Star Wars Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED***

Snoke is probably Darth Plagueis, who was Sideous' master.

My other problem with the movie was the Starkiller base concept. It was completely retarded.

Care to elaborate? I definitely do feel that it was a bit deja vu, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was completely retarded. Although with a weapon like that there really isn't any pretence left for the First Order to claim a centre-right political movement. I wasn't entirely clear on their goal either. Just blow shit up? Like terrorists? I was going to complain about how unlikely it was that so many people would follow these murderous movements, but then I remembered Nazis and... more recent groups...

I have found out that my critique of Rey is calling her a "Marey Sue", apparently, as I think this is some sort of comic book literary element. This dude said it who is more famous than me and i'm interested to hear your opinions on it. I am home and bored and have rewatched the original trilogy and it honestly makes me hate the new installment more. How cowardly was the direction of The Force Awakens? Nothing added to the universe, just a complete rehash of the same storyline arc of the original trilogy. Lucas blew it on the 2nd trilogy, but at least he had the balls to be creative and try something.

Agreeing with Crimson again there. Darth Autism may have been a little bitchy, but that is a trait of an inexperienced/untrained sith. Remember Anikan ruthlessly murdering all those sand people in Episode 2 and his meltdown when he arrives back at Luke's homestead? Just another reason why the sith are flawed as equally as the jedi.

Grey Jedi are the only Jedi.

I'm not the biggest Star Wars guy, but what is flawed about the jedi? It's always been clear why the darkside is a double edged sword, but why the Jedi?

I honestly don't think Luke was headed to the darkside in ESB, but that's maybe just me.

A few thoughts...

1) Yes, no more death stars. They need to go in another direction with future films. Another super weapon, sure. But no planet sized, laser shooters please. Maybe a bio weapon or force-infused something-or-other.

2) Rey fits well and is helllllla cute. I'm against everyone thinking she is Luke's daughter. He's got too many issues with his past to do the same thing to her (on a desert planet no less) presumably without any family there either, which at least he had. If she's related to anyone she's Obi-wan's granddaughter (check how easily she could force persuade the guard, and her light saber stance- very similar to Obi-wan's). It's much more likely she's just a random person the force awoke in, however.

3) Finn wasn't bad, but he feels more like the token black man whereas Lando was well executed. I hope he's not just going to be her sidekick and act more like a side-story, doing more anti-first-order missions with the resistance while Rey does Jedi shit.

4) The visual effects were amazing. The CGI wasn't cheesy like the prequels and we had no dumbshit characters like JarJar. This doesn't feel blatantly marketed to 8 year olds. I hope the second one is a little bit darker in theme like Empire was, however, and take place in more First-Order controlled areas.

5) Snoke is definitely Plagueis. I hope they stay true to the limited info we got on him previously- more that's he's less raw evil like Palpatine, and more about creating a perfect world and influencing people than flat out dominating everyone. More of a wise, evil-god-like presence than an iron fisted emperor. That said, it would be really cool if he actually created the first order to combat some outside threat to pay homage to the the expanded universe (I forgot the name, but there was a pending invasion from a civilization from outside the galaxy that needed things like death stars and a large military, etc.)

6) I'm glad they killed Han. Better that than a half hearted performance from Harrison Ford who has admitted to not caring for Star Wars. He stays true to the character in that he's "just in it for the money" though...

7) I like what they did with Kylo-Ren. Just the opposite of Vader in that he started somewhat morally ambiguous and with killing Han cemented himself as truly evil. This won't be a redemption story IMO.

Overall I give it an 8.5/10

Last edited:
A few thoughts...
2) Rey fits well and is helllllla cute. I'm against everyone thinking she is Luke's daughter. He's got too many issues with his past to do the same thing to her (on a desert planet no less) presumably without any family there either, which at least he had. If she's related to anyone she's Obi-wan's granddaughter (check how easily she could force persuade the guard, and her light saber stance- very similar to Obi-wan's). It's much more likely she's just a random person the force awoke in, however.

What if the mother took Rey and put her into hiding against Luke's wishes? I think every things points to her being Luke's daughter. Also, Luke's Theme plays when Rey force-grabs the light saber.

3) Finn wasn't bad, but he feels more like the token black man whereas Lando was well executed. I hope he's not just going to be her sidekick and act more like a side-story, doing more anti-first-order missions with the resistance while Rey does Jedi shit.

I really don't get what race has to do with him. The character wasn't even written for a black guy. And it's fucking space! I'm fine with people disliking the character (though I think he's great), but can't race stay out of it? That said, I think he's gonna have a huge arc in this saga.

5) Snoke is definitely Plagueis. I hope they stay true to the limited info we got on him previously- more that's he's less raw evil like Palpatine, and more about creating a perfect world and influencing people than flat out dominating everyone. More of a wise, evil-god-like presence than an iron fisted emperor. That said, it would be really cool if he actually created the first order to combat some outside threat to pay homage to the the expanded universe (I forgot the name, but there was a pending invasion from a civilization from outside the galaxy that needed things like death stars and a large military, etc.)

I agree. I saw video that pointed out that the music during the Snoke scene is the same music as when Palpatine is telling the story of Plagieus in ROTS.

Last edited:
I have found out that my critique of Rey is calling her a "Marey Sue", apparently, as I think this is some sort of comic book literary element. This dude said it who is more famous than me and i'm interested to hear your opinions on it. I am home and bored and have rewatched the original trilogy and it honestly makes me hate the new installment more. How cowardly was the direction of The Force Awakens? Nothing added to the universe, just a complete rehash of the same storyline arc of the original trilogy. Lucas blew it on the 2nd trilogy, but at least he had the balls to be creative and try something.

I see where people are coming from with that criticism, but for me the character worked. The comps to Luke aren't fair, because Rey had a far more independent and rugged life than Luke. She's had it rough, so it's not shocking that she's tougher, more resourceful and more resilient than Luke was from the get-go. Also, I found her inability to let go of her home and hope that her 'family' would return to be a true weakness. Moreover, I think she's gonna get dark for her by the end of episode VIII.

I do agree that Abram's didn't do a great job of world building. There were no new interesting alien species and most of the one's in the film were sort of like LOTR cast-offs. However, TFA more than makes up for it with script, dialogue, characters, theme, and acting.

I don't see how it could possibly be Luke's daughter. It doesn't make any sense given the information we have thus far.

I don't see how it could possibly be Luke's daughter. It doesn't make any sense given the information we have thus far.

-Highly force sensitive
-A natural pilot (like Anakin and Luke)
- A natural mechanic (like Anakin)
-Luke/Anakin's lightsaber "calls" to her
-R2D2 (Luke/Anakin's droid) suddenly turns on when Rey arrives
-Han offers her a job, just like he offered Luke in ANH
-like Luke, she's an orphan
-like Luke, she comes from a desert planet
-Rey dresses like Luke in Episode IV
-Luke's theme plays when Rey force-grabs the light saber
-Rey is the one sent to find Luke at the end of the film

Reactions: NinjaSweater
I see where people are coming from with that criticism, but for me the character worked. The comps to Luke aren't fair, because Rey had a far more independent and rugged life than Luke. She's had it rough, so it's not shocking that she's tougher, more resourceful and more resilient than Luke was from the get-go. Also, I found her inability to let go of her home and hope that her 'family' would return to be a true weakness. Moreover, I think she's gonna get dark for her by the end of episode VIII.

I do agree that Abram's didn't do a great job of world building. There were no new interesting alien species and most of the one's in the film were sort of like LOTR cast-offs. However, TFA more than makes up for it with script, dialogue, characters, theme, and acting.

How can you say the comparisons are not fair when you just mentioned how similar the character portrayals are of both Luke and Rey in relation to the story? Luke's made sense though, because Lucas wasn't trying to push a feminist agenda.

Tougher? More resourceful? Don't see either. If you're going to suggest her scavenger upbringing made her more able to 'beat' Ren in the interrogation sequence, that's quite a leap imo. (this is the only instance where I can think of her 'being' tough) Resourceful isn't the right word, as she didn't find solutions outside of her capabilities but instead knew the solutions to all of the problems. If she was jerry-rigging the Falcon that would prove your theory, but she was simply more skilled than Han in repairing the Falcon. I think this is an aspect trying t put forth a feminist agenda of the "super-woman hero" character that is so prevalent in Hollywood today.

Honestly, her 'hope' for her family's return was silly. Doesn't remember, or even know them, but blindly faithful in their return. Weak. Would've been better if she wasn't like Luke, in that she wanted badly to leave home and take one of those ships she's been working on and seeing all her life into the universe. But instead, she's mimic'd into Luke 2.0. Because why be original or take a creative step?

Dialogue?! Ugh. How many "Yeahs!" and "Good shot!" does it take to ruin a script? I wasn't going to critique this because it's a movie made for a ~10 year old audience, but jeeeesus Christ! haha. No way that is "good" dialogue. I don't get how any character was that appealing, Finn had his moments outside of being a beta-male and Maz was cool but that was about it. I can't tell if i'm arguing with a logical critic or a star wars fanboy, quite honestly.

What themes are you referring to?

I really think youre just arguing with someone that's "offended" you don't believe the female character should be quite so OP from the beginning.

-Highly force sensitive
-A natural pilot (like Anakin and Luke)
- A natural mechanic (like Anakin)
-Luke/Anakin's lightsaber "calls" to her
-R2D2 (Luke/Anakin's droid) suddenly turns on when Rey arrives
-Han offers her a job, just like he offered Luke in ANH
-like Luke, she's an orphan
-like Luke, she comes from a desert planet
-Rey dresses like Luke in Episode IV
-Luke's theme plays when Rey force-grabs the light saber
-Rey is the one sent to find Luke at the end of the film

Sure there are similarities, but there is nothing stated or implied to lead to that conclusion. Also it's stated she had a family; what happened with that?

I haven't actually watched this movie. Does it say anywhere in the film that Rey and Kylo Ren aren't twins?

it's stated she had a family; what happened with that?

Luke could be her dad...

Remember the cut scene where it's a little girl watching a ship fly away? She acts all surprised and wide-eyed when Han mentioned he knows Luke. It's a theory is all..

Like @rms I'm not a big Star Wars guy so I'm having to revisit everything.

I really think youre just arguing with someone that's "offended" you don't believe the female character should be quite so OP from the beginning.

Yeah when I said "I can see where you're coming from" it was obvious I was offended. A+ reading comprehension right there.

How can you say the comparisons are not fair when you just mentioned how similar the character portrayals are of both Luke and Rey in relation to the story? Luke's made sense though, because Lucas wasn't trying to push a feminist agenda.

Those are thematic links and hints, rather than implications of every aspect of their dispositions being the same. Luke has more of a "middle class" up bringing while Rey lives in poverty. They're at a similar stage in life, and both experiencing wonderlust, but are from different "economic" backgrounds.

Tougher? More resourceful? Don't see either. If you're going to suggest her scavenger upbringing made her more able to 'beat' Ren in the interrogation sequence, that's quite a leap imo. (this is the only instance where I can think of her 'being' tough) Resourceful isn't the right word, as she didn't find solutions outside of her capabilities but instead knew the solutions to all of the problems. If she was jerry-rigging the Falcon that would prove your theory, but she was simply more skilled than Han in repairing the Falcon. I think this is an aspect trying t put forth a feminist agenda of the "super-woman hero" character that is so prevalent in Hollywood today.

Everything she does on Jakku shows her to be resourceful. The way she's is able to scrounge up enough scraps to survive on a barren planet all by herself, the way she solves the problems on the Falcon, etc.

Dialogue?! Ugh. How many "Yeahs!" and "Good shot!" does it take to ruin a script? I wasn't going to critique this because it's a movie made for a ~10 year old audience, but jeeeesus Christ! haha. No way that is "good" dialogue. I don't get how any character was that appealing, Finn had his moments outside of being a beta-male and Maz was cool but that was about it. I can't tell if i'm arguing with a logical critic or a star wars fanboy, quite honestly.

The dialogue was sharp, witty and well timed. It was powerful when appropriate and showed a lot about the characters without having to turn it into exposition. It was concise and efficent. Only Empire Strikes Back rivals it.

Regarding themes: creating one's own destiny (Rey, Finn, and Kylo all leave reject the path they had been given in life), decision, letting go/opening up/awakening, and like all Star Wars movies-the struggle between light and dark.