My Dying Bride.

from the Cradle

...and Justice for All
Oct 7, 2001
Milano
The Dreadful Hours...
...is the title of the forthcoming album by My Dying Bride. According to Peaceville, the scheduled release date is October 22.

The band have recorded a new version of the classic song "The Return of the Beautiful". Re-titled "The Return To the Beautiful" it will be featured on all the CDs and will not be classed as an `extra track'. :mad: :loco:

My Dying Bride are one of the few truly poetic bands in metal. The lyrics (esp. on 'Turn Loose the Swans' - I don't like the music on that album though) are probably as good as it can get. Albums like 'The Angel and the Dark River', 'The Light at the End of the World' and especially '34.788% Complete' are very visual and inspiring, the guys are great storytellers.

I've heard 'The Raven and the Rose' off the new album - good, I hope the rest is as good as this song ! (and maybe Blackwater Park inspired too, he he, Andrew Craighan is a big Opeth fan apparently)

D Mullholand
----------------------
NP: Katatonia - Discouraged Ones

I have only heard the samples from the official website. Sounds ominous! :) As always the cover art looks unreal, typical really for MDB.

What does everyone here think of the direction they have taken with TLatEotW, and from what I have heard so far, TDH?

And apart from D Mullholand (please add more thoughts though!), what does everyone think of 34.788%...Complete? The controversy always fascinates me.

I really think it was a logical step after the threshold was ripped and thrown into a completely new and different perspective with 34.788%... I really like this album, perfectly executed, and downright scary in it's imagery... But I am glad they decided to explore it no further for now, it would have been hard without Calvin anyway since he supposedly masterminded a lot of the music.
TLatEotW is a great return to the epic and powerful days of TAatDR and TLtS et al...But LGotS is amazing as well.......Damn! I love them all! :loco:

Hearse, have you got a copy of TDH already?
(Aussies have to wait a while for anything it seems):mad:

Originally posted by brightoffski
have you got a copy of TDH already?
(Aussies have to wait a while for anything it seems):mad:

I'll confess that I downloaded the album from Audiogalaxy. It's a great service for me, the poor bastard who can't even afford new heads for my drums. :/

I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet, must do that today since you're giving it good criticism :)

I, like brightoffski now, have heard 'The Raven and The Rose' and 'A Cruel Taste of Winter' and I find them absolutely incredible. If the rest of the new album is up to the standard of these tracks then I'm assured another classic.

I'd almost lost faith in them but I think I was a bit premature in writing them off... At any rate they are one of the greatest bands in any genre and have proved that over the years with some amazing releases.

I've been listening to The Dreadful Hours today a lot, and each time it sounds better and better.

The "better" growls* featured on few tracks of The Light At The End Of The World are back somewhat more prominent. The guitarmanship (heh) is still of that very recognizable My Dying Bride style; simple but heavy and dark.

Keyboards and those ah, so beautifully heartaching strings are there as well. A very cool choir sample is used in at least the seventh track, The Deepest Of All Hearts.

Comparing this to other albums, I would describe this as a mixture of The Light At The End Of The World and Like Gods Of The Sun, but better. :heh:

The overall feeling I get from this is a very good one: dark and filled with beauty but maybe a bit more sprightly than the earlier albums. Scoring 19/20 (on my God-knows-how-it-works scale :D )

* More deathmetal-esque, compared to the early albums' "rumblings"

Originally posted by Orchid

Yeah, do yourself that favor! :) It's one hell of an album.

I listened to it once, while doing other things... sounded really good so far... should listen again now...

Originally posted by brightoffski
And apart from D Mullholand (please add more thoughts though!), what does everyone think of 34.788%...Complete? The controversy always fascinates me.

'34.788%...Complete' is like a more hope-ridden version of Blade Runner set to metal music. The futuristic sounds and the nihilistic lyrics mix perfectly with MDB's devastated and melancholic riffing, I can immerse myself in this world and go astray...

In every song we are presented pictures and scenes from this meta-urban banal nightmare. 'Children play with broken glass, kill themselves for a laugh'... This world has its imprints on every story, even on the most noble ones, like 'Der Uberlebende' - I see a picture of a lone immortal human who leads an abandoned life, a man who forgot even who he is, existing in emotional devastation and living from day to day on fragments of old memories ('I have seen them, I have watched them all fall') - nothing can surprise him anymore. He'll exist forever.
Even the narrators in the songs, as played by Aaron, are unsympathetic to the listener - like in the end of 'The Stance of Evander Sinque'. After we see the tragic end of this man, as a conclusion of a one-versus-crowd conflict extended to the verge of hyper-realism, the narrator says : 'Who was he, this crazy man ? Just a loser, to the end !..'
'Heroin Chic' is MDB's doomiest song. Not a slight beam of hope. This is pure doom. Like a W. Burroughs 'Naked Lunch' presented as a music/sound/stream of consciousness-collage, all elements fit - the noise, the background female vocals... 'Hope it rains. Hope it rains a lot'... the character has lost all personality and forgot his human essence, now he is 'shit and scum' like everybody else around him - 'Life for life is just the way it's at... I don't remember the last time I laughed...' No beginning and no ending, this is his life every single day.
With 'Basic Level Erotica' we are shown a way to escape this grim reality, but the way is only an illusion, a temporary remedy... The ending riff is repeated to no end, like we want to force our stay in this illusion, to extend the release, knowing it is impossible...
'Under My Wings And Into Youe Arms' is an enigmatic song. We sense an approach to a turning point, an intention, a wish to escape, but there is no definite ending, and we're left only to guess if this was a moment of hope, and if there is an exit...

All songs are great, it's a grossly underrated masterpiece. It's imperfect, but impressive. A shame most 'metal heads' let themselves be turned off by the electronic sounds and are lured by their own limitations into thinking that this must've been a 'sell-out'. Very unfortunate, that even the band became too scared of what they've done. But they've redeemed their temporary fears with the excellent 'TLATEOTW' and now, hopefully, 'The Dreadful Hours'.

(Sorry if this message seemed like an LSD-trip, I'm in a state of trance after I returned from this classical concert today... Some munificent music there was...)

D Mullholand

Hey, D Mullholand
Thanks for the in-depth response.
I didn't get the feeling that it was LSD assisted at any time while reading... :)

Originally posted by D Mullholand

'34.788%...Complete' is like a more hope-ridden version of Blade Runner set to metal music.

Yeah, the "Voigt-Kampff" like test that is administed to Aaron in the middle of "The Whore, the Cook and the Mother" reminded me immediately of Blade Runner when I first heard it. Very cool.

I do agree with you in the overall feelings of hopelessness and of the doomy and desperate state that is present throughout (very different feelings to that of most, less modern MDB doomy atmospheres). I definitely get similar feelings when listening to 34.788% as I do when viewing Blade Runner.

Yeah, it is unfortunate that it probably hasn't got the status it deserves and it does seem to be very much misunderstood.

I really like '...complete' (I forget the number part :err: ). I don't like Heroin Chic at all (and it's not the electronic bits, I just find the song doesn't go anywhere (musically) and is boring.), but other than that it's cool. Did take a loooong time to get into though. I always liked the first and the last tracks ('the Whore...' is one of their best, IMHO), but it took about a year before I came around to the rest of it- it's not that I hated it, because I didn't, it just didn't blow me away as much as their other stuff, and I guess it just wasn't what I wanted from a MDB album at the time. I do like it alot now though.

And Aaron has always been my preferred Death Metal vocalist, his early stuff is crushing. If he really has gotten better, I can't wait (I'm not downloading any samples or single songs- MDB albums are always better taken as a whole).

:headbang: :hotjump: :headbang:

If he really has gotten better, I can't wait (I'm not downloading any samples or single songs- MDB albums are always better taken as a whole).

I agree, MDB-albums should be regarded as a whole, but I had to surrender to my curiosity :eek:
I don't want to judge whether Aarons grunts are 'better' than the earlier stuff, but his mixed vocal style (black/death/clean) and the production kick ass. By the way, Shaun Steels obviously improved his drumming and now and then I miss something like...a violin ;)

Originally posted by my dying groom
By the way, Shaun Steels obviously improved his drumming

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I didn't need to hear that!!!!!!!!! It's hard enough to resist downloading a song as it is!!!!!! Shaun's performance on 'the light....' blew me away, now he's playing BETTER???? AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yow: