Sort of curious discussion (IMO).

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
MEGADETH -- one of hard rock’s most revered acts -- will re-issue seven of their gold-selling albums July 27 on Capitol Records.
I found that in a metal website news section. Can we use hard rock to refer to Megadeth's music? I have notice lately that a lot of media use the tag for bands like Guns'N'Roses. I remember several years ago we use that tag for bands like Deep Purple, Scorpions, Black Sabbath (yes that Black Sabbath), Rainbow, Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, etc.

If you check Baron Rojo lyrics they used a lot the term heavy rock (I suppose a hybrid of hard rock and heavy metal).
icon_mrgreen.gif

The bottom line is, besides the fact or need (depending of your viewpoint) of all this complex tagging today to call a band X, Y or Z something, can we call Megadeth hard rock?
Will we ever going (like in Chemistry) to have a formal nomenclature system for bands?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Wyvern said:
The bottom line is, besides the fact or need (depending of your viewpoint) of all this complex tagging today to call a band X, Y or Z something, can we call Megadeth hard rock?
Will we ever going (like in Chemistry) to have a formal nomenclature system for bands?
icon_rolleyes.gif

I am a proud metal head and I love metal music, but sometimes chunking bands into a subgenre can be a bad thing. I suppose labeling is a necessary evil to a degree, but I think anyone labeling Megadeth as hard rock is either clueless or trying to be funny.

Bryant

Megadeth's music range from Heavy Metal to Thrash Metal to me... including crap Metal with Risk :D
Anyway, calling them "hard rock" is not such a problem IMO, as Metal is part of the "hard" rock world.

And I don't think "Heavy Rock" is an insult JD heh :p
Oh well, labels...

We used lable them as thrash or even speedmetal, when "so far so good so what" and " peace sells' were the only albums out. They are defenetly not hard rock!!

Fangface said:
And I don't think "Heavy Rock" is an insult JD heh :p
Oh well, labels...

hahahaha I dont know if I really worded that right but it stemmed from back in the early '90's when the Press had ruled Heavy Metal to be dead and the new term was Heavy Rock since then the term bothers me hahahaha Heavy Metal is the Term I really like to describe anyband weather it be Satyricon or Edguy or Megadeth or Slayer ya know its all Heavy Metal to me!

A lot of people say speed rock? to something, I don't know what they are referring to,
but you really got to get pissed off when they call slipknot thrash metal and testament hard rock in the same webpage-(yes it happened)

The saYer said:
A lot of people say speed rock? to something, I don't know what they are referring to,
but you really got to get pissed off when they call slipknot thrash metal and testament hard rock in the same webpage-(yes it happened)
Can we flame the site? :mad:

The saYer said:
Oh my, they can´t be serious with those descriptions, can they ? Maybe it was a joke, at least I hope it is. lol

There are always going to be igorant piss ants around. The best you can do is ignore them and seek out something or someone you can have fun with. Fools trive on attention. Fuck 'em.

Hawk said:
There are always going to be igorant piss ants around. The best you can do is ignore them and seek out something or someone you can have fun with. Fools trive on attention. Fuck 'em.
Ha ha ha great post Hawk. I have enough shit to piss me off at work (as I am sure you do as well dealing with teens everyday) on a daily basis. If someone sticks a straw hat on a pix of Dave Mustaine and calls him Country I don't think it would bother me. I might kill someone if they dis Wolf Hoffmann but other than that I am cool j/k. :loco:

bryant

Hawk said:
Right on, Hawk ! Ignorant people who choose to be that way are funny sometimes too.

Hawk said:
Yea stupid people can be entertaining! What would we do without them ;)
We´d be bored OR have to spend the time watching drunkards at Metal shows. :D I suppose people probably watch me at festivals and wonder if I even remember the show afterwards. :lol:

Fangface said:
You thought that was stupid?

Ok now read this, comments welcomed :p
http://www27.brinkster.com/sneezus/death_metal.htm
o_O :loco: :lol: Oh my, that IS hilarious !