sonata arctica forum

Originally posted by Heidi
mourningstar, well, if I was in a band, I would have some bad feelings about it. Because look what happened last time they joined in community. :(

Joining a community can be either a bad or good experience. It's all what you make of it. My forums area small closenit community that the assholes tend to avoid. Hell in the year I've ran it and approaching 500 members, I have had to ban three people. Since the In Flames official forum closed, I resurrected it there, and I have been told by many sources (some of which have a definite stake in it) that the community is actually much better than the old one. 11,500 posts in 2 months can't be wrong.

All I can really say is give it a shot, who knows, you might even like it? At least it's a place to talk for the fans which should have came around somehow within the last 3 or so months. I created that forum in literally 10 minutes, plus an extra 15 for the graphics. Considering the abundance of free forum scripts (literally hundreds) you can find on the web, it shouldn't have been that hard for an official community to crop up, long ago. I offer the convinience of the forum already there, that looks good and free. (And I won't charge for it. I'm too principled. I will close HMAS.org down before I start charging users/bands)

Anyway I've rambled too much, you are more than welcome to join in. The choice, ultimately, is up to you :)

Originally posted by mourningstar
but what happened to the band, exactly? nothing. they were asked to pay, they didn't want to, the forum was removed. no one whipped us, let alone one of the band members.

Exactly..we're the ones who were left high and dry when they left UM, the decision didn't affect the band a bit (aside from perhaps some fans thinking they're a bunch of cheapos now). There's no reason on earth that they shouldn't have a new forum up and running after months and months..all of this activity (or more correctly, lack thereof) just makes me think that we as the fans aren't as important to the band as we ought to be. Sad, but apparently true. So it's just too damn bad for them if they want to pout because fans have taken the initiative to create a place to communicate, after the bandhas failed to do so themselves.

Originally posted by Reno
it's a place to talk for the fans which should have came around somehow within the last 3 or so months. I created that forum in literally 10 minutes, plus an extra 15 for the graphics. Considering the abundance of free forum scripts (literally hundreds) you can find on the web, it shouldn't have been that hard for an official community to crop up, long ago.

That's my point, only it's stated better.
The fact that Wellu hasn't sorted out a new forum is pretty unbelievable, really.
There ARE lots of free and very easy to use scripts on the net, yes, and when Wellu posted asking for suggestions several months back, I emailed him with a list of at least 6 or so good ones (excluding EZboard).
I can't understand why on earth Wellu hasn't sorted one out yet. Without making an offensive jibe at Wellu, it seems like laziness.

And if the band find the initiative shown by some other people (in this case, Reno) in making up for what Wellu hasn't done distasteful or are upset by it, that's too bad. They should be appreciative of that and not angered by it.

First:

It was a matter of principal that SA left UM. Nothing more.

Second:

They've promised us a new forum. I don't know why it's taking so long.

Reno, I'm not the band, you shouldn't talk to me. :)

Now I send an e-mail to the bandmembers and ask about this.

But if you all are ready to judge SA because of this, why they should even give us a forum?

Reno, I'm not the band, you shouldn't talk to me. :)

*whew!* Boy I'm glad we cleared that up. You sure you're not back up Tomborine?

Now I send an e-mail to the bandmembers and ask about this.

Please do. And also tell them that I cheerfully welcome them to jump in at anytime and discuss anything that is on their mind.

But if you all are ready to judge SA because of this, why they should even give us a forum?

And if we perceive the band as not caring about us, why should we even buy their albums? It's not a question of wheather or not they should grace us with their presence. Did any of them even post at the old forum? If not, then in essence it was just an endorsed forum more than official one. There's no rules against me making a Sonata Arctica forum as long as I don't slap that nifty little "official" tagline anywhere on it. I PMed and E-Mailed Wellu, about it, already toots, and so far no reply, so I decided to take the initiative. Which one do want for the band? A single thread that's 28 pages long or a nice Un-official forum where the members can have some semblance of a community of their own, again. If you don't like, it, hey your loss, don't join in. I won't lose sleep over it. But regardless of your feelings about it, there is a demand for it and I will try my best to satisfy that demand.

That's what being a fan is about. Again, join if you like, cheerfully discuss SA if you do, if not, oh well.

-=Reno=-
(Trying his damndest not to sound like a prick)

First:

It was a matter of principal that SA left UM. Nothing more.

Ok, maybe I might have been hit in the head with one too many sledge hammers, but I seem to remember it being stated publicly with a whole thread devoted to it, that it had to do with the monthly charge, not principal. Then again, I didn't post, I only lurked. If it was a matter of principal over not paying $5 a month for their fans, then I guess that clears things up a little...

Considering $5 US dollars will buy you about a Happy Meal and a medium coke... I don't think it was too much to ask for... maybe they really wanted a Happy Meal prize, instead of a forum?

-=Reno=-
(Did someone say McDonald's!?)

hi reno :wave:

my take on the sa situation: heidi said it was a matter of principle because when sa joined the community it was free and then the rules changed later on (at least that's what she claims, and i suppose she has to have some ground for that statement). however, i do agree that sa seem to like their happy meals a lot more than building a community: despite this ongoing thread and a fairly interested fanbase, they never took any action since the board here was closed. i'm tempted to think heidi's conservative and rather shy vision is close to the true feelings of the band, whose members maybe don't really want to get involved in a wider circuit, for reasons i can't begin to fathom.
needless to say, i think your attempts to try and dig them out of their shell are good and right. ;)

rahvin.

other than stirring up more conversation this is a boring topic, it's all been gone over before like bones on the veldt. please, all, I understand Heidi's position even though I don't think its that big of a deal. But more to the point, Reno has filled a need which is the hallmark of a free market economy.

Thank you Reno. the only band member who ever posted here to my knowledge was Jani, and that was very infrequently.

Heidi: you have to admit SA has been slow here. A msg board is a great publicity tool and means of keeping the fans informed and close-knit. If the guys don't want or really care about that, its their choice, but the simple proof is that virtually every band with any kind of following has some means web-wise of communicating.

I think SA is a young band with a tremendous up-side, and getting the word out about them is something the web can do. In a "community" like Reno's or UM, people can learn about new bands if the name intrigues them, or simply out of curiosity; if a band has a board all by themselves, that possibility is probably much diminished.

That's right, Lizard. Let's not all start going on about this again too much, lest some clever so-and-so decides to start a thread about it over on the new unofficial SA forum.
As long as everyone is aware that I am right, we're ok :D

In other news, I have just got a new super-fast cable connection. Pages load quickly and I can stream my mp3's with greater quality. I love it!
What's that you say? Where can you hear my various mp3's? Where can you hear the little dance song I created, the Eric Johnson style lead guitar part?
Why, you only have to click the links in my quote.

Gratuitous advertising? Naaaaaaaaay. I call it initiatve :)

Originally posted by lizard
Heidi: you have to admit SA has been slow here. A msg board is a great publicity tool and means of keeping the fans informed and close-knit. If the guys don't want or really care about that, its their choice, but the simple proof is that virtually every band with any kind of following has some means web-wise of communicating.

Yeah, I know... :cry: I really hope they are doing something! I send the e-mail but nothing yet. But hey, maybe they start a new forum when the new album is released? Maybe they've waited...?

Sorry but I don't want to think bad things of them.

Sorry but I don't want to think bad things of them.
and that's cool, you're loyal.

But hey, maybe they start a new forum when the new album is released? Maybe they've waited...?
very probably! but no info on the recording process? no tidbits to get the fans salivating? IMO Stratovarius does the best job at this, fueling the fires of anticipation.
It's almost as though the band is having internal difficulties and noone can agree on what to do. There, you've heard it here first, SA is breaking up.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D