Spending Cash

Evergore

Knightrider of Doom
Jan 15, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey Im trying to plan my trip this year (first timer) anyway I'm bringing my wife and children. My wife isnt really into the music and my kids are too young. I just needed to know how much spending money I should plan on having for merch and such...also I realize the info for the Showcase hasnt been set yet but how much was that last year?
thanks

Wes

Well, if your wife isn't going to the festival but coming to Tlanta with you bring plenty of $$$$$$$ as to what you will spend, it depends really on what you want to buy. this is what i spent last year.

CDs- $350
Shirts - $175
Booze - who knows
Socializing with the greatest family in the world - priceless
Wheelchair - hehehehehehehe (private joke)

Hey Im trying to plan my trip this year (first timer) anyway I'm bringing my wife and children. My wife isnt really into the music and my kids are too young. I just needed to know how much spending money I should plan on having for merch and such...also I realize the info for the Showcase hasnt been set yet but how much was that last year?
thanks

Wes

Dude, that's a question only you can answer. I could easily spend $1,000 during that weekend, but I can't. I usually buy only a couple of discs per festival, but between Ken and Zane I could go bankrupt if I didn't have any control! :) I've been to the last three ProgPowers, but only have bought two shirts. It all depends upon the person.

~Brian~

Real question is, how much will it cost to keep the Mrs. and children occupied?

Tons of malls in Atlanta, then there's the aquarium, the zoo, museums...

Real question is, how much will it cost to keep the Mrs. and children occupied?

Tons of malls in Atlanta, then there's the aquarium, the zoo, museums...

Also, are you driving or flying, Evergore? Myself and friends have made the pilgrimage by car from Baltimore the last 3 years and will be doing so again this October. If you are driving from Philly, think about how many times you will be stopping for food, breaks, etc. - usually we leave from Baltimore late on Wednesday night/Thursday morning, don't really hit to much traffic, make about 3 (maybe 4) stops along the way and arrive in Atlanta by about noon or 1 pm on Thursday. Account for lunch stops, gas and other spending along your journey if you travel by car.

As far as spending at the show goes:
Merch - Anything and everything metal related you could imagine will probably have a good chance of being there: CDs, DVDs, T-shirts, posters, etc. Plus most bands also bring their own merch. Be prepared to find a lot of hard-to-find or internet-only finds in the merch room. There is an ATM in the venue, but it's a good idea to pay cash so you don't have to pay service charges for getting to your own money. I make a list every year of bands I want to check out and CDs and DVDs that I want to buy. That might help you limit your spending a little.

Drinking - How much do you drink at a normal show? Would you like to have money to buy band members drinks if you meet them or get talking? (Trust me - it happens!)

Food - The venue does offer some basic bar food and their are a few other resturants within walking distance. Will you bring food with you to your hotel and cook there? Or will you be eating out for all your meals? Most hotels offer complementay breakfast of some kind, but lunch and dinner are up to you.

Beyond the cost of tickets and hotels and maybe food, the cost of your trip is pretty much up to how much you are willing to spend.

Me - I typically try to save up enough to take between $400 and $600 to ProgPower each year, but I certainly wouldn't have touble spending more than that if I actually had the money.

I've spent anywhere between $100-500 on merch/food.

My lovely friend is correct though, how much will it take to keep the wife and kids occupied?

If possible, I'd seriously suggest taking a couples only vacation as even the adults get tired and cranky and there are usually tons of after parties that most likely will keep the kids awake (unless you get an out of the way hotel). I know, mind my own business, but as a seasoned concert goer (to this festival as well as many others), I can't imagine bringing my son to PP at least not until he's 16 or so... and he's got a good number under his belt (at 8, he's been to at least 35-40). Just be ware that your kids might want to leave early and arrive late... especially if they don't go to a lot of/ never been to any concerts. I'm assuming your children are under the age of about 16 so feel free to tell me to shut the hell up too. I promise I won't be offended.

Alright I promise that's my 2cents.

I'd suggest nothing less than $500 for the 4 of you for food and activities if they don't want to attend the fest.

-metal

I've spent anywhere between $100-500 on merch/food.

My lovely friend is correct though, how much will it take to keep the wife and kids occupied?

If possible, I'd seriously suggest taking a couples only vacation as even the adults get tired and cranky and there are usually tons of after parties that most likely will keep the kids awake (unless you get an out of the way hotel). I know, mind my own business, but as a seasoned concert goer (to this festival as well as many others), I can't imagine bringing my son to PP at least not until he's 16 or so... and he's got a good number under his belt.

Alright I promise that's my 2cents.

I'd suggest nothing less than $500 for the 4 of you for food and activities if they don't want to attend the fest.

-metal

I agree with you. It was funny, because I sat behind a family of four during the Freak Kitchen set last year. The kids looked about 12 or so and they were eating nachos acting like they were at the movies or something! :lol: It just hit me kind of odd.

~Brian~

I agree with you. It was funny, because I sat behind a family of four during the Freak Kitchen set last year. The kids looked about 12 or so and they were eating nachos acting like they were at the movies or something! :lol: It just hit me kind of odd.

~Brian~

Did they participate in making the sounds of the vibrating ass dildo? That would have been fun to see :lol:

There is an ATM in the venue, but it's a good idea to pay cash so you don't have to pay service charges for getting to your own money.

I wouldn't count on that ATM at all. Last year the thing ran out of money early Saturday afternoon. I couldn't believe all the people standing around wondering where to get money :lol: Fortunately the Residence saved me as they have an ATM on the premises. Plus there are some banks within walking distance of the venue. Point is I would decide how much you will need and get your cash prior to heading to the venue.

I wouldn't count on that ATM at all. Last year the thing ran out of money early Saturday afternoon. I couldn't believe all the people standing around wondering where to get money :lol: Fortunately the Residence saved me as they have an ATM on the premises. Plus there are some banks within walking distance of the venue. Point is I would decide how much you will need and get your cash prior to heading to the venue.

I remember the first PP I went to (#4) the ATM ran out as well. One of my friends with me who had a chronic condition of never having more than $20 in his wallet at any time was quite upset.

It still to this day never ceases to amaze me the number of grown-ass men who walk around all day long afraid to carry money on them. I don't think you need to have some gangster-styled roll on you, but if you are on vacation and at an event, I don't think having a $100 cash on you is going to make a guy very nervous.

But maybe I'm weird though.

Honestly, about 200$ gets me through the entire trip, including food (I buy pizza on saturday night during the 3rd set so it's in the room when we get back). i buy maybe 6 CDs, one PP shirt, pay a bit for beer, and I typically leave with a good 50$. Of course, I end up shelling out about $150 to Curufin over the next 2 weeks for the hotel room.

I drop $250 to $300 on cd's and 1 or 2 shirts. The great thing about these types of festivals is the number of vendors and all the obscure stuff they have. Just gotta load up! Me and my wife drive down from MI and will spend about $1200-$1400 all told.

With all the money we drop on this festival, the city should put up banners on the street poles and give us a discount for MARTA. :lol:

Last year I got my CD buying done (through The End and Laser's Edge) before the festival, so I wouldn't have to cart a lot of CDs around. I still bought around ten CDs there, several t-shirts, pre-ordered the event DVD, etc. Not a drinker, so I didn't spend too much on my own alcohol (although I did pay for others' :erk: :) )

As for food, we went out to Taco Cabana at least once and somewhere else (City Cafe?), and also bought some sodas and stuff to snack on in the room.

With hotel room (but not airfare), it's easily a $600 weekend, not including sponsor costs, of course.

Honestly, about 200$ gets me through the entire trip, including food (I buy pizza on saturday night during the 3rd set so it's in the room when we get back). i buy maybe 6 CDs, one PP shirt, pay a bit for beer, and I typically leave with a good 50$. Of course, I end up shelling out about $150 to Curufin over the next 2 weeks for the hotel room.

I started to say, how in the hell were you pulling that off? :lol: