sometimes it cracks me up that my friends are approaching 30 and still live at home.

Conspicuously Absent said:
note to self: fuck living down there. I can get 2 bedroom apartment with a kitchen and laundry for about $900 a month. Less if I shared.

LOL, Boston is in the top 5 most expensive places to live in the USA. Fuck the entire Northeast as far as rent goes, seriously. It is INSANE. 900/month is expesnive as fuck as well. I dont know why/how rent has gone up SOOO MUCH in the past 15 years. I have no idea how some people survive on their own around here w/o a roomate, to be honest.

yeah, but thats a fucking sweet apartment for that price. I can get a bachelor pad for like $400/mo. In my hometown, i could rent an entire small house for that.

Conspicuously Absent said:
note to self: fuck living down there. I can get 2 bedroom apartment with a kitchen and laundry for about $900 a month. Less if I shared.

I just looked up London prices in comparison. The cheapest I can find for a 2 bed apartment on the website I looked is $(US)6,163 a month. :erk: Albeit I'm sure you can find a lot cheaper, but absolute, complete minimum is ~$2500. Feel lucky :D

EDIT: Haha, just looked up some luxury places. Renting in a nice(ish) area in London is about $17000 a month for a two bedroom apartment :erk:

Doomcifer said:
LOL, Boston is in the top 5 most expensive places to live in the USA. Fuck the entire Northeast as far as rent goes, seriously. It is INSANE. 900/month is expesnive as fuck as well. I dont know why/how rent has gone up SOOO MUCH in the past 15 years. I have no idea how some people survive on their own around here w/o a roomate, to be honest.

I live in a single-floor home, about 1,000 square feet in total. Technically a 2-bedroom (though I use the smaller one as a home office), and my rent is $1400/month, w/ heat, electricity & hot water incl. I pay an additional $160/month for cable/phone/internet, so really, my rent is ballpark $1550/month.

And yes, I live by myself. That's a single paycheck right there.

Dark One said:
Thanks man. It's obviously something I'm not proud of, so it's easy to feel down when you get lumped into the "loser" category.

I totally understand that, man, but I really was aiming at the people who've never lived away from their parents. Hey, I lived at home for a month, myself, when things ended with my last fiancee.

I pay about $1100 for 80 square meters at a nice neighbourhood. So it's not that much more expensive over there.

Also, FWIW, I went away to college for 4 years, but upon graduating, lived with my parents until I was 28 years old. I certainly don't feel that I was a "loser" because I did so. Some things are simply beyond your control, and what I was able to earn via working vs. afford in terms of living simply did not meet. Maybe if I grew up/lived in bumfuck, USA, sure...

I'd say there's a distict difference between going away to college to get an education, the most valuable thing in the world, then coming back home for a little while, and "I've never lived away from my parents in my whole life", wouldn't you?

Crimson Velvet said:
I'd say there's a distict difference between going away to college to get an education, the most valuable thing in the world, then coming back home for a little while, and "I've never lived away from my parents in my whole life", wouldn't you?

I definitely do, but I was certainly living with my parents as I approached 30 (again, I moved out finally when I was 28). According to much of what's been said in this thread, I'm a loser.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Now I certainly don't know...but I was under the impression Stockholm specifically was one of the most expensive cities in all of Europe to live in?
stockholm is not a part of sweden though, it's some sort of homosex colony