Star Wars Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED***

Why? They won the war and have a new fledgling government. There isn't a huge evil colossus hunting the jedi anymore so that would be pointless.

Clearly there is. I mean we don't get much back story on the First Order or how long they've been around (maybe they'll go into that with the novel form)

They aren't the dominant power though. Under the empire they had a policy to either kill jedi or capture them. Post Endor, that ceased to exist. The First Order surely made efforts, but it wouldn't make sense to handle that situation in the same way given the new circumstances.

I could be completely wrong but I just don't see her being the daughter of Luke or the Solos.

For those who have seen all the films, how would you rank them?

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Force Awakens
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Attack of the Clones
7. The Phantom Menace

Couple pages ago someone mentioned Snoke being Darth Plagueis but I don't think that's right. I think it's more likely he is Darth Bane. That or it's a completely new character. No way it's Plagueis.

Last edited:
Couple pages ago someone mentioned Snoke being Darth Plagueis but I don't think that's right. I think it's more likely he is Darth Bane. That or it's a completely new character. No way it's Plagueis.

The more I think about it, the more I think he's a new character. I can't envision the new directors/producers/writers opting to focus on a short piece of exposition that only die hard fans will remember. Bane seems even less likely, as I don't think he's even mentioned in the actual movies.

That's about right. Jedi and Awakens are pretty close. I might give the edge to Jedi, but otherwise I agree completely. There's just something about Empire that trumps everything though...

For those who have seen all the films, how would you rank them?

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Force Awakens
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Attack of the Clones
7. The Phantom Menace

The more I think about it, the more I think he's a new character. I can't envision the new directors/producers/writers opting to focus on a short piece of exposition that only die hard fans will remember. Bane seems even less likely, as I don't think he's even mentioned in the actual movies.

He wasn't mentioned but he's rumored to have powers strong enough he could become immortal like. He'd have to be immortal at this point because he'd be like 1000 years old or some shit.

I too lean more toward it being a new character. Seems they wanted to introduce a lot of new characters which I approve of and prefer.

Rewatching the original trilogy led me to respect A New Hope more. It doesn't come off as childlish as the others, sort of like the evolution of the Indiana Jones franchise later. Think it's my favorite, but I never appreciated ESB that much.

So I finally saw it last night.

Complaints: Kylo Ren is cool until he takes his helmet off, corny looking actor, wimpy voice, looks nothing like anybody he's related to, despite all his training he gets fucked up by Rey.
Rey is massively OP as a character, is ridiculously competent at everything she does.
Finn and Rey are too familiar with returning characters too quickly, hugging and connecting emotionally with people they barely know and have just met.
Stormtroopers are notoriously bad shots but Finn is on some Hawkeye level shit once he rebels. (That's more a funny criticism though.)
Unnecessary CGI aliens (rather than suits and masks like the older films) which made me feel as if I was watching a Pixar film at times. I wish practical effects would get a resurgence.
A piece of me died when Han Solo died. :(
Felt rushed at times/bad pacing, probably because they burned so much time making you feel comfortable and nostalgic for the first 30 minutes. I guess that's a trade off I can live with.
That moment when all the stormtroopers are in formation, being addressed by General Hux. General Hux's speech was too emotional and didn't really fit in with the coldness they always stressed was a main component of the Empire (now the First Order I guess). He almost had a stroke, definitely could have done without that.

Besides those complaints, I thought it was fantastic!
Felt at times like I was watching an older film even, love that it seems like it was written with no prequel canon in mind at all, as if the prequels don't even exist. BB-8 was cool and worth emotional investment just like R2D2 and C3PO. Score was great. Casting was great. Costumes and sets were great. Rey and Finn acted their butts off considering the pressure they were probably under. Loved all the in-jokes for people that are familiar with the original trilogy. The introduction to stormtrooper backstory into the franchise was a nice surprise.
It truly felt like this film was an apology for years and years of being letdown.

I almost cried when I saw Luke at the end. Absolute props to Mark Hamill for getting into shape too, you can tell he lost a lot of weight.

200_s.gif

Last edited:
Yeah Mark Hamill actually looked really good...he looked like a hermit who had been living alone for fifteen years. I remember seeing him in a documentary recently (I Know That Voice), and it had looked like he let himself go

Reactions: CiG
He was looking REAL bad for awhile there. Also although everybody is talking about how bad Carrie Fisher looked, she certainly also lost A LOT of weight herself.

Decent movie. Older Star Wars movies are a lot better than any of the ones that have came out over recent years. My mother got me a boxset of all the original Star Wars movies. So am going to go in order and watch one in a bit. Can't wait!

Reactions: CiG
Did you know that during the filming of The Empire Strikes Back, Carrie Fisher had a bad coke problem? Random factoid, haha.