Waves L1 Side-Chain function?

L1 doesn't have a sidechain, but I'm sure there are other limiters that do.

Also, shouldn't people be addressing the fact that if the snare sounds like shit in the overheads, you should be more concerned about mic placement than limiting the crap out of them to kill snare sound?

If I have my way, most of the best snare sound is coming from the overheads and room mics. I understand though that unfortunately there situations where the drummer might not be hitting the snare properly or have a bad sounding kit or whatever, but I think this trend of killing all kit sound in the overheads is what is making a lot of drum sounds very similar

no ...i have heard of sidechaining a snare drum to overheads in an effort to subdue the snare attack in the overhead mics.

but it doesn't belong to sturgis (nor did he pioneer it). it's been done a million times before joey and lots more before that.

i think for the sake of this thread, you might want to link the previous threads regarding this "trick" ...as to not seem like you are not totally making this up. :loco:

like everyone has said already; this isn't a trick... it's what limiters do.

Dude, you not understanding, the whole point of the thread was asking what the 'L1 trick' that ppl mention was? I'm not calling it a trick. Gosh I'm not that retarded. The whole point of this entire forum is to discuss and try out new ideas other ppl talk about, hence the thread name has a question mark meaning why are ppl asking about it if it doesn't exist. I just read it and thought I would try it (like we all do) and this came to my attention.

Where have you actual heard you need to SC it ?
Course i have read and heard about the legendary L1-snare-smash-trick, but never have there been any side chaining involved ?

What does it help saying where I read it? The bottom line is that its been mentioned a few times on some forums (I can't recall) I think its just a case of ppl not using a L1 before and not knowing what it is so they ask away trying to find answers. I read alotta forums and try everything I read. its the only way to learn (try it out for yourself)
And besides I'm pretty sure that there is a way to sidechain a hardware limiter as an insert through a desk, therefore making many comments about a limiters capabilities on here void!

What does it help saying where I read it? The bottom line is that its been mentioned a few times on some forums (I can't recall) I think its just a case of ppl not using a L1 before and not knowing what it is so they ask away trying to find answers. I read alotta forums and try everything I read. its the only way to learn (try it out for yourself)
And besides I'm pretty sure that there is a way to sidechain a hardware limiter as an insert through a desk, therefore making many comments about a limiters capabilities on here void!

It actually helps a whole lot seeing that in this thread full of users who have been here for a while no one have heard about it either.
Also as mentioned before a google search for l1 side chain shows only this thread.

Sorry don't wanna be rude, but I think you have misunderstood something.

The 'L1 trick' is best achieved by side-chaining the limiter or compressor on your overheads to your snare track. This way you ensure reduction every time that thing is hit, and at a minimal cost to your cymbals (you can get serious tearing/artifacts if you hammer them with a limiter).

But go easy on cymbal compression. They don't need much - if any. I just hit them up with an 1176 for some extra sizzle and movement. Beyond that it's just a high pass and mid-cut if it's making the snare and toms sound cardboard, and a high shelf to give as much air as needed.

And yeah, I love how many times Joey's repeated himself here. Waves Maxxbass is like a sub-harmonizer. It bumps low harmonics relevant to the source, so you can achieve clearer, fatter low-end than just using a low-shelf or the like. I've never done this myself, but I might experiment with it soon.

From Ermz

From Ermz

great...

and for the record, i don't think you are retarded. if i did, i would commend you in your ability to use a keyboard an mouse functionally and more so, tell you how much i respect a person like yourself for being so independent while overcoming your adversities. but that is not the case.

The whole point of this entire forum is to discuss and try out new ideas other ppl talk about

i agree... but only based on sources. i have been an audio engineer for a long time and i have learned that the only way to improve new ideas is by details and collective information while at the same time experimenting with new concepts. this thread is pointless without that information. much like a "rate my mix" thread is without a sample of music to rate.

So you never heard of the legendary Joey Sturgis L1 trick? Ive seen it on loads of threads.

proof? ...that's all i'm asking. ;)

great...

and for the record, i don't think you are retarded. if i did, i would commend you in your ability to use a keyboard an mouse functionally and more so, tell you how much i respect a person like yourself for being so independent while overcoming your adversities. but that is not the case.

i agree... but only based on sources. i have been an audio engineer for a long time and i have learned that the only way to improve new ideas is by details and collective information while at the same time experimenting with new concepts. this thread is pointless without that information. much like a "rate my mix" thread is without a sample of music to rate.

proof? ...that's all i'm asking. ;)

HAHAHA! Tim...you legend ;)

My point exactly about the experiencing new concepts. Thats why i was like 'damn i should try this L1 trick' and now i see the thread is pointless because its literally impossible (only specific to the Waves L1) but yet still possible with a hardware unit im sure!

HAHAHA! Tim...you legend ;)

My point exactly about the experiencing new concepts. Thats why i was like 'damn i should try this L1 trick' and now i see the thread is pointless because its literally impossible (only specific to the Waves L1) but yet still possible with a hardware unit im sure!

:confused:

hardware unit? ...as in - maxxbcl? (no sidechain) :err:

also, you didn't answer my question. threads talking about this same situation?

i would honestly like to see what threads you are talking about... i have searched but alas, i cannot find them.

yes it does, it blatantly says L1

Read it again, and look at in the context of the full sentence.
Its implied you can use any limiter or compressor.

Also im no analog guru, but I also don't think you can just side chain hardware units that are not coming stock with a side chain option.. Unless you mod it

Also im no analog guru, but I also don't think you can just side chain hardware units that are not coming stock with a side chain option.. Unless you mod it

sidechain is a common compressor function on hardware... every channel on an ssl has a s/c that can be used to send the compressor/expander's output to other channels.

there is no mystery to sidechain... only this thread. :confused:

sidechain is a common compressor function on hardware... every channel on an ssl has a s/c that can be used to send the compressor/expander out to other channels.

there is no mystery to sidechain... only this thread. :confused:

I know, but not every unit have a side chain circuitry.
Anyway this is not really relevant to the thread.

Point is you don't side chain the L1, and IMO ermz is also not telling you to do that.

I know, but not every unit have a side chain circuitry.
Anyway this is not really relevant to the thread.

Point is you don't side chain the L1, and IMO ermz is also not telling you to do that.

word!

is there a link to this conversation you guys are talking about?

i would love to see it!

Its the quote up there in post 28# :)
Sure im not native english, but I read it as he is just referring to "smash-the-snare-out-of-your-OHs" as the L1-Trick and not directly saying use the L1.

Its the quote up there in post 28# :)
Sure im not native english, but I read it as he is just referring to "smash-the-snare-out-of-your-OHs" as the L1-Trick and not directly saying use the L1.

agreed... it's a misunderstood quote. he was just referring to any compressor or limiter with a side chain function (not specifically the L1).

i think he was just examining the 'L1 trick' for the sake of quoting the "topic".

but it's difficult to be sure since i can only read what ermin wrote and not what everyone else was saying. i will also give ermin the benefit of the doubt and say that i am sure he knows the L1 has no key input or side chain.

this quote is completely taken out of context and is just inferring the use of side chain in a overhead/snare situation.

i still don't see how this has been discussed by as many people as clint is saying.

clint, just because you misread one person implying the common use of a signal processor doesn't mean it's been discussed numerous times.

i will, of course concede if you can show me where anyone else has exclaimed the use of this "trick" and as well it to be legendary, other than yourself.

otherwise, this thread is just perpetuating a distraction against what is actually true and preventing the "ideas" (that you cherish) to expand and are becoming lost in confusion.

facts for anyone who reaches this thread:

waves L1 limiter does not have a side chain function however it can be used to subdue snare transients. after you have employed a healthy amount of gain reduction to the overheads and snare, the theory would then be to apply a compressor with a side chain function after the limiter in the overhead chain (channel). finally you would side chain the snare to the overheads in an effort to duck the original snare captured with the overhead mics. thus allowing the more desired snare drum to sit tastefully in the mix without any unwanted artifacts from the original snare drum.

He says L1 trick followed by 'the limiter' not 'a limiter' "The 'L1 trick' is best achieved by side-chaining the limiter"
My point still stands! I get your point though, but the way he said it is still directed at the L1. If it wasn't he would of said 'the trick is to not use a L1' and even besides that! Its still a limiter he is talking about (which ppl clearly say cant be side chained) So yet again, my point still stands!