Spiritualized can eat a bag of holding of dicks AKA the KAYO DOT SHOW in NYC

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
(sorry for bad picture-taking...I don't have a great sense of timing)

We got the trip started a bit late, but made it to NYC in plenty of time to find out that not only had Northsix booked SPIRITUALIZED within the past week (and, by virtue of their giantness, therefore bumped Kayo Dot/Time of Orchids/Behold...the Arctopus to the tiny downstairs), but they expected everyone downstairs to be done by 10:30, so Spiritualized could have their silence.

So they wanted Kayo Dot to play at 8pm, even though all the flyering had been for 9pm, and even then they were worried about fitting all 5 (yeah, two more had been added) bands in before the time.

I don't know the ins and outs, but as it worked out, Kayo Dot got the 9pm slot. Kickass.

We hung around outside until 9 rolled around, spitting at the Spiritualized fancy-dancy tour bus. Creepily, THE SPARE MIA arrived. There's more of a story to it, but it's not mine to tell.

kayodot4.jpg

Although Greg might forget his backup guitar, somebody remembered the backup Mia, I guess.

They opened with:
kayodot1.jpg

The place was tiny and thus got pretty full pretty quickly. In this picture you can see THE SPARE VINCENT GALLO drinking a beer. He was pretty nice and is in a band called STAY FUCKED.
kayodot5.jpg

Guitarist (former bassist) Nick Kyte TRANCES THE FUCK OUT when he plays.
kayodot6.jpg

Greg, Ryan, and Forbes. Check out Greg's METAL FACE:
kayodot7.jpg

The sound was actually not bad, despite the place! You could definitely pick out the individual parts of even the distorted The Antique. Partway through it went into WALL OF SOUND effect which was awesome. FOUR GUITARS!!!
kayodot8.jpg

Blurry Forbes Graham on the trumpet:
kayodot9.jpg

The second and final song they played was Marathon (hey, two 15-minute songs with a blown amp head in between is a set!). Check out Forbes on euphonium here:
kayodot10.jpg

I framed this picture perfectly. As the flash fired, Greg thrashed so hard he ducked completely out of view:
kayodot13.jpg

METAL MONEY SHOT:
kayodot14.jpg

I simply could not get a good picture of Sam. Here he looks pissy and demonic, at least:
kayodot15.jpg

No pictures of Ryan on upright bass or Mia on violin, either, due to the crowding and my inability to move from the stack of CDs I was selling. There was also one picture of Toby but I'm sure he'll say I LOOK FAT in it and delete it. Sorry. :(

I tried to take a candid photo of Greg and Nick Kyte later, while they were in mid-conversation. Greg saw me, leapt to Nick's side, and seized him. Nick was in mid-speech and totally confused:
kayodot16.jpg

Mia, me, and Nick Kyte (getting drunker and more affectionate as the evening drew on):
kayodot17.jpg

Behold...the Arctopus were great! I wish they'd had a CD, because I would've bought it. This guy was playing a "Warr guitar", I think it's called:
arctopus1.jpg

More Arctopus:
arctopus2.jpg

These guys played for fifteen minutes. I don't know their name. They were, um, something.
xxkayodot.jpg

Time of Orchids decided to play at midnight, AFTER Spiritualized. Their drummer is fucking phenomenal. (Notice he's the same drummer from Fat Naked Guys)
orchids1.jpg

orchids2.jpg

Several people showed up too late to catch Kayo Dot, which sucked, and I guess SPIRITUALIZED is to blame. The 9:00 set time was actually ideal, I think, because the place kind of cleared out a bit after Kayo Dot played.

Still drinkin'...
kayodot18.jpg

We drove back to Boston overnight and I went straight in to work, exhausted, unrested. Notice I'm wearing the same clothes I put on at 6:45 yesterday morning. Also, smoking a cigarette doesn't count as "in the morning" if you haven't slept:

kayoalex.jpg

I was there in spirit.

Mind you, I was vomiting. So, that might not be as nice a comment as I meant it to be.

The pics load fine for me if I let them. Often don't to save time.

Oh and Toby you're the one person who'd appreciate this... I got a that Esoteric CD I've been hunting for two years for mad cheap, yo.