I love Angel and the Dark River as well.
Shit, I love it all.