Sonisphere CZ

johnnieCzech

Your favourite Czech
Feb 5, 2002
Prague
OK, since they at last moved the whole show to Prague, I thought I'd reconsider and buy the ticket, expensive as fuck but whatever. I had to do some work on Saturday so I arrived a bit late. I missed Duff McKagan, Misfits, Kreator and Cavalera Conspiracy.

Mastodon - saw them two years ago supporting Slayer and didn't like them at all. It might have been because they played only in one guitar then. But I did enjoy the Sonisphere show. The sound was killer and the whole band was brutal.

In Flames - thought they were OK but compared to Mastodon, their guitars sounded like shit. They must be using some guitar rigs or PODs (no amplifiers on stage). But overall it was good. They had some fill in drummer who I thought was better than the original one.

Korn - what a pile of fucking dog shit. I never liked this band so I pretty much did not expect anything otherwise, but well, I had thought I could be pleasantly surprised, having seen them for the first time. But in fact, the amount of their sucking was the only surprising thing. I wish someone would tell me what is good about this band. They might have a pretty good drummer, but the rest is just unlistenable. I literally suffered through their set.

Iron Maiden - probably not their best show I've seen, mainly due to the fact the sound was a bit inconsistent, but onstage they did pretty good job as always. Guys in their fifties, running around the stage, jumping around and always smiling, playing their asses off. As far as the setlist went, it was pretty much "the best of" set. My friend who was there told me he'd seen them in Croatia and the show was much better there. Maybe it was the sound, but whatever, the energy they had this night was overwhelming.

OK, since they at last moved the whole show to Prague, I thought I'd reconsider and buy the ticket, expensive as fuck but whatever. I had to do some work on Saturday so I arrived a bit late. I missed Duff McKagan, Misfits, Kreator and Cavalera Conspiracy.

Mastodon - saw them two years ago supporting Slayer and didn't like them at all. It might have been because they played only in one guitar then. But I did enjoy the Sonisphere show. The sound was killer and the whole band was brutal.

In Flames - thought they were OK but compared to Mastodon, their guitars sounded like shit. They must be using some guitar rigs or PODs (no amplifiers on stage). But overall it was good. They had some fill in drummer who I thought was better than the original one.

Korn - what a pile of fucking dog shit. I never liked this band so I pretty much did not expect anything otherwise, but well, I had thought I could be pleasantly surprised, having seen them for the first time. But in fact, the amount of their sucking was the only surprising thing. I wish someone would tell me what is good about this band. They might have a pretty good drummer, but the rest is just unlistenable. I literally suffered through their set.

Iron Maiden - probably not their best show I've seen, mainly due to the fact the sound was a bit inconsistent, but onstage they did pretty good job as always. Guys in their fifties, running around the stage, jumping around and always smiling, playing their asses off. As far as the setlist went, it was pretty much "the best of" set. My friend who was there told me he'd seen them in Croatia and the show was much better there. Maybe it was the sound, but whatever, the energy they had this night was overwhelming.

Sucks you missed 3 of the best bands on the bill, other than Iron Maiden of course. Misfits, Kreator, Cavalera Conspiracy aka Sepultura.

I know but the whole thing just started way too fucking early, I had some stuff to do and couldn't get there earlier.

I would say, yes, it was a typical Maiden show. Bruce Dickinson did his classical "SCREAM FOR ME PRAGUE!!!!" in every other song. I loved that!

Here is the setlist:
Satellite 15...The Final Frontier, El Dorado, 2 Minutes To Midnight, The Talisman, Coming Home, Dance Of Death, The Trooper, The Wicker Man, Blood Brothers, Where The Wild Wind Blows, The Evil That Men Do, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Number Of The Beast, Running Free.

I sorry that you missed all the good bands. I was thinking about going to Sonisphere FIN, but Rob Zombie canceled, so there's no point anymore.

Misfits still have Jerry Only on vocals? I wish they still had Graves.

Yeah me too. I thought the band was at their best with Graves.

I sorry that you missed all the good bands. I was thinking about going to Sonisphere FIN, but Rob Zombie canceled, so there's no point anymore.

Rob Zombie is absolutely horrible live. His voice is completely processed and on autotune in the studio. He has a horrible live voice. His music has been terrible after the Hellbilly Deluxe CD. Not sure why you would hold him in such high regard. White Zombie was really cool but Rob Zombie solo is just not the same, especially in the past decade.

Rob Zombie is absolutely horrible live. His voice is completely processed and on autotune in the studio. He has a horrible live voice. His music has been terrible after the Hellbilly Deluxe CD. Not sure why you would hold him in such high regard. White Zombie was really cool but Rob Zombie solo is just not the same, especially in the past decade.

100% agreed. I started losing respect for him when he remixed all of astro creep. Sure, it had plenty of ear candy on it. We used to drop ecstasy and fuck to it. White Zombie should have never broken up. Did he ever really give a reason why he disbanded WZ??

100% agreed. I started losing respect for him when he remixed all of astro creep. Sure, it had plenty of ear candy on it. We used to drop ecstasy and fuck to it. White Zombie should have never broken up. Did he ever really give a reason why he disbanded WZ??

He just has said that they didn't get along etc. White Zombie could have gone on to be one of the biggest metal bands ever. But they couldn't get along and Rob Zombie just decided to put out some REALLY bad albums with some REALLY bad songs. He just seems to be a weird dude that likes to write really cheesy music. I really wish they could all just put their differences aside and at least do a big reunion tour and play the entire first album and most of Astro Creep.

Even songs like this... were cool as hell

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the setlist:
Satellite 15...The Final Frontier, El Dorado, 2 Minutes To Midnight, The Talisman, Coming Home, Dance Of Death, The Trooper, The Wicker Man, Blood Brothers, Where The Wild Wind Blows, The Evil That Men Do, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Number Of The Beast, Running Free.

Thats a pretty good set. :worship:

You know what, for once you're absolutely right. Really, I agree with everything you said, but the man who was once the leader of White Zombie, on of my favorite bands, will always be cool in my book. That's why I hold him in such high regard. Also, I've never had the opportunity to see him live and the band is great.

White Zombie disbanded after Rob quit fucking that bass player chick...

Accoding to Sean, they stopped fucking after La Sexorcisto.

Famous Monsters era with Graves around '99-2001 was awesome and of course the classic Danzig era!

Yep, American Psycho and Famous Mosters are both excellent albums. In fact, I'm listening to The Shining right now!

Accoding to Sean, they stopped fucking after La Sexorcisto.

Pussy always gets in the way. What a shame. White Zombie could have been a supergroup and continued to put out quality music. Rob Zombie by himself just kind of when off the deep end. I actually enjoy most of the Hellbilly Deluxe CD but after that it started getting worse and worse. Each disc would have a few good songs and the rest were terrible.

It's weird. If you listen to his voice on La Sexorcisto it sounds almost nothing like what it does on Astro Creep and everything after it. Must have been some studio magic going on back then.

I think Hellbilly Deluxe is great, I've got nothing bad to say about that. About half of Sinister Urge I liked, Educated Horses has two good songs (Let It All Bleed Out & American Witch) and Hellbilly II I can't even remember any of the songs. Except for that I hated the single.

To me Astro-Creep is the ultimate Zombie album. More processed than La Sexorcisto, sure, but the music is better.

Agreed about Zombie. White Zombie was fucking great (well, from La Sexorcisto onwards - the stuff before that was beyond terrible)...his first solo record is cool but he basically became a guy doing 'scary' pop songs. It may have had a metal edge but it was nowhere near as good as White Zombie.

I think Hellbilly Deluxe is great, I've got nothing bad to say about that. About half of Sinister Urge I liked, Educated Horses has two good songs (Let It All Bleed Out & American Witch) and Hellbilly II I can't even remember any of the songs. Except for that I hated the single.

To me Astro-Creep is the ultimate Zombie album. More processed than La Sexorcisto, sure, but the music is better.

Agree, other than I think la Sexorcisto is by far the best White Zombie album. That to me is one of the best albums ever made. Astro-Creep is good but doesn't have the same vibe as the La Sexorcisto album to me. Over produced a bit and not as original in sound