Specific band side-chain Compression

abaga129

The Apprentice
Hey guys
I hear people talk about side chaining at specific frequencies a lot on this forum.
The only way I can think to do this is to send an instrument to an fx channel and put a filter or eq on each. On the fx channel filter everything except the frequency(s) you want to side chain. And on the original track only filter that frequency. Then side chain the fx channel.
Is there an easier way to do this? Or if anyone has some good filter vsts for this let me know!

you use reaper? if not i recommend it. comes with tons of good stock plugins. in reaper you can do parameter modulation where you can modulate an eq band to duck or you can split the signal into three bands with jsbandsplitter (1/2, 3/4, 5/6 on the same track), slap a sidechain comp and set the comps input to the frequency band you want (1/2, 3/4 or 5/6), then join them together back to 1/2 stereo. then send the kick, snare or whatever to that channel you wanted to trigger (again 1/2 3/4 or 5/6) thats the only other way i know how to do it.