Speakers for downtuned (extreme) metal

Maybe try one of the high gain AMT pedals with the amp you have now instead. Certainly would be cheaper than buying a new amp.

I guess it depends a lot on whether you want a tube or solid state amp.

Of course it depends, but given the fact that my budget is somehow low and that I will be using a cheap-ish processor, I think a SS would do fine. Moreover, in extreme metal, it could be tighter and punchier at low volumes and low prices. I'd love a tube amp, but I'm afraid I can't afford a good one...

Dunno about US prices but you might be able to bag a 6505 1x12 combo for less than $400. If you have any dollah left over it'd be worth swapping the speaker out for a V30 or similar.

No, unfortunately not. In Romania, a 6505+ retails at around $700, at least... Used it would not drop by much, so it's really not an option...

Maybe try one of the high gain AMT pedals with the amp you have now instead. Certainly would be cheaper than buying a new amp.

Nah, don't think so. I recently tried an MXR Dime Distortion with my amp and it still sucked... I need at least a 1x12 speaker, but I'd really love a 2x12 cab.

I'll hit the shops and try as many as I can, but so far, the Ibanez TBX head and a Bugera 2x12 cab seems like a great idea.

Any other comments are welcome, I am by no means decided.

I meant the AMT Legend series of preamp pedals. Maybe the P1 or E1 pedal might be a good choice for you.

I meant the AMT Legend series of preamp pedals. Maybe the P1 or E1 pedal might be a good choice for you.
Yea, the dime distortion pedal (and most distortion pedals that are "popular" usually suck dick) the AMT pedals are actually better than any modelling amp I've ever played as well as the 6505+ and valveking mentioned IMO. If your into brutal metal the amptweaker tight metal is beast (it is made by the guy who designed the 6505 and triple XXX)

Thank you all for your answers. But, unfortunately, I am extremely limited because of the fact that in Romania there are only a few guitar shops and their stocks are not very varied. So, although Thomann has some AMT pedals, I wouldn't like to buy any without prior tests.

That's why I proposed the Ibanez TBX head initially and now I saw that they also have the Crate Powerblock 150W head. So, for SS heads, this is almost it, I mean they don't sell any other in Romania (at least not in my price range...).

As for speakers, I really want some 2x12" and although I'd love the V30, I wouldn't afford them now. Perhaps I'll buy a cheap-ish cab and swap the speakers when I'll have the money. For the moment, the Bugera 212V and the Blackstar HT 212 cabs are (probably) the best options.

But again, I will not buy anything without testing, even if it's only a stomp.

I'd go with the Ibanez head then and look for a decent 2X12 cab.

OK, thanks. I'm somewhat driven/attracted to this option too. I read very interesting positive reviews about it lately.

I'll be testing the hell out of anything I put my hands on, anyway :)

Thank you.

It is a valid option, but for my ears, 2 V30s are the best. I heard several options and i like the tone of the V30s best with high gain. But, again, I'll be testing everything :) I reached the conclusion that what's best to my ears is the real deal, not the sheets of specs or reviews.

I'll tell you when I made my mind, next week I'll hit the stores. Until then, your comments are still welcomed.