Songs for a failing relationship

Mantraschism

Skáld
Oct 23, 2002
Augusta, GA (Lost in the Twilight Hall)
I tried to make this thread last night, but the forum shit the bed on me. So time for round two....

Depressing and personal subject, I know, but I think most of us have been in a relationship that ended sadly. And, in my opinion, there's no better time for Katatonia than that. So what Katatonia songs really spoke for you, captured your feelings, etc., during those times? It doesn't just have to be songs you liked after the relationship ended - really, any time you felt desperate in a relationship, or once you realized that it was deteriorating, that's what I'm looking for. By the way, the lyrics don't necessarily have to be relevant to the topic. Just want to know the Katatonia songs that did it for you, musically or lyrically.

Feel free to explain why you chose the songs you did, if you wish.

And here we go....

Brave - This is such a desperate yet determined song. 'Brave try the meaning of loss I know your smile is deadly at this point'. Trying your damnedest, in vain. Seeing the other person happy after things went wrong, resenting it. This was the last song I listened to in 2007.

Right into the Bliss - Forlorn hopefulness. Knowing that it will never get better but trying to be optimistic anyway.

Black Session - The last verse of this song is so great. Telling the other person that you will act like nothing ever happened, when you both know it did. It's a very sad state to be in.

Dispossession - Very bitter, but in a way that is more sad than angry. Betrayal.

Chrome - When it seemed that bad things never stopped happening, this was a very good song for me. It captured a lot of the horror and sorrow I felt.

Don't Tell a Soul - More of a retrospective song, and again very bitter. 'If that's the way of it, then fuck you, I'll just be alone.'

Ghost of the Sun - Pretty obvious, if you feel betrayed.

Sleeper - The girl I love recently told me of how she almost killed herself, and just barely didn't go through with it. I'm still pretty broken up about it. 'If you die now, how can I then live on?'

Burn the Remembrance - Again, obvious. I love the way he describes a crucial communication breakdown at the end of a relationship. 'But you were standing against the hotel wall/Frozen in an unknown thought.' You are never quite sure what the other person's thinking by that point - they can't or won't even tell you. But whatever it was, was fatal.

Evidence - Of course, I've never been in a situation quite like this, but the finale is so moving. It captures for me the feeling of being burned by someone but still loving them.

Leaders - A bitter slap in the face. Giving your all while the other person is complacent. 'I split my heart in two, but you don't have it in you, do you?'

My Twin - My one true love leaving me (for a time, but then I thought it was forever). The whole song is very emotional to me.

March 4 - Remembering how good it used to be, in light of how bad it became.

I might think of more later.

Your turn!

I had a bitter break up with this girl I'd been off, and on with for 2 years, and at the time I used to listen to LFDGD a lot so when I hear Dispossession it especially makes me want to smack an emo kid in the face.

gone - when you thought you had a love and it went away before you knew it, first song I listened to when a relationship ended last summer

this punishment - a song for the deep, killing feeling of guilt.

chrome - inability to communicate.

saw you drown - loosing the loved one to something, not someone, drugs etc.. or loosing by sudden death.

my twin . your soulmate might not be the love of your life. I found that one out, quite a surprise (either that or I have two.).

Dissolving Bonds - when trust and closeness dissolve.

Edit:

July - oddly enough a relationship ended last july and I never wanted to listen to it again since then.

but still..

tonight's music/right into the bliss - this piece of hope at the horizon

in the white - I chose to believe that this song is the most positive ever by Katatonia. And with Novembre's Croma it has become THE song of my love.

Had To (Leave) - For me, the lyrics on this track say to me that you want the relationship to go on, but really you know that it has to end because it is not getting any better.

Awesome verse:
It's so hard to explain what I meant
when I said that I wanted you dead
but I saw you fuck up and I just can't get back
the feeling I had for you

Great stuff, everyone! Lisra, thanks for explaining your choices, too. =] I've never found 'In the White' to be that positive, though. Then again... holy shit, I have to add that one to my list now. 'And if you don't see, I'll remain unseen, until there's time to be remembered.' My girl... it's been a long, difficult, strange experience (and it's ongoing), but she didn't realize she loved me until after last time we 'severed ties'. She couldn't say anything because I had told her I never wanted to talk to her again (heh =[). But as chance would have it, we got into a conversation a couple of weeks ago, and now.... =D

Edit: Bleak Eyes, you just reminded me of another one. I fucking love that verse, and I've related to it many, many times.

Had To (Leave) - For me, the lyrics on this track say to me that you want the relationship to go on, but really you know that it has to end because it is not getting any better.

Awesome verse:
It's so hard to explain what I meant
when I said that I wanted you dead
but I saw you fuck up and I just can't get back
the feeling I had for you

My Twin is classic for me. It is like your girlfriend ends up with another guy, but he is nothing compared to you. My favourite line from this track is: You have lost, no one has won.

EDIT: Haha, I did not mean to quote myself. I meant to edit the original post.

Not a bad idea for a topic. Speaking from personal experience, I'd say (and i'll quote a line from some):

Brave - "Wherever you are, I am not"

Endtime

Nowhere - "Atmosphere decays in me, I fail to convict my useless days"

At Last

Inside the Fall

Cold Ways - "I can't do, what you do"

(Had to) Leave

Dispossession

Chrome - "Burn down my house, make something happen"

Teargas - "Why have you put so many things into my eyes that I can't see a thing"

Tonight's Music

My Twin - "I think of love, I let it pass, it feels like fire, but it won't last"

July - "Why have you left me? Are you dead to love?"

for me, I'd say these capture the kind of feelings around a relationship related fuck up, and also the kind of way you (or I) feel in the weeks/months after, like your life feels very still and like it isn't going to go anywhere. also feelings of uselessness and loss of hope, and intense apathy towards shit... if you know what I mean.

First of all i have to say that this is very good subject for a thread

I will post only couple favourites since typing is really slow with this ipod

I like the end of Evidence since it has almost got me to send a letter :D
And Gone since it's probably the best song in the world to describe the feeling beeing dumped

I have never had a failing relationship so i dont know how it feels, i guess it must be hard. But i have felt something worse, my moms illness and death, and while everything was happening, i remember that i didnt feel like listening to sad or depressing music at all, right the contrary, i needed to find some light in my life so i listened to happy and optimistic songs to cheer me up a bit.
And when i listened to Katatonia for the first time it was summer, i was feeling great taking sunbaths in my garden. So not always music reflects mood, at least not in my case.

My Twin - More or less a summary of everyone else's reasons.

Coil - Being around someone everyday for years, with an unexplanable deep attraction, and knowing you can't have them (both already in a committed relationship). Knowing someday you'll leave, and they'll never know how you felt. Bit of a weird choice & meaning, but I have an emotional connection to this song now.

In The White - "Are you in, or are you out?" "Truth comes down, strikes me in the eye" "I have waited for you always"

Day - A depressing song in general. "Your smile has decayed"

Been through that. Whoever hasn't will some day, surely.

Best example for me would be Omerta, it's like that song was written about the same sort of situation. Especially this excerpt;
"Was it because I never told you
I was going away
That you waited so long
Was it because your fucking dreams
Meant nothing to me
That you waited so long"

I remembered another one: Code Against the Code. 'You once were the one who had it' was such a powerful line for me at one time. In my mind, it was like the song was speaking for me: 'you were the one who had my love'.

(Even though 'Coil' is an Opeth song, it's still a great song for the situation. =])

Thanks to everyone who's said 'good idea for a thread'! After reading the Opeth forum so much, you get tired of seeing the words 'shit' and 'thread' next to each other.

i think that could be, as I am, a song for the end of a relation

I've lost my strength somewhere nowhere
Used to care about weather
Used to plan the days that came
Used to try and watch you
Used to know my name
Someone said remember
But I can't remember anything at all
Anything at all

it's nowhere...i think that when a relation dies, we lose the ability of appreciate all the nice things that we made together or just we lose the cognition of time and space....i absolutely love the creator of this song