Sorry for the silence....

James Murphy

Mar 26, 2002
Hi everyone. I’m sorry for dropping out.. I’ve been dealing with my Grandmother’s illness and passing. Several weeks ago she was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor, quite large and inoperable. She has always been a major part of our family life and an “anchor” if you will, always there for me with a place to stay and a meal throughout the ups and downs of my career, not to mention her unconditional love.

Dealing with the emotional side and logistics of always having at least one family member in the hospital with her... And now with the family handling all her final business... It’s been overwhelming and ongoing. Her funeral was last week and I have begun to see the light of day again finally.

Even with these issues I managed to get more recording for the death tribute done. On the day of my grandmother’s funeral, after the services, I made the trip to Tampa to record the singer of Dillinger Escape Plan... And only two days before (one day after she passed) I traveled to Orlando to record the bassist of Dillinger Escape Plan. It was hard for me to focus but I couldn’t lose the opportunity to have these two great musicians on Within The Mind. Their performances for Chuck’s memory transcend the difficult circumstances I recorded them under.

I also want to take a moment to express my sadness about the passing of Piggy. I have no words that haven’t already been spoken more eloquently than I can manage at this moment. I was given the first 2 albums as a gift and when number 3, Killing Technology, came out I was at the store the day it was released. Some months later I stood outside at Janis Landing in St. Petersburg to see the tour and buy the T-shirt. Piggy was, and is, an inspiration.

I’ll be in touch soon,

James M.

Rest In Peace,
Gertrude Lasada Wyrick Raulerson
Denis “Piggy” D’Amour

Damn James, sorry to hear about your Grandma's passing. May she rest in Peace. I lost both my grandma's in the past year, was incredibly hard to accept and deal with. Hope you're ok.

Great to hear the Death tribute's coming along, still can't fucking wait.

Got War and Pain on now for Piggy. (Only just got into Voivod this past week, then I find out Piggy's passed away)

RIP Piggy

sorry to hear about your loss james. you'll make it through and come out on top. i'm still looking forward tot he death tribute album. death has and probaly will alwyasy be my all time favorite band. and i've been with you since you announced this project. i even emailed you before telling you about how the guys from opeth, at least mikael and peter use to cover death songs when they first started playing, then a few days later teh drummer announced he was interested in doing something on it and now the whole band is gonna be on it i guess, pretty weird, but great. so many musicans on it, is it gonna be a double cd or what? anyways good luck, and we all cant wait but are patient enough too wait for such an amazing work.

yeah for real thats terrible but believe it or not shes in a better place now and looking down on you happy to see your still kicking and doing your thing. much respect for all you have done in your career and all you do in the future