Star Wars Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED***

Sure there are similarities, but there is nothing stated or implied to lead to that conclusion. Also it's stated she had a family; what happened with that?

Of course not. Everything is a theory at this point as they intentionally left it vague. However, I think the "Luke is the father" theory is the strongest. In that case, it could be her mother who is leaving her on Jakku.

Edit: Also, it sets up Episode VIII for Luke to say to Rey, "I am your father." I can't see the studio passing up that slam dunk crowd pleaser.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Ozzman
I'm going to stay with that possibility for now unless they state otherwise. I was already spoilered, but I won't actually watch the film until it comes to home video because I will want to watch without distraction.

Of course not. Everything is a theory at this point as they intentionally left it vague. However, I think the "Luke is the father" theory is the strongest. In that case, it could be her mother who is leaving her on Jakku.

Edit: Also, it sets up Episode VIII for Luke to say to Rey, "I am your father." I can't see the studio passing up that slam dunk crowd pleaser.

"I am your father, who also abandoned you on a remote planet to fend for yourself without any help whatsoever and without any likelihood of reconnecting if not for random luck"

Yeah, makes a lot of sense.

I'm going to stay with that possibility for now unless they state otherwise. I was already spoilered, but I won't actually watch the film until it comes to home video because I will want to watch without distraction.

I doubt they would be twins as the age difference between the two actors is significant. They could be siblings though.

"I am your father, who also abandoned you on a remote planet to fend for yourself without any help whatsoever and without any likelihood of reconnecting if not for random luck"

Yeah, makes a lot of sense.

You're assuming a lot.

-Maybe the mother took Rey and put her into hising after Kylo Ren killed the Jedis. It's possible Luke had no say.
-Maybe hiding Rey was the only way Luke could save Rey from being taken by Snoke.
-Maybe Luke set up R2 to only give his location to his daughter.

Right now we just don't know enough to conclude that it's a bad plot. TBD when episode 8 comes out.

I'm not one of those leftist agenda pushers, but I'm amazed that in 2015 there are so many people out there saying things like 'feminist agenda' because there is a cool female character, and 'token black' because there is a black man as one of the main characters.

As pointed out, neither Rey nor Fin need to be any particular sex or race for the story to make sense at this stage. They simply are who they are - and they certainly don't need white skin or a penis for the story to work.

I've seen these complaints in a few places around the internet and it's pretty concerning. The days where heroes need to be white blue eyed males are over. They still can be those things, but they don't have to be.

I thought Fin and Rey were fantastic and fitted the film perfectly. The casting was brilliant. In fact, the only actor I thought was slightly awkward and maybe out of place was the guy playing Ren.

I'm not one of those leftist agenda pushers, but I'm amazed that in 2015 there are so many people out there saying things like 'feminist agenda' because there is a cool female character, and 'token black' because there is a black man as one of the main characters.

As pointed out, neither Rey nor Fin need to be any particular sex or race for the story to make sense at this stage. They simply are who they are - and they certainly don't need white skin or a penis for the story to work.

I've seen these complaints in a few places around the internet and it's pretty concerning. The days where heroes need to be white blue eyed males are over. They still can be those things, but they don't have to be.

I thought Fin and Rey were fantastic and fitted the film perfectly. The casting was brilliant. In fact, the only actor I thought was slightly awkward and maybe out of place was the guy playing Ren.

Well, by definition, Finn is a token black guy. Name one black actor in the rest of the film? That's the point i'm making, that the production company wanted a dual "minority" lead but behind the main character, blacks and other minorities aren't represented. White women though? Everywhereee

Not really trying to argue this even more, and maybe feminism has corrupted my mind so dearly that I hate when I see it, but Rey is the only character in 7 Star Wars films to have this kind of 1 sided power. She has no flaws, and has an answer to every problem she faces. Some will argue that she's Kenobi blood and thus super powerful by birth (blah blah blah), but even Kenobi was trained by Yoda for X amount of years/period of time. So I think it's illogical to assume that. One guy I've talked to thinks Luke is controlling every event in the story and helping Rey along the way, I think that's crazy, but I've noticed Star Wars fans will go to great lengths to believe what they want to believe.

There is also a movement in Hollywood films, especially within the last 10 years, of the "I can be a male female character," simply seen by the Hunger Games or Charlize Theron in the new Mad Max. There was even a preview of another film in this mold, with Chloe Moretz or whatever her name is, before I saw Star Wars. I also understand that marketing isn't random but by choice, which is why I saw that film previewed and a bunch of other G-rated films before Star Wars came on.

Now, when I see that film beforehand and the portrayal of Rey, I consider them to be part of the "feminist agenda" in Hollywood, that male characters become nerdy/less physically dominant and women can do everything a man can do. This is why I find it funny that a 95 lb Rey can win a sword fight against a 180lb former mortarman in the Marine Corps (Kylo Ren). It's also why I find it funny that the scenes where Rey's physical strength would have to be displayed, her carrying Finn at the end, her dragging the grate before Han comes on the Falcon are all quick cuts or simply pawned off on someone else. But if Finn tries to make Rey a "damsel in distress?" what does she say within the first half hour? "I can take care of myself, quit holding my hands!"

So I think you're being naïve if you don't see Rey as yet another depiction of the new female hero (only in Hollywood adolescent aged films mind you) as part of a feminist agenda.

More than anything it's probably the poor character development compared to the original trilogy causing people to call other things into question. The prequels had the same issue but we just chocked that up to Lucas being a silly old man and catering the movies to children v adults. It's easy to jump to "well what else changed?" When comparing to the original trilogy.

Well, by definition, Finn is a token black guy. Name one black actor in the rest of the film? That's the point i'm making, that the production company wanted a dual "minority" lead but behind the main character, blacks and other minorities aren't represented. White women though? Everywhereee

Not really trying to argue this even more, and maybe feminism has corrupted my mind so dearly that I hate when I see it, but Rey is the only character in 7 Star Wars films to have this kind of 1 sided power. She has no flaws, and has an answer to every problem she faces. Some will argue that she's Kenobi blood and thus super powerful by birth (blah blah blah), but even Kenobi was trained by Yoda for X amount of years/period of time. So I think it's illogical to assume that. One guy I've talked to thinks Luke is controlling every event in the story and helping Rey along the way, I think that's crazy, but I've noticed Star Wars fans will go to great lengths to believe what they want to believe.

There is also a movement in Hollywood films, especially within the last 10 years, of the "I can be a male female character," simply seen by the Hunger Games or Charlize Theron in the new Mad Max. There was even a preview of another film in this mold, with Chloe Moretz or whatever her name is, before I saw Star Wars. I also understand that marketing isn't random but by choice, which is why I saw that film previewed and a bunch of other G-rated films before Star Wars came on.

Now, when I see that film beforehand and the portrayal of Rey, I consider them to be part of the "feminist agenda" in Hollywood, that male characters become nerdy/less physically dominant and women can do everything a man can do. This is why I find it funny that a 95 lb Rey can win a sword fight against a 180lb former mortarman in the Marine Corps (Kylo Ren). It's also why I find it funny that the scenes where Rey's physical strength would have to be displayed, her carrying Finn at the end, her dragging the grate before Han comes on the Falcon are all quick cuts or simply pawned off on someone else. But if Finn tries to make Rey a "damsel in distress?" what does she say within the first half hour? "I can take care of myself, quit holding my hands!"

So I think you're being naïve if you don't see Rey as yet another depiction of the new female hero (only in Hollywood adolescent aged films mind you) as part of a feminist agenda.

I like Rey but they did overcompensate with some of the dialog. Leia was a good example of a strong female character- aside from the metal bikini in Jedi which was clearly exploiting her femininity. I'd rather they neither exploit nor overcompensate feminity and just let people be people and not try so hard to sway things one way or the other.

Good story/dialog should trump all political (feminist) and sex sells marketing (catering to men) and be the only consideration...

-Highly force sensitive
-A natural pilot (like Anakin and Luke)
- A natural mechanic (like Anakin)
-Luke/Anakin's lightsaber "calls" to her
-R2D2 (Luke/Anakin's droid) suddenly turns on when Rey arrives
-Han offers her a job, just like he offered Luke in ANH
-like Luke, she's an orphan
-like Luke, she comes from a desert planet
-Rey dresses like Luke in Episode IV
-Luke's theme plays when Rey force-grabs the light saber
-Rey is the one sent to find Luke at the end of the film

I just got back from seeing it. Fuck did I mark out hard. Everything Crimson has said is spot on. They are all valid points. Even if she isn't Luke's daughter, there is some connection to someone who has dealt with the force.

Rey's character was awesome. The whole thing was perfect, the only thing I'm pissed off about is that starkiller planet. We already had a deathstar and it literally ended up being destroyed the exact same way.

One thing is for certain, theirs gonna be a badass lightsaber duel between Kylo Ren and Rey. SHITS GONNA GET REAL!

I saw the new one and I don't see what makes the old ones so much better. I guess I'm not that big of a fan.

Just to jump in...finally got around to seeing it last night. I really liked it, but yeah they definitely need to move away from giant planet destroying weapons.

I'm also vouching for Rey being Han and Leia's daughter...that embrace at the end was a little motherly. I am glad, however, they killed Han Solo. If he had lived after that bonding moment with Kylo Ren, I would've been more pissed. Interestingly, Ford also gave the idea of Han being killed in Return of the Jedi as sacrificing himself for the cause. Looks like he's been wanting out for a while

It seems that the only repetitive thing people get annoyed with is the Death Star 2.0..not the fact that the entire story line mimics the original trilogy haha. So strange to me.

similar to why Luke and Leia were separated...both are strong with the force, so it's best to keep them in hiding?

Why? They won the war and have a new fledgling government. There isn't a huge evil colossus hunting the jedi anymore so that would be pointless.

It seems that the only repetitive thing people get annoyed with is the Death Star 2.0..not the fact that the entire story line mimics the original trilogy haha. So strange to me.

Yeah, I mean that was my issue with it overall. And unlike the New Hope, there was never any kind of doubt that they would succeed and few main characters would die. Han's death was the only surprise of the whole thing.

I think it might be intentionally similar in a cyclical kind of way. I will comment more once I watch the movie, but all of the spoilers that I've seen make me think this.

kyUMqfU.jpg