Speculation for 2018 PPUSA lineup?

Fixxer315

May 4, 2012
I did a similar thread last year at about this time, and got lucky with one of my choices being included in this year's line up (Metal Church). Of course, the lineup is pretty much set, but it's fun to speculate nonetheless.
Thus, I thought I'd throw it out again this year to see what everyone is thinking in regards to who might be in the lineup for next year's festival.

Here are a few bands I'd like to see:

Threshold: The last time Threshold played PPUSA was when Damian first rejoined, filling in after Mac's departure and doing a fine job of it. This would be a great time to bring these guys on board. I don't know if they would necessarily be a headliner, but they'd be an excellent second-to-last band for either Friday or Saturday.

Sabaton: It seems like ages since they've been on board, but it's only been four years, and it's about time we saw their return. In fact, they haven't even played Atlanta since 2014 when they opened for Iced Earth. Of course, they could headline just about any of the nights, and it would be great. It would be even better if they did one of their albums in its entirety, perhaps even letting the fans pick out which one.

Accept: Although I got to see Dirkschneider earlier this year doing a classic Accept setlist, I've not seen the current incarnation of Accept, whose setlists have been a great mix of old and new material. I'd love to see Teutonic Terror live, as it's one of the best old-school metal songs of this decade. Another band that would clearly be a headliner no matter what night they performed. One question might be whether they would be too expensive for this festival, as they could easily have their own headlining tour of the US.

Iced Earth: I haven't heard about any tour plans they have for Incorruptible, so if their N. American run takes place later in 2018, a PPUSA stop isn't out of the question.

Beyond the Black: A very solid (if somewhat generic) female-fronted symphonic metal band, they would be a fine inclusion in one of the early afternoon slots for Friday or Saturday.

Helloween--Pumpkins United Tour: I'm sure this reunion tour with Michael and Kai is one of the tours that Glenn & co are trying to make happen for this festival, with the main issue being timing, including whether the tour is going to hit the US at all. If they pull it off, this could be the highlight of the festival.

Primal Fear: Another band that hasn't played this festival in a while. However, I consider this to be less likely as they've been in Atlanta a few times over the last few years.

And if we want to aim in a more fantastic & potentially unrealistic direction, here are a couple of options:

Annihilator: Since they pretty much stay in Canada and play European festivals, I don't think this is a realistic choice, but it would be awesome if they were to make a rare U.S. appearance here.

Demons & Wizards. Jon Shafer has said he is working with Hani for new D&W material, and it would be awesome if they were to do PPUSA, perhaps as one of a handful of live shows (like classic-era Fates Warning, or Shattered Fortress).

So, whom would you like to see next time around?

James LaBrie said in an interview that he was headlining one of the days next year, but the good people at PPUSA said they won't comment on it. Not that I blame them, of course. That said, i'd absolutely love to see James do a solo set; honestly I enjoy his two latest solo albums more than most Dream Theater these days.

We had Katatonia headline one day, so it's not implausible for there to be another doom band. I'd love to see The Foreshadowing get on a spot. As far as I know they don't have any new music in the pipeline though.

Speaking of doom, Paradise Lost would be an awesome headliner!

Poets of the Fall are more rock than metal, but I think they would appeal to festival attendees.

Devilment would be a cool oddball band on the bill. If I remember right, Glenn said he liked their latest album.

Mercenary. They've apparently been in writing mode for a while, but who knows if they'll have anything new by next year.

Elvenking. I wanted to see them back when they played ProgPower nearly 10 years ago, but alas I was a poor college kid. They are releasing a new album this year, so maybe that's a good enough excuse for Glenn and co to book them? :)

If Firesoul ever gets their act together and releases some music of any kind, might be cool to see them too.

Finally, last but not least...ABBATH!!!

Last edited:
Good post....it's always a better read when people look at factors like cost and when a band last played.

For bands that haven't played in a long time and seemed to be well received among the ProgPower faithful, I think Threshold would be awesome to see. Thought the new single was awesome and really looking forward to hearing the whole album. Iced Earth would certainly be a great headliner again, but I'd be surprised to see them wait until next Fall to tour the States. It's been some time since Edguy played in the U.S. so that would generate some excitement as well if they made a return to Atlanta.

Lots of new blood out there to get excited about that might make an appearance next year or down the line. Caligula's Horse continue to put out excellent material and seem to be on the verge of breaking into the U.S. market. Triosphere has been on my list to play for awhile, and I think they would go over huge. Toehider is an amazing act out of Australia that I would love to see. Haven't read too much about them on this forum, but their vocalist Michael Mills has been awesome on the last 2 Ayreon discs. If they got the opportunity to play PP, I could easily see them being big players down the line.

Bands like Psychotic Waltz and Galactic Cowboys have the intrigue to draw in old fans of the genre, while still appealing to fans that have never seen them live before (myself included).

Lots of good possibilities out there to speculate on, but at the end of the day it's the bands this year that I can't wait for. Just over 2 weeks out from another amazing year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kez
I'd love to see Fates with Ray do Pleasant Shade of Gray. It came out in 1997 so we missed the 20th anniversary, but the anniversaries are really trending hot right now.

Queensryche has a new album coming out and they have a renewed fire with TLT now, it would be great to see them.

Either of these choices would be great. However, I would think that QR might have too high an asking price for the festival. Or has their stock fallen so far that they would be affordable these days?

As far as FW goes, I'd prefer they did Parallels in its entirety. Didn't they do that fairly recently on one of their European tours?

I think Friday night headliner will be Psychotic Waltz and Saturday night headliner will be Opeth.
Glen likes to invite bands performed the Ancient Greek Theater in Plovdiv,Bulgaria every September the last couple years.

[QUOTE="Charlie Dudley, post: 11420864, member: 157993"
Sadly, I think QR had a downturn but are trending upward now. I know it would never happen, but 2018 would mark the 20th anniversary of Operation:Mindcrime and that would be great to hear again in its entirety as well. Saw it performed entirely for my first concert ever.
Nostalgia is huge right now, DT doing Images & Words, Kansas doing Leftoverture and even bands like Foreigner & Cheap Trick doing 40 year anniversary tours. Maybe even a 20th anniversary of New Mythology Suite in a couple years since we missed the 20th of Divine Wings of Tragedy[/QUOTE]

I believe that the settlement between Geoff Tate and the rest of Queensryche over the name states that only Geoff Tate is allowed to do Operation Mindcrime in its entirety. I saw him do it live a few years ago when there were two bands going by the name of Queensryche. It was decent, but nowhere near as good as seeing the band play the album in 1991 on the Empire tour.

BTW, Foreigner doing a 40th anniversary tour is a bit of a joke considering that Mick Jones is the only original member of the band. Still, they sound very good live. I just wish they'd mix up their setlist far more often. These days, you can predict every song they do live, with perhaps only a handful of variations. They haven't even bothered to mix it up for their anniversary tour, with the only unique thing being the one or two appearances of Lou Gramm during a few songs for some shows on the East Coast. I don't know how that went, but I saw Lou Gramm do a solo show, and it defined the term mediocre, as his voice is nowhere near Kelly Hansen's these days.

Now that I think of it, another band I'd love to see do PPUSA would be Sonata Artcitca, but like Primal Fear, they've done a number of Atlanta gigs since their past PPUSA appearance in 2007, so I don't see them as particularly likely either.

Last edited:
Speculation is strange considering the reveal video will be played in, like, no time at all. As someone lucky enough to have a GB for 11 years, I felt that attending was the thing, not the bands. Being a fan of the festival made the bands selected secondary. Atlanta is a great city, and the trip was mostly fun. Be grateful that you are able to go at all. When it ends, a hole can open in your life that is not easily filled.

Soen
Agent Fresco
Persefone
Enslaved
Gazpacho
iamthemorning
Ne Obliviscaris
Caligula's Horse

I spent some time doing this one. Nobody knows whats in G's head or what his budget is, so a few of these might be too pricey, but I tried for a solid balance

WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY

Fractal Cypher Kattah
Phantasma Iris Divine
Mastadon Machine Head
Labrynth(Final show) Savatage

FRIDAY

Soul Secret
Persephone
DeLain
Sieges Even re-union
Nocturnal Rites
Lizzy Borden

SATURDAY

Prospekt
The Ferrymen
Cellar Darling
Riverdogs
Kamelot
James LaLeak

Reactions: Azrael LenGraden
I hope the folks saying Persefone are right. Aathma is a mind-bending album and I would love to hear any of their stuff live. Also Anubis Gate would make my life.

I also still hope that Disperse gets another shot. Hope springs eternal!