Southern metal: Does it exist?

Not more serious than:

"Seriously though. Stop."

Saying "you guys are taking this way too seriously" after the fact is like saying "jokes on them I was only pretending." Shame on me for assuming you were expressing your opinion in earnest, am I right?

traditional
power
progressive
black
death
doom
thrash

thats it. nothing else exists. no cascadian black metal, no norman metal, no doomgaze, no lilting tree metal, no baroque n roll, no polkacore, no burmese technogrind, no nintendodjent. only the above. please stop this. stop this madness.

For once, you have made a valid post. Nice work.

I, too, and sick to death of the made up subgenres that appear, it seems, far too frequently.

Hardcore genres/subs are the worst.

I don't see how "southern metal" is that offensive of a classification at all. Its not really a genre so much as an umbrella term anyways.

Butt, it's not offensive it's just that it's so unfuckingnecessary. I mean with that comes Northern metal, western metal, pacific coast metal. Mississippi delta metal. Geographical locations are not genres in any way, shape or form.

If one wants to say 'bands from the south' that's fine. But nothing else can be granted. But you agree with me anyway so that's that.

Even though I don't think enough bands exist to warrant that 'genre' being a thing, it'd be awful convenient in my insatiable hunt for metal with a strong old western ennio morricone angle.

Butt, it's not offensive it's just that it's so unfuckingnecessary. I mean with that comes Northern metal, western metal, pacific coast metal. Mississippi delta metal. Geographical locations are not genres in any way, shape or form.

If one wants to say 'bands from the south' that's fine. But nothing else can be granted. But you agree with me anyway so that's that.

Herein lies your stupidity, southern in that context doesnt mean what you think it does. Its referring to southern rock influence, which is actually a thing, unlike all this garbage youve posted. Its like people that think post metal is an offensive term. YOU MEAN METAL IS OVER? No you twat...

Herein lies your stupidity, southern in that context doesnt mean what you think it does. Its referring to southern rock influence, which is actually a thing, unlike all this garbage youve posted. Its like people that think post metal is an offensive term. YOU MEAN METAL IS OVER? No you twat...

:lol: but really no way there's people who think that.

I wish I had a little cousin into metal or something so I could educate them. I want a musical pupil whose knowledge is exclusively what they've heard on the radio, but who is open to whatever I wanna push on them.

I don't see anything wrong with sub-sub-genres and hyper-detailed classification as long as it makes sense. The problem with "blackgaze", for example, isn't the term itself as much as it is that music describable by it actually exists.

You're a fucking narrow-minded prick.

People are free to like whatever they want, but if you genuinely think that any of the shitty black metal/non-metal fusion sub-genres out there are listenable, you have no standards.

People are free to like whatever they want, but if you genuinely think that any of the shitty black metal/non-metal fusion sub-genres out there are listenable, you have no standards.

Yeah strongly disagreed on that, fusions are fun and it's a way of manipulating the music to further and further ends. I'm 100% FOR experimenting, and if it doesn't sound like total shit, I'd say it's worth it for more bands to pursue a deeper understanding of what's required to make that fusion sound amazing.

It's also a way for someone who can't often traverse beyond the comfort zone of that distinctly 'metal' sound to explore fringe genres, and eventually, different genres entirely.

I don't see anything wrong with sub-sub-genres and hyper-detailed classification as long as it makes sense. The problem with "blackgaze", for example, isn't the term itself as much as it is that music describable by it actually exists.

Well I think a better description for it would be "post-black", and the band Fen is an example of that style (though I've heard only one song by them so I don't really have much of an opinion on them). But yeah, having more valid sub-subgenres is good to expand metal, as long as it has a consistent sound.

"Cyber metal" bands are types of industrial metal bands that are very synth heavy, such as Sybreed, Neurotech, and Logical Terror.

Do you have any form of autism? Just curious. Because all signs point to yes.

Maybe high-functioning Aspergers?

Yeah strongly disagreed on that, fusions are fun and it's a way of manipulating the music to further and further ends. I'm 100% FOR experimenting, and if it doesn't sound like total shit, I'd say it's worth it for more bands to pursue a deeper understanding of what's required to make that fusion sound amazing.

It's also a way for someone who can't often traverse beyond the comfort zone of that distinctly 'metal' sound to explore fringe genres, and eventually, different genres entirely.

There's experimentation, then there's what is effectively alternative black metal, superficial non-metal elements or segments thrown inappropriately together with blast beats or black metal shrieks. FWIW even though I called blackgaze out, I consider Sunbather to at least be a decent compromise compared to some of the other stuff out there.

Well I think a better description for it would be "post-black", and the band Fen is an example of that style (though I've heard only one song by them so I don't really have much of an opinion on them). But yeah, having more valid sub-subgenres is good to expand metal, as long as it has a consistent sound.

"Cyber metal" bands are types of industrial metal bands that are very synth heavy, such as Sybreed, Neurotech, and Logical Terror.

I've never actually listened to Fen afaik. "Cyber metal" would be a great example of genre blending at its worst although I'm only vaguely familiar with Sybreed; I think more along the lines of Blood Stain Child when I think of the term, dancy electronic melodies and vocoder vox mixed with screams and breakdowns.

Do you have any form of autism? Just curious. Because all signs point to yes.

Maybe high-functioning Aspergers?

fwiw my parents used to affectionately joke about me being their autistic son, so sometimes I wonder if I do have a mild undiagnosed form of it. Varg considers autism to be the next step in human evolution, so that means you should too.

There's experimentation, then there's what is effectively alternative black metal, superficial non-metal elements or segments thrown inappropriately together with blast beats or black metal shrieks. FWIW even though I called blackgaze out, I consider Sunbather to at least be a decent compromise compared to some of the other stuff out there.

I hear what you're saying I think, you basically only approve of genre fusions that utilize the deeper aspect of different sounds specific to a genre on a technical level, an actual 'fusing', rather than immediately identifiable and individual sounds of individual genres placed alongside one another. And that's cool and all, it is more impressive than the latter, but that juxtaposition works out really fuckin well sometimes.

HamburgerBoy said:
fwiw my parents used to affectionately joke about me being their autistic son, so sometimes I wonder if I do have a mild undiagnosed form of it. Varg considers autism to be the next step in human evolution, so that means you should too.

No. I do not consider a mental defect to be "the next step in human evolution". Not that I've heard Varg say this, but even if he has, I couldn't care less about an artists views. Art transcends its creators.

My point is that you have serious fucking problems, bro.