Spiritual Black Dimensions...

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
Anyone else think this Dimmu album is underrated? I rarely see any discussion about the album - presumably since it doesn't raise as many eyebrows stylistically as their other stuff does. I think it's easily the best thing they've done since Enthrone. It's incredibly evil-sounding without being as cheesy as typical Dimmu stuff. It has much more balanced/subtle use of keyboards than Enthrone, as Mustis actually knows how to play the thing. It's full of really creepy, psychotic riffs, which go well with Vortex's disturbing vocals (although these are rather sparse). Overall, the sound is quite corrosive and punishing - IMO the 'blackest' metal sound they've ever had.

Basically I see this album as being the most mature and well-structured piece the group has done. What do others think?

I own all Dimmu Borgir albums and they are my favorite Symphonic Black Metal band and I dont care what everyone else thinks, like "Oh, they are not tr00 black metal and shit", fair enough but at least they didnt record their stuff in a bathtub with a cellphone like some other bands which I'm also into btw.

Spiritual Black Dimensions and Godless Savage garden are my least favorite albums by D.B. cause the production was shitty and the songs turned out to be good musically but underated overall. I think Peter Tangtren did the production in SBD if I am not mistaken and he said that everyone wanted their instruments to sound louder than the other so there was a communication problem and the album turned out to be shitty.
But some of the music is amazing in this album to be honest.

Spiritual Black Dimensions and Godless Savage garden are my least favorite albums by D.B. cause the production was shitty and the songs turned out to be good musically but underated overall. I think Peter Tangtren did the production in SBD if I am not mistaken and he said that everyone wanted their instruments to sound louder than the other so there was a communication problem and the album turned out to be shitty.

Hmm... I never thought of the production as being shitty, really. I'll admit, the mixing was kinda noisy - I can imagine such a 'communication problem' having taken place - but that really doesn't affect my view of the album. It just makes it sound unique, that's all.

Anyone else think this Dimmu album is underrated? I rarely see any discussion about the album - presumably since it doesn't raise as many eyebrows stylistically as their other stuff does. I think it's easily the best thing they've done since Enthrone. It's incredibly evil-sounding without being as cheesy as typical Dimmu stuff. It has much more balanced/subtle use of keyboards than Enthrone, as Mustis actually knows how to play the thing. It's full of really creepy, psychotic riffs, which go well with Vortex's disturbing vocals (although these are rather sparse). Overall, the sound is quite corrosive and punishing - IMO the 'blackest' metal sound they've ever had.

Basically I see this album as being the most mature and well-structured piece the group has done. What do others think?

dimmu hardly gets discussed here at all. its not restricted to this album

dimmu hardly gets discussed here at all. its not restricted to this album

I was referring more to overall discussion of the band in reviews, other websites, etc., not just this forum. I'm well aware of Dimmu's unpopularity in the UM forum :)

SBD is certainly superior to the next to albums, production-wise and music-wise. The torrential bombast of the album matches the atmosphere it creates to create an oppressive yet empowering sound. The presence of Vortex of course puts the album high on my list, for this album presents Vortex's best vocal-work with the band, whether on an inspiring solo or backing up Shaggy.

I hear people say that this album is underrated all the time, I never get a better reason other than "Dude, the title is awesome."

Correct! It's the best and most atmospheric album they have done.