Started on the final song for my album - rate my idea!

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
There's no point in rating the mix, it's just a scratch track with crap fake drums and no bass guitar but I guess the "Rate my mix" section is still the right place to put these things in.

So I hadn't written anything new for a month or so now since I thought I was done with all the writing for my album but I just got this incredible urge to make something really fucking heavy so here it is. A lot of the stuff I have shown so far may be of the heavier/djentier side of things and so is this one but I assure you.. the album has a lot of melodic/harmonic/beautiful things so that's why I felt the urge to create something really heavy.

I also realized it sounds a bit like Meshuggah but I also realized I have ZERO inspiration from Meshuggah in my music. Does this sound weird? Yeah it does, considering the music I play and how I play it. The thing is, I find myself being inspired by bands that are inspired by Meshuggah, but I find no inspiration from Meshuggah themselves, haha... kinda whacked out! Still, inspiration or not, Meshuggah is one hell of a pillar which supports all the awesome music that is being created today. Props to those crazy swedes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/585020/Hohiho 118 bpm.mp3

I'm currently at the end of the second chorus... thinking about an interlude but I have done that on many songs already. I'd like to have something different in this song, but still "interlude-ish". Hmm hmm, maybe you guys can help with ideas?

the chorus is awesome!:headbang:
i would add a slow and quiet part at the end followed by a heavy breakdown...but there are endless possibilities, ya know:)

I like it. After the chorus you can slow down and try something like this:

Listen around 1.42m. I think that might work very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
the melodic chorus is great, the rest rocks ;)

if you don't want to do another interlude thing, maybe it makes sense to try to arrange some of the riffs (chorus *cough*) into clean guitar, or synth or bouth?
or you make up something on bass and do some bass soloish thing.
although the "quiet part at the end followed by a heavy breakdown" thing would also work...even if i dont think that there has to be more heaviness. dunno, arranging is always a pita of you have too much ideas...but better than blank sheet though.....
anyway, horns up! \m/

Very nice tight playing, and dig the song even though is a bit weird for my simple mind.

I'd like to add that most of the times, technical ultra-difficult stuff doesn't mean that is gonna be more succesful or better. Sometimes easy things is what really works.

Read through all replies, thanks a lot for liking it and I updated the song with a new version. I ended up with an interlude again, but a short one this time... hmm not sure how it'll hold up but the part after the interlude is really nice, and then it ties back to the fast part that was before the first chorus. I didn't have enough inspiration to continue for today so I'll let it wait until tomorrow. Oh and... I accidentally rendered the whole project, including all the strange parts and shit I had thrown off to the side so there's no need to listen once the drums go solo in the end, that's where the song ends for now. =)

\m/

You guys are awesome.

Oh and Marcus, if you're reading this, I tried SoloC on the parts where the guitar sounds mono because I got lucky and played "too tight" - it still sounds mono so it's not WarpVST :( Haha, I actually got like 3 or so "identical" notes again when I was tracking this scratch track today.

Anyone who is wondering what I'm talking about... I often (3-4 times per song) encounter "identical notes". This happens when I double track a part and I get lucky and play so (accidentally) tight that the stereo image disappears on that single note. It sounds like the guitars suddenly go from stereo to mono on a single note so I have to go in and edit that note in particular. Moving one of the guitars forward a few ms solves the problem. Annoying stuff!

dude that riff after the clean part has some serious balls. great one!

@ identical notes: 3-4 timas a SONG? dude your playing has to be ass-tight o.Ô
happened 2 times on the whole album i was recording :rofl:

dude that riff after the clean part has some serious balls. great one!

@ identical notes: 3-4 timas a SONG? dude your playing has to be ass-tight o.Ô
happened 2 times on the whole album i was recording :rofl:

Thanks man! :)

Haha yeah... uh, I don't know what has happened with me lately but I do play MUCH tighter than I did a year ago. I haven't really practised guitar at all, but what has changed since a year is that I started listening to bands that are sort of "djenty". I think that subconsciously made me think waaaaay more about my rhythm playing, thus improving it tremendously. I have grown a lot since last winter and I have realized everything is about rhythm. The simplest of all melodies can sound incredibly gorgeous if you just phrase the timing right.

Thanks man! :)

Haha yeah... uh, I don't know what has happened with me lately but I do play MUCH tighter than I did a year ago. I haven't really practised guitar at all, but what has changed since a year is that I started listening to bands that are sort of "djenty". I think that subconsciously made me think waaaaay more about my rhythm playing, thus improving it tremendously. I have grown a lot since last winter and I have realized everything is about rhythm. The simplest of all melodies can sound incredibly gorgeous if you just phrase the timing right.

no prob ;)

yeah that's maybe be it..dunno, myrhythm riffs don't consist of too many single note riffs or are djenty-stylish...that's why I was even more surprised when i experienced that mono thing the first time...cuz it was during a slide note in a chord...strange stuff, had to be really random tough :rofl: