Southern metal

vgmaster9

Jun 30, 2012
What's your opinion on southern metal? Do you think it's gonna be the next big subgenre for metalheads? What southern metal bands do you like?

The scene-core thing hasn't died yet? I haven't paid enough attention. I think some of the scene-core guys started using pentatonic scales (I used to play shows with some sceney ass bands a few years back) and said that it was Southern Metal. I'm not sure though if that's what he's referring too though. Regardless, it's probably gay shit.

Acid Bath is all you need:

Eyehategod works too :p

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's the case then why hasn't scene-core died out already?

Just out of curiosity, which "scene-core" do you mean? The early-2000s metalcore a la Killswitch Engage and God Forbid, the mid-2000s deathcore of JfaC and Whitechapel, or the hipster-core of Black Veil Brides that we have now? Because they're vastly different sounds, and all part of the general evolution over time of music that appeals to disaffected teenagers that goes all the way back to Manson, Smashing Pumpkins, and Nine Inch Nails.

This thing already reached its peak in the mid-to-late 90's. The first two 90's Corrosion of Conformity albums should not be neglected either, nor should Buzz*Oven (although I find the latter pretty hard to listen to myself tbh). Lower-tier for the style, but Stressball is pretty enjoyable too, although heavy on the groove/thrash side of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uGVNY1kaI

Buzzov*en's "Sore" is required listening for any self-respecting metalhead. You may not love it, but at some point you gotta listen to it.

I used to live near New Orleans, LA. Bands I seen the past few years were:
Hawg Jaw, Ritual Killer, Outlaw Order, Southern Whiskey Rebellion, Soilent Green, Crowbar, Eyehategod, Down, Goatwhore, Valume Knob, HAARP, Dusk the Rapist.

Add to the list: Sourvein, Weedeater, and Black Tusk.

I LOVE Weedeater. I also love Crowbar. When are THEY going to put out a new album?

Other mentionable bands: Kylesa, Rwake and Baroness though I believe these three (especially Kylesa at this point) have somewhat diverted their sound from metal.

Baroness's last album was something I really liked. (My yellow and green lps are gorgeous too) But no its not really metal any more.

Also, we are all obviously confused as fuck when it comes to stoner/sludge. Acid bath and Eyehategod are personal favorites. When the kite string pops is fucking fucking fucked.