Speaker Cabs: What are you using?

So for the money would you say it would be worth it to go ahead and get an avatar cab or something similar to that quality or go ahead and blow the extra money and just get a mesa cab. I definitely think I'm leaning towards the 2 x 12 style so that it's cheaper and I can always add on later.

The reason I'm asking is because I just bought a single rectifier on ebay and if I bought a new cab it would cost more than the head itself which seems pretty extreme. Let me know what you guys think. I did think about looking at Marshall cabs at the ONLY music store around me but they didn't seem as heavy as the mesa cabs did so I think that design or whatever just fits what I like better.

I got my 5150 Straight cab for $150.....took out 2 of the speakers and replaced with v30's.

Best decisions ever, recording wise for guitars.

I thinking about trying two more speakers to replace the others.....just not sure which yet!

Maybe the new Lightweight Neo Magnet Century V30's ?!?!

I have a Mesa Recto std cab, too. I like the bigger dimensions and bigger bass response. At first I thought the high end was too harsh, but once I got my 9th gen. Chinese 12AX7's, the whole amp sounded sooo much better and that translated extremely well to the Mesa cab. I still feel like the high mids can get too strong, a testament to the 6505+'s tone as much as the Vintage 30's. But, at normal gig/recording levels, the tone of the amp plus the V30 loaded Mesa really sounds nice. When I first got my 6505+, I had planned on going the V30/G12T75 X pattern route, but the Mesa standard cab on it's own sounds vicious.

FWIW, I bought mine dead mint from some stoner who was living with his mom for 375. Best deal I've ever gotten on a piece of gear. I see them go locally for 450-600, usually hovering in the 500-550 range.

Currently, a Marshall 1960AV. Stock Marshall cab with Vintage 30s. I'd love to get one of the Mesa Road King cabs for my Mark IV, though.

Exocaster said:
Currently, a Marshall 1960AV. Stock Marshall cab with Vintage 30s. I'd love to get one of the Mesa Road King cabs for my Mark IV, though.
how are you liking that 1960AV? I'm currently debating between the 1960A and 1960AV. if memory serves me correctly the 1960a has tighter bottom end but the 1960av has a warmer smoother sound overall. have you compared the two by chance?

orange 2x12 and 4x12 both with vintage 30s standard. Now those things are pretty special, put ANY amp on top and it sounds raw n tight, one of the best cabs i've used with high gain amps actually! :confused:

Carrier Flux said:
how are you liking that 1960AV? I'm currently debating between the 1960A and 1960AV. if memory serves me correctly the 1960a has tighter bottom end but the 1960av has a warmer smoother sound overall. have you compared the two by chance?

I've run a number of heads through the AV in the past few years, and it's performed well with all of them.

Compared to the 1960A, it definitely has a warmer, darker sound. The 1960A has more top and bottom end- I'm not sure if it's necessarily tighter, but it's certainly more prominent. The AV is more focused and midrangey, though the A isn't as scooped as it's often made out to be. I've used the A at shows with a provided backline, just brought one of my heads, and I was able to get some surprisingly smooth tones out of it. It's not a bad match for current Marshalls or a 5150/5150 II. I think they're too bright for older Marshalls, though. I had a '76 JMP for a while, and that had ludicrous treble. I gigged with the treble and presence on 0. Great mids and super-tight bottom end, though.

I do prefer the AV, but I tend toward darker, midrangey tones, so the Vintage 30s are ideal. I don't find their mid spike harsh at all. It's ideal for what I need. I tune down pretty low to begin with- C# standard/drop B- so the comparative lack of bottom (not that the Vintage 30s can't throw down, 'cause they can.) really isn't a disadvantage.

Kry said:
orange 2x12 and 4x12 both with vintage 30s standard. Now those things are pretty special, put ANY amp on top and it sounds raw n tight, one of the best cabs i've used with high gain amps actually! :confused:
hey bro, how's the low end compare between those two cabs? I realized I can get an orange 2x12 for about the same price (or even a little less) than a marshall 1960a.

I would only be using the cab for recording.

So I have one main concern here. is the orange 2x12 as tight in the low end as the 4x12?

Carrier Flux, why being so concerned about v30's low end? Do you find Andy's guitar sound flabby? I'm sure you don't...;)

~BURNY~ said:
Carrier Flux, why being so concerned about v30's low end? Do you find Andy's guitar sound flabby? I'm sure you don't...;)
andy's guitars sound great. but andy isn't using the same rig in the same environment I am. and I'm having a load of problems with my bottom end (so to speak).

Carrier Flux said:
The 1960 A is the standard angled cab, with 4 75watt celestions. The 1960av is the one with the Vintage 30s. Go for the 1960av.

-0z-

Carrier Flux - Check your msgs, reply sent.

Orange cabs r teh pwn3ge!!11!one!11 ;)

I'm also really interested about the differences for recording between the orange 2x12 & 4x12...
Right now I record the guitar tracks at home and then I reamp in my rehearsal room (through a Marschall 1960 AV). A 2x12 with V30 would allow me to record directly at home!
Any comparison?

dimi.jpg

:D

using a splawn 4x12 with two eminence governers, and two manowars

liverig.JPG

also a marshall 1960a with two goveners, one manowar, and one gt75 (soon i'm having the cab modded with a real plywood back, better wiring, and metal handles)

marshall.jpg

and eventually i want to get a mesa 2x12 cab, strictly for studio use...as of now, both my cabs get hauled around for live shows quite a bit (altho the splawn, being the better sounding of the two has been spending more time @ home for recording lately)