Monitors vs PA speakers?

My dedicated recording rig is not dual boot, but uses two hardrives, one for windows and music siftware, the other for music to be stored.

About attaching things to your PC, the solutions are often as costly or more so than your PC was. MOTU makes a unit callet the 896, great entry level interface. There is also the Tascam FW-1884, I use one, sold a 24 chnnel Mackie board, a Mackie control with two expanders, a Motu HD192 and a Motu 2408 MK 3, a Presonus M80, a Presonus ACP88 and a few misc items and replaced the ALL with just a Tascam FW-1884. It is an amazing little unit. Yes, it will do 5.1 surround.

Wow you sure aren't kidding with the cost, hehe. Well I suppose when you step up, you'd better be prepared to dish out. Thanks for all the gear suggestions. Searching for the Behringer Truth led me to some review sites that consequently let me to other monitors etc.

Yeah, me too, hehe.

Another newbie question. How does the audio interface(soundcard) normally connect to the mixer, which connects up the monitors? Are the connections needed for this a set standard throughout all/most mixer models? What sort of cables are normally used for this too?

To get an idea of the chain would be nice.... like

Soundcard > Speaker out > Mixer track in etc. etc.

Several options, depending on the card. Lightpipe (ADAT) will allow 8 in/out. I use a Firewire interface, my machine has no actual soundcard, the FW-1884 I am using acts as one, just one firwire cable and I got 18 I/O. All the Motu stuff I mentioned uses firewire or their proprietary Audiowire (which requires a PCI card). The big advantage of firewire is that if you have multiple machines, you can just plug your rig into whichever one you are using, ie laptop, desktop, buddies computer, etc.....

a basic signal chain would be:
Soundcard Line Out -> Mixer Line In -> Mixer Line Out -> Amplifier -> Speaker

If you just need a basic setup and get started with I wouldn't care much about
cables. Just keep em as short as possible and away from magnetic things like
monitors (CRTs), computers, TV.

Cool, thanks alot guys. I was just wondering about the firewire thing, because I don't think I'll have the cash to afford a digital mixer on top of the monitors. So it'll probably be an analogue run all the way, much as 2dark showed there.

One thing that gets me is in that chain you pointed out 2dark. Is there a master mixer line-in? Or would I be lining-into one of the tracks, and if so, how do you know which is the right/left speaker in the stereo image? Sorry for the real stupid questions guys, but this isn't my forte, haha.

Moonlapse said:
One thing that gets me is in that chain you pointed out 2dark. Is there a master mixer line-in? Or would I be lining-into one of the tracks, and if so, how do you know which is the right/left speaker in the stereo image? Sorry for the real stupid questions guys, but this isn't my forte, haha.

When coming out of the soundcard you got a stereo signal. Which means
you need either a stereo input on the mixer or 2 mono inputs (panning one to
the left and the other to the right).
And you get that on every mixer (well ok, a Neve or SSL doesn't have
dedicated stereo inputs, but we're talking about mixers not consoles :p )
To test if all your cables are plugged in correct for the left and right signal
just play an mp3 file with winamp for example and use the pan slider and
listen what happens when you pan to the right or left.

Color codes on the most cables you are going to use are red = left, black or white = right.
But I wound't bet on that.

Please break it down for an audio newbie.

Why is the former generally more expensive than the latter when it's smaller etc. Which one is more advantageous for which purposes?

A friend of mine was thinking of getting a mixer set-up in his room with monitors so he could have jams with people easier... he found the monitors to be insanely expensive and went in favour of the PA speakers instead. I'm struggling to understand why the monitors cost so much more. Is the sound more articulated through them... do they have a wider frequency response???

Hi,
I was curious as to whether pa speakers could be used as strictly home audio speakers period. Not for mixing, or any studio work. Just as a set of amplified home speakers to run into my boombox. I do it with computer speakers. I do it with near sound monitors. So if I run pa speakers into my boombox will it sound as good as either of th eother types? I see many have very high amp. ratings so I wonder if this might blow out a small music system? I also wonder about how people are saying these pa amplified speakers tend to accentuate bass. Is this the case on all? I am specifically looking for a natural sound (similar to monitors) but with less bass and an accentuation of highs. I usually do that with eq's on my speakers, etc. But i do not want anything that is going to be bass heavy even after I turn bass down to nothing with an eq. I want a pretty flat sound with very high frequencies high in the mix. Call it tinny. Call it trebly. Call it harsh. Call it bright. That is what I like, I am an audiophile. I don't want anything else. So will pa amplified speakers give me the sound I desire? Which brand/model will do so and also have the eq on it. And will they put out a better sound (to my needs) than an amplified 'studio monitor' that I am already used to having. I have behringer, numark, and alesis monitors at home btw. And my price range will not exceed $300 for a pair of speakers. I want 2 obviously, not this single speaker crap I see.
thanks
s

All I have to say is out of ALL the PA speakers I've heard (which is a LOT, work at an independent music store) the QSC stuff still sounds the best to me.

They get fucking LOUD but I'd LOVE to get like two K12 and a K-Sub and just blast the FUCK out of my favorite records...