Started on the final song for my album - rate my idea!

This is the first time I've wanted to pick up a bass in ages, Erkan. Thanks for the inspiration.

Here is my shot at bass. I will admit I mixed it a little loud so you could hear it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1569935/Erkan Bass.mp3

Sounds cool

Although then you're left with a bit of a dilemma.. do you mix it distorted like you did for that typical 'djenty' sound, or do you keep it clean? Personally I'd go for a BTBAM/Mudvayne style, finger not pick.. really tight in the lowmids so you can hear all the melodies clearly. But then the guitars won't sound as good. :/

Luckily I'm not the one having to make this decision. Can't wait to hear the final thing with a decent mix and with the cymbals not pumping like bitches.

This is the first time I've wanted to pick up a bass in ages, Erkan. Thanks for the inspiration.

Here is my shot at bass. I will admit I mixed it a little loud so you could hear it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1569935/Erkan Bass.mp3

Greg, I'm glad I could inspire you to pick up the bass man! Awesome ^^

The playing was cool, although I haven't given the bass guitar any thought yet. I was kinda surprised to hear a bass guitar... felt weird after making 11 songs without any bass guitar in them haha =) Did you distort the whole bass track without splitting the signal? The low-mids seem to be a bit flubby, maybe from the distortion.

I sort of have a bassist to lay bass on this IRL but I have no idea how it's gonna work out, we haven't tried anything yet. It'd be awesome to have someone in backup... you know what I'm saying? =)

Sounds cool

Although then you're left with a bit of a dilemma.. do you mix it distorted like you did for that typical 'djenty' sound, or do you keep it clean? Personally I'd go for a BTBAM/Mudvayne style, finger not pick.. really tight in the lowmids so you can hear all the melodies clearly. But then the guitars won't sound as good. :/

Luckily I'm not the one having to make this decision. Can't wait to hear the final thing with a decent mix and with the cymbals not pumping like bitches.

Exactly, BTBAM bass or just another growly bass? Dilemma indeed :|

I can't wait to hear the final thing too... with real drums, bass guitar, guitars with fresh strings, vocals, everything! Yum!

dude that's tighter than an extra large condom on my penis!

fucking sweet riffage, too, it's scary that you can write that much.. i can only ever seem to write the first minute, and the last 30 seconds of songs, the bit in between is impossible for me! haha.

i can honestly say, i've *never* had an issue with playing too tight. tight enough to lose the stereo image?! fuck RIGHT off.

can't wait to hear it when it's finished!

oh, is that the TSEX30 ? guitar tone is also pretty good!

thanks,

dude that's tighter than an extra large condom on my penis!

fucking sweet riffage, too, it's scary that you can write that much.. i can only ever seem to write the first minute, and the last 30 seconds of songs, the bit in between is impossible for me! haha.

i can honestly say, i've *never* had an issue with playing too tight. tight enough to lose the stereo image?! fuck RIGHT off.

can't wait to hear it when it's finished!

oh, is that the TSEX30 ? guitar tone is also pretty good!

thanks,

Haha I like your attitude :D So how big is your pe- oh no no, let's not stray from the thread :) Alright enough gay jokes... so uhm, yeah as I said - I seem to have drastically improved my tightness just by listening to, well, tight music. Textures REALLY got me into all this tightness seriouz bzness. I'm thinking of editing the guitars once I record them for real but I don't think I'll need much editing... thankfully. If I only played the drums as tight, it would've been sweeeeeeeet! We'll see how that goes :)

No that's not the TSEX30, it's my standard WarpVST chain. Yes, WarpVST, the old crappy amp sim that no one uses :) It does really suck, but after MANY hours with it, I was able to extract a tone out of it which I haven't been able to do with any sim so far. I've come pretty close frequency-wise with the TSEX30 but I couldn't get the same "smooshy" highs. The X30 is a bit sharper/harder/scratchier/colder in the highs as opposed to the "molten"/warm/smooshy highs of Warp. That's how I perceive it at least.

Awesome! :D

That with vocals kicks ass!

It does? I haven't even heard that with Vocals yet Erik, how do YOU know? OMG, have you been singing to this? Let me hear! Hahaha, just messin' with ya =) Yea, I'm REALLY looking forward to the vocal session for this project. My singer is writing lyrics right now, and I hope to do some vocals on the project too, just to get into some new territory for myself. I suck at singing so we'll see what happens, it'd be fun to do some gang vocals and shit. I'd like to write the lyrics for a couple of the songs to get some stuff "off of my chest" but I suck at writing lyrics =(

Greg, I'm glad I could inspire you to pick up the bass man! Awesome ^^

The playing was cool, although I haven't given the bass guitar any thought yet. I was kinda surprised to hear a bass guitar... felt weird after making 11 songs without any bass guitar in them haha =) Did you distort the whole bass track without splitting the signal? The low-mids seem to be a bit flubby, maybe from the distortion.

I sort of have a bassist to lay bass on this IRL but I have no idea how it's gonna work out, we haven't tried anything yet. It'd be awesome to have someone in backup... you know what I'm saying? =)

Exactly, BTBAM bass or just another growly bass? Dilemma indeed :|

I can't wait to hear the final thing too... with real drums, bass guitar, guitars with fresh strings, vocals, everything! Yum!

I did distort everything. I did this as a test, not as anything final.

It's okay if you have someone. I just wanted to have fun.

Again, awesome track.

-Greg

Awesome song! You got some seriously insane riffing going on there, i couldn't but to give in to some head nodding :)

I would love recording some real drums on this, but since i consider you a better drummer then myself i don't think it's necessary. Would love to give it a shot though! And as everyone here i'm very very curious how the final product will sound :)

Scha-weet tune you got there man...

I agree with morgan though, i can totally imagine a ryan martinie style bass melody line through that song...

NO FUCKING VOCALS IN THIS PROJECT >:{ ITS PERFECT AS IT IS >:{ >:{ >:{ >:{ >:{ >:{
FUCKING SERIOUSLY

i WILL get joe pesci to come down here and put ice picks in your balls if you put vocals on this shit

Haha wow, thread got ressurected! Awesome! Just because of that, I will post this link to a new version of the song with added synths and crap. Not "final" in any way of course, I will probably change a whole lot in the synths and stuff but just to give you an idea. You guys are VERY welcome to comment on the choise of "backing chords" from the strings and so on, ESPECIALLY in the chorus. I chose to do the synths that way in the chorus because it gave the song a very different feel and I was not prepared for that but I thought it sounded kinda dramatic so I kept it. What do you think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/585020/Hohiho 118 bpm.mp3

Fuck yeah! I'm also gonna go ahead and link Behindert's added guitar godness on the pre-chorus. Haven't asked him if it's OK that I link it but it's so beautiful - I just HAVE to let you hear this snippet. I just dig Behindert's style... no matter what he plays, he makes it sound tits.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/389199/Hohihotest1.mp3

The clip is on Behindert's dropbox so it might vanish whenever he decides to.

new intro is so drone
not really digging the strings EXCEPT for in the chorus. i think strings in metal are best employed near the end of a track to really make the track swell and go to a higher level

What are you using for Strings now Erkan? Still that Soundfont, or did you pick up the EastWest free string thing that was on around Xmas?

Still the free soundfont ones but I have downloaded the EWQL free stuff too, I just haven't gotten around to using them yet but I've tried them and they sound way fuller and just generally more "real". It shouldn't take me too long before I slap EWQL free on the strings for all songs =) Not that the soundfonts are bad but they aren't that "real", but still nice just to fill out the melodies.

new intro is so drone
not really digging the strings EXCEPT for in the chorus. i think strings in metal are best employed near the end of a track to really make the track swell and go to a higher level

Hmm I think you're right or at least you have a good point there. I've been using strings like everywhere lately on these songs and I have asked myself several times if I'm not killing the dynamics in the songs by doing that. I think the answer is leaning towards a "yes" so I think I'll back off on the strings or just maybe make them play something less noticable. I'm glad you liked the strings in the chorus because I do too!

yeah man those strings make it perfect for me!
the sound is just not my cup of tea...maybe try out the EW
also in the chorus its just rad!
but i guess you just mixed them so loud now because you wanted them to be better hearable, ay?

yeah man those strings make it perfect for me!
the sound is just not my cup of tea...maybe try out the EW
also in the chorus its just rad!
but i guess you just mixed them so loud now because you wanted them to be better hearable, ay?

Yeah I will definately try the EWQL free once stuff is tracked and I'm ready to mix. Yup, the mix is nowhere "final" so I've sort of mixed stuff the way I've felt it needed to be for me to hear stuff and judge if they're good and so on.. therefore some synths/strings are really loud and so on.

This is not symphonic metal though so the mix will emphasize the foundation which is the usual drums, bass and guitars (and of course vocals). Everything else is supposed to be sort of below everything else just to fill out some room and thicken up the sound but without being so protruding as in symphonic metal where the orchestra is almost the "main" thing in the mix.