SSD Drives

Ive been running the old Vertex 1 drive for a couple years now....LOVE IT! it's night and day difference compared to my old Caviar Black 640 Hardrive.

I too want to upgrade to a vertex2 or vertex3 drive.....which is a what?, double and triple the speeds of the old vertex1 drives?

:Smokin:

What about really fast normal harddrives? Like 15.5k speed drives? That proabably would do a massive improvement working in large projects?

Anyone who can confirm that who knows their shit? :)

I do have a feeling that a lot of early adopters in a few years are going to be losing systems left right and centre, due to the first generation of SSD's not supporting trim and being generally crappy in the amount of read/writes you get. I'm going to wait I think, although we did test one with BFD2 and the performance WAS stellar. But there was significant speed dropping after a few months.

It was only a really cheap drive (OCZ Vertex 1) but it kind of sucked after a while :(

What about really fast normal harddrives? Like 15.5k speed drives? That proabably would do a massive improvement working in large projects?

Anyone who can confirm that who knows their shit? :)

Yeah I read about a drive called the cheetah in December last year that's doing those sorta speeds. But have yet to hear from anybody that owns 1. This could be the immediate future we all looking for. I'm still keen to hear from anybody who might be using a drive with speeds as high as 15000

A 15.5k drive wont do for Ermz, the noise on that thing will be rather insane. Silence is golden.

It's cool guys, thanks. I'm going to wait it out. The indications so far are that my drive isn't failing (I hope), so I'll hold onto this one for as long as I can. SSD still doesn't seem fully fledged to me. Reliability is chief.

On the whole this last system we built, it's a damned good one. It's lasted the test of the last 2 years admirably with only a videocard needing to be flipped out every so often to stay current with games. I don't think I've ever pushed the 6GB of RAM it has, and the 920 has held up rather well in terms of performance.