Speakers to go with Eminence "The Governer" in a 4x12cab

ProjectHamsterdam

God of Emptiness
Nov 12, 2007
Bulgaria
Has anyone tried those for high gain modern metal?

I have actually already mail ordered two Eminence The Governor speakers, they are in the mail and should be arriving in a couple of weeks max. I heard them in Splawn cabs and liked them so much... seriously sweet mids and smooth top end. The lows are kinda tight, but not lacking at all.

I plan to load them in an X pattern with two other speakers, but I haven't yet decided what brand/model the other two should be.

Splawn recommends Eminence Man O Wars in an X pattern with the Governors for their cabs. The problem is I can't find any dealer that carries Man O War's in Europe. Thomann.de certainly doesn't have them.

When my mail order gets here, I will try one of the Governors in parallel with a spare Celestion Vintage 30 that I have lying around. (both at 8Ohm each, to produce 4Ohms total, something like this):

wirpara2.gif

If I like the combination I will just buy another Vintage30, connect the 4 speakers in series/parallel for 8Ohm total, then be a happy camper. If not, what then?

I'm looking for something bassy to complement the Governors. . . The Governors will bring those sweet mids and the other 2 speakers should bring the chest-thumping lows. . .

Ah, also my cabs dimensions are:
Hight: 30'
Width:32'
Depth: 15' bottom/11.5' top
Closed back of course.

Sorry for the novel. I get kinda long-winded sometimes. :lol:What do you think will work?

Could you post some clips of the Governor and the V30's once you get them installed? I'm curious to hear them how they sound side by side. Honestly for some seriously good lows, look into some Electro Voice speakers, they've got some seriously sick low end, but they are really heavy because of the large magnets.

Of course. It will be the first thing I'll do after getting the parcel. I am also quite curious to see how they perform.

The Electro Voice Black Labels are sick, I know, but the price tag of 245 EUR for a single speaker is much more than I can afford or would sanely spend for a speaker. :lol:

Eminence make nice speakers (I hear they are still made in the USA, don't know if it is true) and for a price of 60-70 EUR apiece who could resist?

I have limited my options to the following choices:

1.) The Celestion Vintage 30

Pros: Resonance frequency of 75Hz, good range, classic, well-known sound. Should mix well with the Governor's 101Hz resonance frequency so both speaker should add something different. But I won't know until I have tried it.

Cons: The Vintage 30 (100db sensitivity) will be 2db quieter than the Governor (102db). I don't know how much this will be in terms of feeling the effect of each speaker. This might mean the cab will turn too middi / trebly as the Governors will overpower the Vintage 30s.

2.) Eminence 'The Tonker'

Pros: Resonance frequency of 89Hz, 102db sensitivity rating (same as the Governor), comparatively big ferrite magnet, good range (almost the same as the Governor's), and it's cheap (66 EUR at Thomman.de).

Cons: I have never heard anyone using this speaker at all. I can only go by the Eminence sound samples page, which is not much. Plus the Vintage 30 has a lower resonance frequency, so it should be darker and bassier than the Tonker.

3.) Two more Governors

Why not? If I like them I could abandon the X-pattern bullshit and just add 2 more so I have 4 of the same. Guess I'll have to wait and see. (hear).

I have also considered the Man O War (have written to Thomann if they can supply it) - but I'm thinking it has too much bite; The Eminence Tonespotter (but it will be too quiet at 100.7db sesitivity, besides the Tonker is heavier and has a bigger magnet), and the Eminence Swamp Thang - it is used by Rivera in their Knucklehead combos, but I have nowhere to get it from and also it seems a bit middy to me. Lastly, of course also the famous Texas Heats, but it sounds like the Tonker is similar to them with a little less mids and a little more low-end grit.

Like I said, sorry for the novel, guys. Let me know if my reasoning is flowed or something - like I want to know how much of a difference 2db would make. (I guess I will have the chance to test this in practice in 1-2 weeks time)

Tks, I know it won't be as good as Andy Sneap's comparison, but might be useful to see what the average Joe can get out of them speakers.

Yeah, I guess the Legend V121-8s should be considered, but I am worried about their lower sensitivity rating (98.8db). (not to be too overpowered by the Governors). On their own, they would be nice. . .

But anyway, I will have to hear the Governors and the Vintage 30 to decide, that should give me an idea of how much difference 2db make.

I'll be excited to hear the Governors. I was thinking about putting some in my 1960a.

Yeah, I am kind of impatient too. While we wait. . . check out those clips (made by some guy from the Splawn forum with the Splawn Nitro through the Governor) - perhaps you are familiar with them:

Splawn Nitro EL34s

Splawn Nitro Drop C

The speakers sound very full-bodied with a lot of low mids. Or perhaps it is the amp. Or the cab. :loco: Anyway, I want to hear those with my dual recto. Apocalypse! :lol:

Well, sorry I took so long. This was the longest delivery time EVER.

Speaker Comparison

I know the guitar is not in tune - actually I had less than half an hour to do the clips, so I barely managed as is. . . Apologies to Andy for stealing his 'Speaker and TS testing riff' and playing it so crappy. (couldn't reamp, so each performance is a bit different)

Actually, I sold my Vintage 30 today - that's why I had to do those in a rush - I was in a hurry to get to the courier's office before closing time, so I had to record and then dismantle the cab very quickly. So bye-bye Vintage 30 :cry:

Now with the cash I whipped up I can afford two more Eminence speakers. I am thinking two more Governors or two Swamp Thang's (I found a way to get them through Thomann).

BTW the mix between the Vintage 30 and the Governor didn't sound half bad, but the Governor was noticeably louder and drowned the Celestion a fair bit.

Whatever, hope the clips are (even in the least bit) useful to you.

Thank`s for the clips !

Hmm, the first impression is that the Governor eats Vintage 30 for breakfast. Vintage 30 sounds thin and nasal compared to the Gov.

If the impresson lasts, I will definitely buy Governors.

Thanks again

good you didn't get the Tonkers, i absolutely hated mine, they sounded very weird under high gain, shrill highs, boomy lows, no sweet mids, just awful.

I sold my governors to keep my V30 and G12t75 and regret it. There was a GREAT midrange thing on them. There was quite a bit of fizz too, but i could live with that.

If money comes, i plan on buying another pair this year.

the Governors seems to be thicker, but not as agressive and open sounding as the V30's.

which cab was this ?

it would be a better comparison if you made the files the same loudness, to make it fair.

Erm, sorry, it is quite a shitty comparison. I kinda did it for myself to check (for myself) which speaker I like more and which I should keep. My ears pointed to the eminence so I kept it and ditched the celestion, but I can't say I regret that. :)

The cab is quite shitty also, it is a behringer ultrastack 412h (kind of a marshall 1960 slant ripoff). :puke: Now it has 2 governors and 2 empty slots, but I'm broke and can't afford the other 2 speakers now so I use it as it is. :loco:

The loudness difference comes from the fact that the celestion (100db) is 2db quieter than the eminence speaker (102db). I didn't touch anything on the amp settings, so it was like this: place the mic on one speaker, then play/record, then move the mic to the other speaker, and again play/record. The amp settings were not touched/changed in the process. The mic position was measured with a ruler so that the mic is placed in the same place for each speaker (measured in centimetres from the edge of the cabinet - that is what the numbers 13, 10 and 8 stand for in the name of each sample - those are centimetres from the edge - the bigger the number, the closer the mic to the center of the speaker).

So in a way it is kinda objective, because in the real world (in the room) you hear one speaker louder than the other. But it is by no means a representative comparison, it's just a silly guy jamming. :lol:

But if the loudness difference bugs you, you can always download and normalize the respective files in your DAW. ;)

Sorry for the long post!!! :)

Hey dude, thanks for the clips man! I haven't decided which one I like better, those eminence are louder and brighter, but not sure if that's really what I am after, but at least now we can hear the difference!!

The Governers do sound better to me in those clips. I'd like to hear the two speakers blended.

Oh yeah, ProjectHampsterdam, I've played those last 2 riffs before, haha, weird, either they are so basic that its common to come up with them or we have a very similar writing/jamming style. Basic can be good and yeah, weird...

Holy shit, I think the Eminence destroys the V30 - I hate how many goddamn options Eminence has, I wonder what made Splawn choose the Gov. (since a Splawn cab was your inspiration)