My Dying Bride...

All of their albums have Keyboards on them. You must get Turn Loose the Swans, The angel and the dark river, Light at the end of the World, and The Dreadful Hours!

the angel and the dark river has a 2nd cd that is live , if that's what you're referring to. like gods of the sun isn't that great, but has a few amazing songs (for my fallen angel, a kiss to remember, for you). no one likes as the flower withers?

The only three MDB albums worth having are:

Like Gods of the Sun
The Angel and the Dark River (both gothic/romantic/doom with clear vocals) and

Turn Loos the Swans (death/doom with heaps of violin and piano and a mix of growled and clean vocals)

they use keyboards but just for atmosphere and piano stuff...no cheesy keyboard solo's or goth melodies.

i reccomend you start off with the dreadful hours and then get turn loose the swans or light at the end of the world and then the angel and the dark river

My Dying Bride are great. Basically to start out I'd recommend getting the albums in this order:

->The Dreadfull Hours, mainly as it has the amalgamation of vocal styles on it, both the clean and growl. Apart from that I think this album is brilliant and one of the best they've done.

->The Angel and the Dark River , bloody good album :)

->Turn Loose the swans / As the flower withers, both damn good, but they are older so won't have the production that the later ones have.

-> The light at the end of the world / Like gods of the sun(or whatever:) ) , these two are my least favorite, with like Gods being the one that hardly ever gets played, as it is abit drab and MDB by numbers. The light at the end of the world is good though, and recommended (to many people their come back album after 34.788), nice and dark. And it has (yet another) version of sear me on it (how many times have they recorded that song :) ? ).

->34.788% Complete, last as it's the weird one. I avoided it for years, but got it this weekend and have spent a disproportionate amount of time listening to it. It's different and experimental, and most people will dissuade you from getting it as it isn't classic MDB. Good album nonetheless.

My Dying Bride as a band are definetly doom metal, but with the violins and keyboards were fantastic. No more violin these days, but still, bloody brillian. The soundtrack to those miserable nights and days in the dark with the curtains drawn.

What a nice thread title...had to go in :) My Dying Bride is definitely my 2nd most favorite band, after Opeth of course.
I love the gloomy atmosphere, Aaron's lyrics and tortured vocals, it's all great. "Turn Loose the Swans" and "The Light at the End of the World" are my favorites at the moment, but most of the rest is fantastic too. So in that respect, try one of the compilation albums, "Meisterwerk" 1 and/or 2.

EDIT:
Or, of course, "For Darkest Eyes", the DVD.

Try the following if you like doom/death:
Band (Albums):

Silentium (Altum, SI.VM E.T A.V.VM)

Rapture (Futile, Songs for the Withering)

Shape of Despair (Angels of Distress)

Dissolving of Prodigy (Time Ruins Also Beauty)

Novembers Doom (Of Sculptered Ivy & Stone Flowers, To Welcome the Fade)

Evereve (Seasons, Stormbirds)

Bethlehem (Before their last shitty album)

I especially love Silentium, Rapture and Novembers Doom. Evereve were great too before their vocalist commited suicide and they went disco. The two Evereve albums I listed are must-have.

They're a fantastic doom/death metal band. The following albums are highly recommended:

Turn Loose the Swans (it's a classic)
The Light at the End of the World (amazing title song)
The Dreadful Hours (one of my top 5 releases of 2001)
Like Gods of the Sun (all clean vocals, amazing too)

NP: Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry

There are already heaps of MDB threads on this forum, try doing a search.

You can't really go wrong with any of their albums, I'd rather not recommend starting out with As The Flower Withers or the "%-Album" though. Turn Loose The Swans is a must-have.