Song to mix

Here's my go at it: click here

cobhc, might be accidentally but your mix is reaaaally loud and clipping. Otherwise nice, but couldn't listen to it much because of the clipping.

csholtmeier, cool mix, though it's a bit too wet for my taste and pretty quiet.

felipe-x, so far I liked yours most, though I find it too scooped and the kick is too robotic, IMO.

edit: some mistriggering going on in my mix, gonna fix that later.

Here's my go at it: click here

cobhc, might be accidentally but your mix is reaaaally loud and clipping. Otherwise nice, but couldn't listen to it much because of the clipping.

csholtmeier, cool mix, though it's a bit too wet for my taste and pretty quiet.

felipe-x, so far I liked yours most, though I find it too scooped and the kick is too robotic, IMO.

edit: some mistriggering going on in my mix, gonna fix that later.

hey thnks about that!! :D for the kick i use andy sneap kick with slate one and yeah is a little bit robotic but... kreator kick are like that jat jeeje ... and toms are from chimaira about the kick i think is a little louder on the mix...

thnks again :loco: i just try to ahieve Voices Of Transgression gtrs sound

Come on, you're being hard on yourself. Even if your mix isn't as good as someone else' that's no reason to give up trying.

I have noticed that the player on myspace is filtering my mix a bit, so here is the direct link
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/7/1328148/people of the lie mp3.mp3

I hope you are all enjoying this as much as I am. It's great to hear different interpretations on my recorded tracks.
A few comments on mixes so far (in general). Not saying I am right or wrong (there are no rules).
The double track vocal is being a bit over used. I wanted it for extra depth without being obtrusive. Too much triggers. The Sonor S Class Maple is a seriously good kit. The kick drum really moves a lot of air, especially in conjunction with the neumann in front of it. 100% trigger sounds seperate from the kit to me, but hey, most modern metal sounds like that (fully triggered), so I can't fault it. The room mic on the kit can be used as a really nice natural reverb if it is squashed and gated off the snare, which I haven't heard yet.
I really like the guitar tones some of you guys are getting. Please comment on what mix of the 3 mics and eqs you used.

Also wondering how you guys are finding the raw tracks. Is there anything bugging you or would you have done anything differently.

Michael

Here is my attempt:

Kreator Cover

What do you think?

Very nice, but seems to be a bit too compressed and clipping.

mickrich, at certain points your mix shows -6.5 db rms, too much, IMHO.

As for the tracks, they are really good. The kit does indeed sound very nice and I also like the guitars. I did blend the kick and snare, something like 30% original 70% sample but as far as guitars go, I only used C4 for the low mids and some minor eq cuts, oh and almost entirely the sm57 tracks, I left the other tracks very low.

Yeah, I thought the tracking in general is good although I wasn't keen on the guitar tones. I thought they were a bit overgained, and although I'm not sure what the amp and cab set up was, I think there is room for improvement.

I'd recommend tracking DI's while you track guitars and bass just to give you the options come mix time, in case you need them.

In my clip, the guitars are mostly the 57's with the condenser tracks about 10dB lower, and panned slightly more centrally. I didn't use the room mics for my mix. I used samples a fair amount on this, mostly because I haven't had enough time to give it a proper mix yet. I did however use a healthy amount of the ambience mic track.

Overall though nice job on it!

Since this is going on a compilation album, I went for MAX level so the track jumps out. -6.5 is not that high these days (unfortunately). I am pretty sure my mix isn't clipping, but I don't think that comment (from Shadow Walker) was directed at me.
The song was done start to finish in one 9 hour session so there was no time for reamping.
The guitar was BC Rich (not sure what model, but good) to ts808 to mxr 10 band graphic to powerball with ENGL 4x12 V30s.

Well, it wasn't directed at you but I think yours has clipping too. You can check it out, for example I got this after selecting "detect only extreme clips"
screenshot

Also 6.5 rms being normal ... that CD's going to sound like war :(

I checked the 16 bit wav for clipping at the end of the session and it is safe. Just checked the mp3 in Bias Peak and it shows -6.58 as the highest level (not average level) at 0.00 db. I always master to -.02 so it must be the mp3 conversion clipping it, which is a common occurrence.
I'm not going to get into a "loudness war" debate, but bands want their stuff LOUD! these days, and if you don't provide that, they will go somewhere else to get it. Personally I hate overloud stuff and find it very fatiguing to listen to, but hey, the customer is always right since they vote with their wallet.

Well around -9 seems most reasonable to me. -7.5 is pretty much the limit, IMO and that's if there are lots of double bass parts. Anyway, you're right, we shouldn't start this debate :)

I used to master to -0.2 peak as well, but for some time now have been going with -0.5 and I'm pretty happy with the results.