sound design of drums

Mar 1, 2009
France
www.myspace.com
Hi everybody,
I'm recording/producing my first professionnal record and try to get the best drum sound possible.
I'm happy with SSD 3.5, but feel the lack of something that eq'ing, comp ect can't bring back. So i'm learning the "sound design of drums", layering 2/3 kicks samples, same for snares, etc...
In fact, I try to make the same kind of drum designing as in electro/hiphop/... with tr808/909 and other machines, but in a "metal way".

Does someone actually tried this, and what other samples library do you use? (evil drums? other SDX? ocean way drums? other?)

I only have the SSD3.5 and cannot record real drums in good room with a good drummer...

thank you!

That's what i'm doing, but I just hesitate to buy new samples that may complement the ssd ones, cause they all have the same "signature sound".

I think I've read somewhere that Emrz did it on some of his record.

Are you here Ermz?
What are your favorite samples library to do this?

I do this often, rarely find one kick or sample that works perfectly for me. I layer the samples and then hack them with EQ to get the parts I like, then bus them together and process them further from there as needed.

ok, thanks!

How many samples are you layering for a kick for example?
one for the sub, one for "normal area" and one for the clik? maybe one more for a woody tone?

For the sub, when it comes to speed (blast) part, do you cut it do something else?
I have no clue how to get a clean sub kick in metal.
(for electro i fade in/out and let a sub last a little bit more than the "middle" kick sound.)

Do you keep the snare mono?