Southern metal: Does it exist?

vgmaster9

Jun 30, 2012
On many pages that have big lists of metal genres, they never show southern metal. Hell, they'd rather show Viking metal instead. Is southern metal even a legit metal genre or is it just a term for groove and sludge metal bands with southern rock influences?

traditional
power
progressive
black
death
doom
thrash

thats it. nothing else exists. no cascadian black metal, no norman metal, no doomgaze, no lilting tree metal, no baroque n roll, no polkacore, no burmese technogrind, no nintendodjent. only the above. please stop this. stop this madness.

traditional
power
progressive
black
death
doom
thrash

thats it. nothing else exists. no cascadian black metal, no norman metal, no doomgaze, no lilting tree metal, no baroque n roll, no polkacore, no burmese technogrind, no nintendodjent. only the above. please stop this. stop this madness.

Sludge Metal is definitely a thing.

traditional
power
progressive
black
death
doom
thrash

This. I cry a little inside everytime there's a new fucking thread, post, review, article, ad nauseum, that says some ridiculous thing about what niche sub-sub-genre a band is. I refrain from outward violence every time I see 3 or 4 posts discussing whether a band is god damned melo-tech-death or more melodic-black-thrash. God damn it, kill this sick pseudo-hipster trend that is exact specifications of what-unnecessarily titled-genre a band is. The above is all that's needed, and it's still almost too many. Fuck, I hate people.

All of you. I hate you.

Seriously though. Stop.

I don't see how "southern metal" is that offensive of a classification at all. Its not really a genre so much as an umbrella term anyways.

The whole reason for having genres is too help classify and group together music/musicians. If I want some recs for melodeath bands like Kalmah and early In Flames, I'm not going to appreciate somebody saying Gorguts, Belphegor, or Prostitute Disfigurement, because those bands aren't what I'm looking for. Not all Death Metal is the same, so having subgenres makes sense. You don't need to get all faggy with things like "Atmospheric Technical Dancecore" or whatever the fuck, but simple subgenres like "Blackened Death Metal" or "Brutal Death Metal" are necessary.

You don't need to get all faggy with things like "Atmospheric Technical Dancecore" or whatever the fuck, but simple subgenres like "Blackened Death Metal" or "Brutal Death Metal" are necessary.

Agreed. Sometimes I want a specific kind of death metal. It's better to be specific than to say "gimme death metal" and hope for the best. "Thrashy, technical death metal" nothing wrong with terms like that. Definitely "Melodic death metal" is a thing, etc.

traditional
power
progressive
black
death
doom
thrash

This 'madness' you speak of is a strawman concept you've created, since I've never heard any of those terms used except for 'cascadian black metal.' Your proposal of reducing everything to those aforementioned seven genres is reactionary and unworkable. Besides, you could've gotten rid of progressive to pare it down further, as any so-called 'progressive' metal can be classified as one of those other six.

The whole reason for having genres is too help classify and group together music/musicians. If I want some recs for melodeath bands like Kalmah and early In Flames, I'm not going to appreciate somebody saying Gorguts, Belphegor, or Prostitute Disfigurement, because those bands aren't what I'm looking for. Not all Death Metal is the same, so having subgenres makes sense. You don't need to get all faggy with things like "Atmospheric Technical Dancecore" or whatever the fuck, but simple subgenres like "Blackened Death Metal" or "Brutal Death Metal" are necessary.

Agreed. Making a distinction between melodic death and brutal death or between epic doom and funeral doom is not anything like having absurd labels like 'burmese technogrind.'

I've been saying this exact point for years. Near verbatim too.

I agree. I really don't understand how someone could seriously just lump bands like the ones you named under one genre.

The Metal

thats it. nothing else exists. no black metal, no death metal, no doom, no thrash metal, no progressive metal, etc. only the above. please stop this. stop this madness.

traditional
power
progressive
black
death
doom
thrash

You forgot gothic metal, folk metal, and industrial metal.

You say guys - plural - yet divine_torture is just one guy. He's the serious one in this thread.

tbf by far the most serious sentence posted in this thread was:

"This 'madness' you speak of is a strawman concept you've created, since I've never heard any of those terms used except for 'cascadian black metal.'"