Sounds of the Underground -- Atlanta

Pellaz

Tigron of Immanion
Feb 12, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.paulcashman.com
I just found out that this festival tour will be coming to Atlanta, at Hi-Fi Buys Amphitheater, on July 12th. Can't wait! :headbang:

Bands on this tour include:

Clutch
Poison the Well
Opeth
Earth
From Autumn To Ashes
Chimaira
GWAR
Every Time I Die
Norma Jean
Strapping Young Lad
Throwdown
High On Fire
Madball
Terror
Devil Driver
A Life Once Lost
All That Remains
The Red Chord
Fear Before the March of Flames

...with the headliner (reportedly Lamb of God) to be announced May 2nd.

I don't care much for the nu-core bands on the bill, but Opeth, SYL and GWAR caught my eye (Clutch also, a bit) and tickets are apparently pretty cheap.

Here's the site for the tour: http://www.soundsoftheundergroundtour.com/

Gonna be a BUSY summer! :tickled: :Spin:

I'm not sure about this. Opeth and SYL are nice, although I'm seeing SYL in a month anyway. Atlanta tickets are only $21, so that's a great deal.....if I did decide to go.

And GWAR is only doing like a halftime show, not actually doing a set. I'm sure that will still be entertaining, though.

I'd be curious to see the set-times and such. If Opeth gets a whole half-hour, that's like, what? 2.112 songs? :)

Give the nu-core bands about 15 minutes each (i.e., time for about 7 songs apiece) and make them share a drumkit or something so they have 5- or 10-minute set-changes in between, and hopefully that'll allow enough time for the bands I actually care about on the bill to have decent length sets. :D

edgeofthorns said:
Sorry, but that fest doesn't interest me in the least! Gwar? Why does anyone like this band?

If you really asking that question without making a joke, then you dont deserve an answer for that. a few good bands but not worth while. new england metal and hardcore festival is where you need to be!!!

Opeth and SYL are definitely enough to get me to this fest. Gwar will be a very entertaining little bonus. I'll be going to the NJ show. I don't like the other bands, but maybe they'll surprise me!

I thought Lamb of God was on the bill as a normal band, and the headliner was still unannounced. Was I misinformed?

LOCALX said:
If you really asking that question without making a joke, then you dont deserve an answer for that. a few good bands but not worth while. new england metal and hardcore festival is where you need to be!!!

Huh? No, I'm not kidding! I asked a question, yet I don't deserve an answer....................ok o_O

AngraRULES said:
I have to agree with LOCALX.... Sorry

Isn't Gwar the band that Beavis and Butthead use to sit around and make fun of? Gwar was suppose to come play a small club here in Tennessee, believe it or not, but something happened and the band punked out on the club. The rest of us didn't feel like we suffered a great loss though!

Isn't Gwar the band that Beavis and Butthead use to sit around and make fun of?

ummm... They made fun of EVERY band that they saw on their TV. I saw a Death video on Bevis and Butthead the other day. That was cool. They made fun of it... but it was cool.

edgeofthorns said:
Sorry, but that fest doesn't interest me in the least! Gwar? Why does anyone like this band?
I have to agree with eot here, not one band on this bill I would walk across the street to see. Oh, and Gwar...give a huge fuckin' break.

Yeah... Just because Beavis and Butt Head made fun of it it doesnt necessarily means it's bad...

Gwar is entertaining to say the least... Who said that having a little bit (a little big bit) of humor couldn't be metal? =P

Their stage show is also the best, so they'll do a great job since that's what they're there for.

Edit: In addition to the whole shooting blood and green stuff into the audience.....well, colored water. But it's still cool.

edgeofthorns said:
Isn't Gwar the band that Beavis and Butthead use to sit around and make fun of?

I'm sure those ultra-cerebral critics of rock and metal would have had a field day with, e.g., Rhapsody or Manowar, too. :Smug:

Hmmm, in some ways B&B disliking a band could, in some circles, be an ultimate seal of quality. :tickled:

When my old friends' band's video* was played on Beavis and Butthead, their CD sales always jumped by 700 units or so the following week. It was kinda eerie.

-=-=-=-
* "Locked" by Mutha's Day Out

Gwar's music may not be top notch, but you have to give it up for a great show. Metal doesnt have to be serious, they know it is somewhat of a joke and so should you. I mean what about type o there lyrics are absolutely ridiculous for the most part, or what about the video that they were gonna have for Life is Killing Me, Peter with a big straw walking around blowing a never ending line of coke and at the end falling into a grave. HAHAHAHa rigoddamndiculous.

Sure, GWAR are not the most complicated metal out there, but it's fun stuff and they're nice people; I've known some of 'em for several years. Also, consider the physical challenges of playing while wearing those hot, bulky costumes....

I'm giving you all a hard time about the Beavis and Butthead thing! I heard that they even made fun of Dream Theater one time.......now they shouldn't go there!!! Anyway, Gwar was destined for Johnson City a couple of months ago, but like I said something happened. A guy that manages a new/used CD store here said that there is some girl that tours with the band that takes shock treatment! Is that true? Anyway, he said that she's in the book of world records or something! Enlighten me on that one.