Sonar X1 Released Today 12/8

Jind

Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)
Mar 7, 2009
Ordered my upgrade to Sonar X1 Producer and in the process of downloading the parts for the installer. Should take a few hours then I'll be up and running on my new Quad Core system and Sonar X1.

I am very interested in hearing what people have to say about this, from a metal production context. Views on the pro-channel would be most interesting, as would views on the editing (slip editing and the transient recognition for instance)

I am very interested in hearing what people have to say about this, from a metal production context. Views on the pro-channel would be most interesting, as would views on the editing (slip editing and the transient recognition for instance)

Download is still cranking away - looks like it will be a few more hours before it is complete.

I'm really excited about the ProChannel feature as even someone like Craig Anderton, who's opinion I really trust on these types of things, seems to speak very glowingly about it in his thread about Sonar X1 over at Harmony Central. I think that ProChannel sounds like it may be worth the $99.00 price of the upgrade alone for me as I would spend much more in getting the quality of plugs that he seems to feel these are. That and all the workflow improvements makes it a no-brainer for me.

Sweet. Is it a completely different DAW to the prior versions of Sonar? If so, I'm down for a demo!

Completely different? Well, I guess it's more of a complete overhaul of the interface with some new features as well.

The biggest part of X1 is the workflow and GUI improvements. Many people consider Sonar to be powerful, but a bit scattered in how you use it. They have added so many features over the years and each has added more and more menus and configurations and key commands. With X1, the folks at Sonar said they through all of Sonar's capabilities on the table and restructured how the end user works. They have also added things like the new ProChannel which is a really high quality channel strip added to each and every track and bus - it's not a plugin, it's built into the system so it's more like using a console as you don;t need to insert things - it's just there ready to use.

You can find the most pertinent details here and here.

The Pro channel is EXACTLY what I have been dreaming of. I would kill to have a mixer view that will also have the parametric eq built in itself linked to a good quality EQ.

I dream of this sort of channelstrip that you could link to any parameter of any EQ plugin. So that it would load that plugin transparently, and using the GUI buttons of the built channelstrip would in reality move the vst one.

So that you would have a console inside your DAW that would have the SSL channelstrip or metric halo or what you want inside it, and you wouldn't have to load each and each instance to add 1db at 400Hz or do this highpass.

Haha, I got about 1 minute into the overview video before I had to stop from all the laughing.

The guy is talking about Sonar's 'unparalleled user interface', meanwhile the video is scrolling through some guy browsing a ton of windows that look like a bunch of frat boys threw up all over the screen after pizza night. Seems like everyone is still playing catch-up to ProTools.

Haha, I got about 1 minute into the overview video before I had to stop from all the laughing.

The guy is talking about Sonar's 'unparalleled user interface', meanwhile the video is scrolling through some guy browsing a ton of windows that look like a bunch of frat boys threw up all over the screen after pizza night. Seems like everyone is still playing catch-up to ProTools.

um... Maybe watch the whole video before writing it off?

Yeah Ermz, that part was actually showing "what Sonar is not". 10s later you can see their own improved interface. Which I... don't like.

EDIT : ok thought you were talking about the first example where he throws many windows on top of each other.

Hey Jind, do you have the manual with it?

No and that's a bit bothersome - they only included the "User Manual" and not the "Reference Guide" with the current download. The "User Guide" is only a hundred plus pages covering the main differences with the new version. The "Reference Guide" is the 1400 page behemoth that goes in depth into every Sonar feature. I hope they make the download link available soon.

There is a thread on the Cakewalk forums but so far no response from Cakewalk.

Post your impressions when you'll be a bit familiarized with it. I really wanna hear about the prochannel!

rhythminmind from the Cakewalk forums did a quick comparison between the Duende SSL Bus Comp to the ProChannel 4K setting - you can find it here:

http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=2388

I've been having system problems the past few days since I installed my new MB and CPU - I think the CPU may be defective so I have not had a great deal of time with X1 yet. I'm going to do a bit more testing and try my old CPU in this MB and try and narrow down the problem so I can do an RMA for whatever may be wrong.

Here I am with a new toy and my system is buggered :(

For all you Sonar guys! I started yesterday mixing Dimefest IV with Sonar X1, and I experimented a bit with the new ProChannel...and guys, to me, it´s huge! The two model compressor works great, the EQ is very accurate and the saturation adds some bite to your tracks....it´s been such a great surprise...
Now I have to check the multidrum edition capabilities of AudioSnap 2.0 and it´s quantize feature...as now I´m doing all my drum editing in Reaper with Adam Wathan´s Autopocket....

Cheers!

Looking through the manual, it looks like you can slip edit in Sonar! Is this new? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the manual, but alt+shift should slip edit. Wish I was on Windows so I could give it a try, it looks pretty killer to be honest.