Starting My Own Amp Company

I'm a designer so if you want to someone to design the amp (as a 3d model) and do the logotypes and shit, hit me up.

As to my taste, i think that rectifiers look really good, as do bogner uberschalls. they have raw power written all over them.

On the opposite spectrum, i take the 5150 III as one fuggly amp:zombie::

img_5675_950.jpg

Does anyone know how to do a patent search?
Reason I ask is I think my 100/50 watt switching idea might be protected by Mesa.....

Edit- Nevermind, Google did it for me. They just have a patent for the Single Ended/Push Pull switching and for the diode/rectifier switching.

I'm a designer so if you want to someone to design the amp (as a 3d model) and do the logotypes and shit, hit me up.

As to my taste, i think that rectifiers look really good, as do bogner uberschalls. they have raw power written all over them.
QUOTE]

I may take you up on that offer. When I get some ideas I will throw them your way...

I think you should name your amp company "AFH", "Amps From Heaven". Haha. or "Hell".

I was just going to go with Wolfe Amplification. I like it simple:p

For amp names I want something completly original.... Haven't come up with anything yet

I was just going to go with Wolfe Amplification. I like it simple:p

For amp names I want something completly original.... Haven't come up with anything yet

Wolfe Amplification sounds cool. I like it.

You could have a "Heaven & Hell" series of models with the amps that have heavenly cleans and Hellish gain. :lol:

Assrip Amplification
Fukamp
Bonair
Reamer Amps
Tinnitus Designs
DamageTone
Hellhound
Crushing Db
RiffWorks
Altar
ImmoralTech
Bowelsmasher
Noxious Note Inc.
SadistTrain
ShredSack
Corruption Gear

Wolfe, the Mark series was one I hadn't thought of - but you hit it right on the head.

Also, PLEASE be careful with the bass control between gain stages. Actually, if you could have a master knob or two that controlled bass between gain stages that would be a guaranteed knob of fucking win incarnate.

Oh, and show solid-state some love. If you want to model an amp with MOSFETs instead of tubes I would love to tinker with it.

Jeff

What I'd like to see:

For a recording amp, anyway, I think an amp should be exceptional at one thing. I'd rather have one fantastic tone than 500 shitty ones (damn, I hope someone from Line6 is reading this!)

Let's say, 2 channels, clean & dirty. Preferably put the work into the dirty channel. Fuck the reverb, fuck the clean boost... just give me the basics as far as that shit is concerned.
I really enjoy amps where the treble & presence controls play off each other, like on a 5150, Madison Divinity, or a Recto.
On the power section, however, I'd love for it to be easy to bias (Yes, a bias pot would be wonderful!) AND make it easy to switch tube types... 6L6, EL34, and howabout an integrated quad? say, 6L6/KT88?
Make the effects loop switchable. I want that shit out of my signal path.

As for transformers, check out hammond:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/guitarLine.htm
Pete Traynor used to drop these into his amps back in the 60's. Seriously great stuff!

Anyway, you're located in Ohio, right? Bring one up to Windsor for me to put thru it's paces & I'll take you out to the Million Dollar, Cheetah's, Lepoard's, or Studio 4. Your choice. :)

What I'd like to see:

For a recording amp, anyway, I think an amp should be exceptional at one thing. I'd rather have one fantastic tone than 500 shitty ones (damn, I hope someone from Line6 is reading this!)

I agree totally. Look at the SLO, Uber, JCM800, JC-120, etc. etc..... All do one thing very well. That is why I want to make three amps... I can cater to everyone. Want a studio amp? Get the single channel. Want a 3 channels for live use? Buy the 3 channel amp. I'm almost considering doing what Peters does, and offer a choice of distinct channels to go in the amp...

I really enjoy amps where the treble & presence controls play off each other, like on a 5150, Madison Divinity, or a Recto

It shall be done!

On the power section, however, I'd love for it to be easy to bias (Yes, a bias pot would be wonderful!) AND make it easy to switch tube types... 6L6, EL34, and howabout an integrated quad? say, 6L6/KT88?

I was planning on making them adjustable by pair, with a very wide range. So as long as you run matched pairs, you can use any combination of 6L6, EL34, KT88, whatever you want!(Sorry Peter Diezel, I'm so stealing, oops I mean borrowing your designs):headbang:

As for transformers, check out hammond:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/guitarLine.htm
Pete Traynor used to drop these into his amps back in the 60's. Seriously great stuff!

I used a few Hammond transformers in some of the first AX84 project amps I built, so they are certainly an option. I also like Weber's iron, and if I can keep prices down elsewhere, I may look into getting some customs built by some 'famous' companies. Sadly, if you don't bulk order from some transformer companies, they jack the price way too high.

Anyway, you're located in Ohio, right? Bring one up to Windsor for me to put thru it's paces & I'll take you out to the Million Dollar, Cheetah's, Lepoard's, or Studio 4. Your choice. :)

Yep. Fairly short drive for me. I'm going to remember this offer:kickass:

Seriously you should provide power for the pedals fx, 3 or 4 power outputs to power 9v pedals.
Well I got my eq pedal always in the loop, lying on the top of the amp, but I need another wall socket to use with it because I don't use batteries (I hate them).
An amp that can provide power to pedals that we use in the effects loop, would be so great, you can provide short cables, you don't need long cables.
I think nobody thought about this!! it's really a solution for people like me (I think a lot of people do this) who don't carry another rack to put pedals in.

well if you can get em over to england i'd fucking love one!!
sadly though i want the impossible,
Ac30 clean, switching to somewhere between a 5150/jcm800 with a tubescreamer in front.... only three different sorts of valves.... easy ;-)

Seriously you should provide power for the pedals fx, 3 or 4 power outputs to power 9v pedals.
I feel the opposite way. I would rather have a really fantastic sounding head that's affordable than build in a thousand bells and whistles that drive up the price and would make it a PITA to get serviced.

I feel the opposite way. I would rather have a really fantastic sounding head that's affordable than build in a thousand bells and whistles that drive up the price and would make it a PITA to get serviced.

YES, especially cuz I can't ever see myself not using just my soon-to-be purchased Line 6 HD147 for live playing, so any tube amp I'm gonna get in the future is gonna be for studio use ONLY.

Yeah it would be cheaper/easier just to buy a Pedal Power or similar device to power your pedals.

And whatever transformer I go with, it will most certainly be multi country friendly.

I've been looking at a bunch of schematics trying to piece all the features I want together..... I'll probably have set schematics by January.

Remember to put a switching power supply in there. I'm consistently dumbfounded by high-end amps only working with one voltage. Make it accept 100-240 volts at 50 or 60 hz, with a 3-pin IEC connector.