Stand-Up Comedy Thread

I'm not familiar with most of the stand-up comedians mentioned here. The only ones I recognize are Lisa Lampanelli(I've only seen her on the Roast), George Carlin, Robin Williams and Ellen Degeneres. I watched Wanda Sykes' stand-up once or twice as well. Not really a fan of any of them.

I don't think that "they suck" is a relevant estimate in this case. It's obviously easier to appreciate stand-up comedians of your own native descent and/or cultural background. Since I'm not an American, I don't really have a frame of reference to relate to their anecdotes.

Good thread...and I'm glad no one's really mentioned Sarah Silverman because she's pretty unfunny. Lots of great comedians listed!

A few years back, I got to see Michael Winslow (you know, the Police Academy guy who makes all those sound effects). It was pretty entertaining. Pablo Francisco is another good sound effect comedian.

Yeah, he's not even that funny on his own show... the other characters and Larry David's brilliant writing are the best things about that show. Jerry Seinfeld just isn't that funny.

Ya George is my favorite char. It's like every problem they have is somehow entwined to build you up and give you a big laugh during the ending parts.

Sarah Silver = Worst Comedian ever. I forgot about her, but I was watching one of her stand ups a while back. OMG, it's like they gave some immature pre teen a mic and threw her on stage.

Ya George is my favorite char. It's like every problem they have is somehow entwined to build you up and give you a big laugh during the ending parts.

Sarah Silver = Worst Comedian ever. I forgot about her, but I was watching one of her stand ups a while back. OMG, it's like they gave some immature pre teen a mic and threw her on stage.

She's pretty cute, though.

Sarah Silverman is awful. I have no idea what Jimmy Kimmel sees in her.

The one funny thing she did was that music video "I'm Fucking Matt Damon." Then Kimmel totally trumped her when he made "I'm Fucking Ben Affleck."

I've always liked
George Carlin (THE best, and not just saying that because he died)
Louis C.K.
Eddie Murphy (RAW)
Dave Attell
Mitch Hedburg
Jim Florentine
Reverend Bob Levy

Check out Bob Levy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man! Dane Cook is so funny!!! I mean he says something that we all think, and then he acts it out!! I can really see why this guy got to where he is.

Lots of entertainers and artists get weirdly popular for dumb or obvious things. I personally first heard Dane Cook before anyone knew who he was :p

AND Sarah Silverman is FUCKING. AWFUL. Possibly the worst comedian ever; no idea why anyone likes her.

I'm really disappointed that I only caught the last 10 minutes of Bill Burr's special last night... I completely forgot it was going to be on. What I saw was excruciatingly hilarious, but I'll guess it'll come one again.

Also, new Brian Regen 1 hour special on Saturday!