Speaker Cabs: What are you using?

booyah14

Dec 1, 2005
I've seen lots of posts about the actual speakers you guys are using but what cabs are you throwing them in? I've been checking out mesa cabs but I'm really trying not to spend that much. I know a while back a lot of people were really hyping the avatar cabs. Anybody have any good reviews of these? Not that expensive so I would love for this to be an option.

I've heard nothing but great reviews for these and a friend of mine bought one years ago when they were first starting to get hot in the market. It reminds me of a Carvin Legacy cab, a lot. Not just the looks, but the sound. Has the same kind of resonance and whatnot...I like it. It seems to be a great overall cab, usable for everything you throw on top of it. Can't beat the price, for sure. Check out www.harmonycentral.com for reviews...you'll find TONS there. Hope I helped.

~006

4c9e9b76.jpg

68638.jpg

Loaded with 4 Electroharmonix 12br8 (discontinued eminence/ V30 copy).
Sounds great and unique.

Disconnekt said:
How would you compare the sound of the V30 Recto cab with the Marshall, and would it be possible to post clips?

Close mic'd, they're really similar.

I don't have any clips that would be of any use. I don't have any clips of the same part being played through the same amp, with just the cabs being different.

If you want the V30 sound, either will be fine, the minor differences in the cab can easily be compensated by minor adjustments on the amp.

Matt Crooks said:
Close mic'd, they're really similar.

I don't have any clips that would be of any use. I don't have any clips of the same part being played through the same amp, with just the cabs being different.

If you want the V30 sound, either will be fine, the minor differences in the cab can easily be compensated by minor adjustments on the amp.

That's cool. I just asked because I remembered the dramatic differences between the Traditional Recto and Standard Recto when Matt Smith posted the shootout a while back. However, I'm thinking more and more that that was probably a matter of speakers being broken in vs. not broken in, since I've noticed several differences between the nearly new V30 vs. the well-used V30 in my 5150 combo. The well-used one sounds much smoother and better.

Rivera K412T, V30's on top, Eminence V12's on bottom. I'm going to be replacing the Eminences with G12T75's, and sticking them in an X pattern, when I get the cash. My new G-major/rack sucked up most of my xmas funds.

Marshall 1960 Lead (75 watt Celestions)
Marshall 1960 Vintage (Vintage 30s)
stack2.jpg

Celestion demo cab fitted with Greenbacks
stack.jpg

Hand made dual 2X12's with 100 watt & 85 watt celstions, respectively.
DSC00013.JPG

They're on top of the greenback cab... sorry for the last shot, it's the only one I have on file that's readily available.

Choice is good!

-0z-

to my ears V30s sound harsh on the high end

I prefer greenbacks cause to me they have a more aggresive/raw character to them.

If you dial in your amp good with them you will have some mean tone.