Sony being dumb again

Just gonna go ahead and get me one of these
1960recordplayer.jpg

And hold on to my NES and my Dreamcast (that I've been trying to sell on CL) :lol:

The thing that pisses me off about this is that it's not exactly like the games industry is going down the pan like the music industry is. It makes fucking billions every year and is growing! There's absolutely no justification for a dick move like this.

1st of all, just because they're filing for a patent doesn't mean that they're going to use the technology in the prescribed manner. doing away with the pre-owned market would not only kill their sales, but would tank all of the video game and electronics stores that make most of their money off of 2nd hand sales.

2nd, the price of video games isn't as bad as some people think. sure $60 seems like a shit ton on the surface, but how many 100s of hours of entertainment can that get you? think of what else you can do to entertain your self or family with $60, and a video game starts looking pretty affordable. on top of that, i remember paying $47(tax included) to buy the original NES legend of zelda when i was 7 years old. that means that in 22 years, the price of a top title has gone from a little over $40 to $60. compare that with any other form of entertainment, and the cost increase over the years really hasn't been that great.

all in all, it seems like a bunch of premature freaking out - because in the end, if sony were to apply their patent to their product and not allow the competitors to, everyone would jump ship, and they're smart enough to realize this.

How exactly would it make piracy obsolete? If we're talking CDs and putting a stop-gap measure into them I could see that being feasible but for digital downloads? Some people listen on numerous devices, car stereos(and friend's car stereos), etc.. Are we going to restrict playback to one device, use a passcode or what?

Fuck this world is getting too complicated for my old ass. Off to listen to some Pink Floyd on my record player.

Like I said, I don't really think anything is going to happen to the music industry which will make piracy obsolete. But it's a nice thought :)

Sony would have to be completely fucking insane to follow through with this. They have to realize that such a move would alienate a large portion of their customers. Implementing this would be suicide.

2nd, the price of video games isn't as bad as some people think. sure $60 seems like a shit ton on the surface, but how many 100s of hours of entertainment can that get you?

100s hours? Are you kidding me? Most of the games have 12/14h, Last time I bought a game I ended the game in 5h, and I gave 35 euros, so it´s 35 euros for 5h of fun. Yeah it´s too much, some bitches blow for less. Only RPG´s have so many hours and there arent a lot in the market.

Yeah I bought a game in 90´s for 60 euros but you know the funny thing? after 15 years here in Portugal our wages are almost the same, most of the cases even less and yes in that time games were quite expensive but nowadays every shit is quite expensive not only games and the money isnt enough for all. That´s the problem.

2nd, the price of video games isn't as bad as some people think. sure $60 seems like a shit ton on the surface, but how many 100s of hours of entertainment can that get you? think of what else you can do to entertain your self or family with $60, and a video game starts looking pretty affordable. on top of that, i remember paying $47(tax included) to buy the original NES legend of zelda when i was 7 years old. that means that in 22 years, the price of a top title has gone from a little over $40 to $60. compare that with any other form of entertainment, and the cost increase over the years really hasn't been that great.

This!
Tho i don't care if playstation does this, i am a pc gamer, we actually can't use second hand games most of the time. But like you say indeed, i remember back the the days, new pc games costed like 1999 Belgian franks, now they most cost 49,99 euro. Its the same, price hasnt changed for years. While a beer in the pub used to cost like 35 to 40 belgian franks, its now 1,50 to 2,50 euro. Wich is more then double. Same goes for Ricola, or just most of food and necessary things in life.
It's sony being smart, the majority probably buys their games new anyway. Every company needs to keep making profit to stay alive. While many countries are increasing taxes on luxury goods, i think the entertainment sector does a decent job (peavey amps still cost the same also). They could also become assholes and just increase the price, but they don't.
Big example is washing powder and whatever there is to clean. They just decrease the content of the product, and keep the price the same, or make bigger packages, 2L instead of 1.5L and then almost double the price. Ppl wont notice it that much. I see no one bitching about this? There is just one sony, if that dies, its no more playstation. I think there are still enough washing powder companies left keep our clothes clean if one of them dies.

This!
Tho i don't care if playstation does this, i am a pc gamer, we actually can't use second hand games most of the time. But like you say indeed, i remember back the the days, new pc games costed like 1999 Belgian franks, now they most cost 49,99 euro. Its the same, price hasnt changed for years. While a beer in the pub used to cost like 35 to 40 belgian franks, its now 1,50 to 2,50 euro. Wich is more then double. Same goes for Ricola, or just most of food and necessary things in life.
It's sony being smart, the majority probably buys their games new anyway. Every company needs to keep making profit to stay alive. While many countries are increasing taxes on luxury goods, i think the entertainment sector does a decent job (peavey amps still cost the same also). They could also become assholes and just increase the price, but they don't.
Big example is washing powder and whatever there is to clean. They just decrease the content of the product, and keep the price the same, or make bigger packages, 2L instead of 1.5L and then almost double the price. Ppl wont notice it that much. I see no one bitching about this? There is just one sony, if that dies, its no more playstation. I think there are still enough washing powder companies left keep our clothes clean if one of them dies.

I think the difference is, none of your mums play Playstation. They sure do use a lot of washing powder though!

For us germans the prices actually doubled with the Euro. Games were 50 DM which is 25,56€. But the games are 50€ (up to 70€) now, so...

I'm a PC gamer and I don't like consoles so I really don't care that much, but I think it could drive some people away from the PS4 and to PC gaming which I would welcome.

I don't get multiplayer either. The only game I've tried to do that with is Day Z and even that gets pretty old. Then again I guess most of us arent Koreans and die from playing WoW for 90 hours straight with no pee breaks because it's apparently so exciting. :lol:

what if sony is just patenting this and not using it so that no one else will use it to piss everyone off? that would be dope as fuck, but i still doubt it

Not a console gamer - have an old PS2 that has not been powered-up in over 5 - 6 years. Still play some PC based games, but never really got into consoles. Since I don't really have a dog in this fight my opinion is pretty much "meh".

These media companies are simply trying to keep the monetary streams relating to their products under their control for as long as they can. To be quite honest I always thought it was quite odd that they really ever allowed purchasers to sell used physical media based games, music, movies, ... Perhaps given the easy transportation of physical media it was a losing fight - but times and technology have changed. With the advent of streaming everything it's only a matter of time before physical media is a thing of the past and the providers have cradle to grave control. They are all getting in the business of streaming themselves instead of allowing outside companies to profit on their content. Either through self fulfillment or licensing agreements they are battening down the access to what they feel they own.

I love how this thread ended up being half Americans bitching at Sony and half Europeans complaining about single currency exchange rates and wage stagnation

The point of entertainment hours = $$$ is pretty valid actually

$60 bucks is a couple nights at the pub with your buddies

It's also 70 + hours in Skyrim for me right now with possibly another 70 to go so I have no complaints there

Still, I do love Game Stop so the concept is a bit of a mixed bag for me if it went down the road everyone is assuming

I'm also guessing that if your console died you probably wouldn't have to buy new versions. Most likely a cloud based registration data base on the PS Network or something

Thing is though, 12h of an absolutely incredible game is better than 50h of a terrible game. In the same way that'd you'd rather listen to 1 minute of your favourite band than 30 of Justin Bieber or whatever other terrible musical amalgamations you can think of. Dunno about you guys but I'd gladly pay £40 for an amazing 10 hour long single player RPG. Also consider that most of the entertainment factor in most multiplayer games is not the game itself, but the experience of playing it with friends/other people. I can think of a ton of games I'd hate playing solo but love playing with a few friends. CoD Zombies is a great example. I fucking hate that game mode and those game in general, but with friends it's an absolute blast, every single time. :lol: